001

Cogs of the Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The soft sound of beeping was all that was heard as consciousness was slowly flooding into her. Slowly opening her eyes, she woke up to find herself in a room which was of nothing but white. On the bottom corner of her right eye, she noticed a green light blinking. Looking around, she tried to figure out where that light was coming from but it there doesn’t seem to be a source. No matter where she looked, the light continues to stay there, blinking.

Ignoring that, she looked down and saw rings spinning in opposite directions around where she laid. Feeling the surface, it was a hard, cold metal. The metal surface she laid upon was the only thing that was a colour besides white. Groaning, she tried to get up but her body wouldn’t budge. Her muscles, her arms, legs, body, everything felt as stiff as a rock. The only thing she was able to control was her facial features and a little bit of her neck. The only other thing she was able to recognize was the sense of touch. Everything else was immobilized.

Looking at her body, she noticed the sides of her arms, torso and legs had large tube like objects plugged into her. The tubes were bulky and lead to the beeping machine next to her with a lot of distance left over and carelessly pushed off to the side.

“I see you’ve finally awakened.” a loud screeching voice said from above. Rolling her eyes around, she tried to figure out where the voice was coming from. But there was no one. All of a sudden, the soft sound of automatic doors were heard sliding open as a couple of footsteps were heard approaching her. The man wore green baggy pants and a white lab coat with a dark navy top. She would examine his shoes as well but they were under the table so she wasn’t able to see anything.

Next, she tried to examine his face, but his bangs covered half of his face. He pushed his glasses up, pulled up a floating blue screen, pushed a couple of buttons and the circling rings slid all the way down the metal table and hid themselves at it’s foot. Later, he pushed a few more buttons and she felt a sudden rush through her whole body.

Smiling, he turned to her, “Try to get up.” Doing as asked, she attempted to get up again, this time, feeling free and flexible.

“Good.” he smiled. “Next, try moving your body. It’ll feel funny at first but it shouldn’t be much of a problem. Feel free to get up and try to walk too.” Hopping off the table, she slowly tried to walk. As he said, it did feel a little funny to her as she fluctuated her fingers and wiggled her toes but she brushed off the weird feeling. Slowly understanding how her body works, she gave no emotion. She didn’t even smile. She only looked at the hands and feet that she didn’t recognize. In fact, she didn’t recognize anything. The room she’s in, the person she’s with even herself. She didn’t know herself or who she was. It was then that she realized that she had no memory, no recognition of anything. Nothing. Not even her own name.

“Congratulations.” he smiled brightly. “Welcome to the world.” Turning her head to face him, she tilted her head in confusion. Looking at her reaction, he did nothing but giggle a little as he unplugged all the tubes from her body. The tubes were attached to circular metal rings around her body, including one behind her head. Under those tubes were circular covers which the man had to shut one by one to disguise all the holes. The cover sealed against her skin and they made it look seemingless around her. If you didn’t look closely enough, you would’ve never known that those were there in the first place.

“Please put this on and then follow me.” he requested, handing her a patient's cloak that you would normally see people wearing in hospitals.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter