004

Cogs of the Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, she did her usual activities and when she had finally done all of that, she decided to go to McD’s for breakfast. Heading inside, she stood in the long line up, thinking to herself of what she wanted. The usual that Jihoon normally ordered for her. An Egg McMuffin Combo with a cup of orange juice. When it was finally her turn, she, yet again, came face-to-face with Taeyang.

“Hi!” he greeted, recognizing her. She gave no expression and only waved as a response.

“One Egg McMuffin combo and orange juice.” she ordered.

“Will that be all?” he asked. She nodded and paid as he sent the bill through.

“Yo Young-bae!” his manager called. ‘If you don’t hurry up, you’ll be late for your other job!”

“Yep! Thanks!” he called back. Taking his hat off, he rushed into the back and he was no longer seen.

“Here’s your order!” someone else told Ailee, handing her her bag of food. Ailee nodded in thanks and left the building, back to her own.

“Yo!” Jihoon greeted as Ailee entered her dorm. “Awww… and I was going to find you for breakfast.”

“I saw him again today.” Ailee told him, taking her shoes off and making her way to the dining table.

“Where?” he asked.

“McDs.” she replied. “he was in a rush to head to a different job after he took my order.”

“Well, having more than one part time job is not uncommon.” Jihoon responded, rubbing his chin. Ailee looked down at her feet, not knowing how to think.

The next morning, she went for her usual morning jog and when she was on her way to her private training area, she found someone unexpected, lounging against a tree she normally climbs. Ignoring him, she decided to travel a little further down to do her training when he spoke up.

“Pretty girls like you shouldn’t wander so far deep into the woods.” he smirked, scanning her profile.

“Who are you, trying to tell me what and what not to do?” she challenged, stopping in her tracks. Getting up he brushed off the dirt and extended his hand towards her.

“Park Jin-Young, but my friends call me Jr. Nice to meet you.” he introduced. But Ailee only stood there awkwardly, not understanding the meaning of his extended hand.

“You’re the awkward type aren’t you?” he grinned, taking his hand and slipping it into his pocket. But she didn’t respond. His motives, his movement, his choice in vocabulary. None of this made sense to her for she had never talked to anyone before besides her victims and people of the organization. But she never really talked to the people of the organization. It was more like they talked to her whenever they need to give her instructions, missions or training, thus, not many interactions were made. Also, all who interacted with her were well aware that she’s an AI so they try to distance themselves from her, her boss and Jihoon being the only exceptions.

“Well, I’ve seen you quite often before. But in a flash, you disappear deep in the woods. Do you like it here?” he asked.

“Again, how does my business concern you?” she decided to counter.

“Woah, back up. No need to be so defensive. I’m only trying to make conversation.” he laughed. That made her raise an eyebrow. ‘Making conversation’ didn’t exactly fit anywhere in her vocabulary. Nonetheless, she didn’t want to talk nor was she interested. So without saying any further, she turned and jogged her way further into the forest. But he only followed. Annoyed, she took a sudden turn and ran further into the forest, making sure to cut in as many directions as possible to lose him. But Jr knew that forest too well to get lost. Catching up to her was a piece of cake. All of a sudden, she stopped.

“Why do you follow me?” she questioned with a bored expression.

“You interest me.” he grinned. “Tryna play hard to get aren’t you?”

“What’s this ‘hard to get’ you speak of?” she asked.

“What? You don’t know what ‘hard to get’ means?” he exclaimed. “You’re an odd one.” Realizing that he was never intending on answering her question, she kept on going. But the more she went was pretty much hopeless since he didn’t seem to have learned to give up. So she decided to go back to her dorm. But even then, he continued to follow her.

When they reached the gates, the guards nodded at her return. “Ms. Lee” they greeted. Ailee nodded back and jogged her way to the entrance. Jr attempted to follow but the guards blocked him.

“I’m sorry but outsiders are not allowed in without prior notice.” a guard reported.

“Hey, calm down guys. I’m with her.” he pointed. But Ailee’s heightened hearing caught his words before she entered the building.

“No he’s not. I don’t know him. Don’t allow him in.” Ailee told them.

“You hear her. She does not know you. Thus, we are not permitted to allow you in.” the guard reported.

“Okay!” Jr replied,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter