007

Temporary Pleasure

Taeheon met Siwan again when he was checking out of the hotel. Taeheon helped him carry his bag, even though it wasn't necessary. He only wanted some extra time to talk with him.

 

"The renovation in my apartment has been finished, so I'm going home." Siwan seemed cheerful. "You should come and visit me."

 

"Really?"

 

"Well, after the apartment's been fixed up it makes sense to have guests. Why don't you come over on your night off? I'll cook for you."

 

Taeheon was surprised. He had just prepared himself to say goodbye to Siwan for the last time. He stuttered a response. "Sure, I'll let you know when I'm not working..."

 

"What should I cook? Ah, my manager is here. Send me a message later." Taeheon handed him the bag and he waved brightly as he walked down the steps of the entrance.

 

###

 

That night, when Taeheon got home he took out his phone and studied the new messages over and over.

 

Is Wednesday okay? I have to think of something to make. I feel pressure...

 

Taeheon thought of how to reply. Really, it wasn't any effort at all, he should just say "Wednesday is fine, I like salads..." but for some reason he hesitated. He put his phone back in his pocket and removed his shoes. He felt like doing ordinary things. Talking to Siwan was too surreal.

 

There was a muffled sound coming from the other room, suggesting that his housemate was home. As usual, his housemate had left a pile of his things on the kitchen bench. Taeheon picked them off one by one, books, a jacket, a wallet and a bus pass. He stopped suddenly when he saw a magazine with Siwan's photo on the cover. He was posed with his index finger pressed against his lip, and his eyes focused faraway into the distance. Taeheon held the magazine for a long time, staring at the picture. How could he possibly be a real person?

 

The magazine belonged to Heecheol. He might let me keep it, Taeheon thought. He remembered that Heecheol was home, and it occurred to him that Heecheol might be someone he could talk to. Heecheol was open minded and he enjoyed giving advice to people. Taeheon considered it; if he didn't tell someone about what had happened with Siwan he would start to question whether any of it had even happened at all.

 

Heecheol was by himself in the back room playing video games. He turned it off when Taeheon came to sit beside him. They usually ignored each other at home, so Heecheol was immediately suspicious at Taeheon coming to speak with him.

 

"How is Hyosun?" he asked before Taeheon could say anything.

 

"She's good, my sister says she's doing okay at school, at least for the time being."

 

"Does she still need the operation?"

 

"Yeah, but my brother-in-law thinks they can't afford it. It's expensive surgery, but the doctor said she's going to end up completely deaf in a couple of years."

 

Heecheol nodded thoughtfully. "That's rough."

 

"I'm saving as much as I can... my sister really wants it."

 

Heecheol noticed that Taeheon was holding the magazine. "My girlfriend left that with me, you can keep it if you want."

 

"Hmm." Taeheon looked down at the picture again, hoping to draw some inspiration for what to say next. "Do you know him, Yim Siwan?"

 

"Yeah, he's an actor. Why?"

 

"He stayed at the hotel last week. I met him."

 

"What was he like?"

 

"He was nice... he liked me. He liked me a lot, actually."

 

Heecheol frowned. "You mean...?"

 

"He invited me to his room at night, and um... I know it sounds strange, but it happened. He gave me his phone number and now he's asking me to come to his apartment." Taeheon pulled his phone out of his pocket in case Heecheol wanted to see proof.

 

"Wow, that's daebak," Heecheol said, but he was still frowning. He was staring into the corner of the room and thinking hard about something.

 

"I thought it was weird, so I had to tell someone. Promise you won't tell this to anybody."

 

"Hmm..." After a moment, Heecheol finally returned from his deep thought. "I read somewhere that he's worth a couple of billion won. I can't remember exactly how much, but enough to afford to pay for Hyosun's surgery I suspect."

 

Taeheon hadn't even thought of that. "But I can't just ask him to pay for my niece's surgery. I only met him a week ago."

 

"But you don't have to ask him..." Heecheol turned to face Taeheon with a serious expression. "He's a famous actor and you slept with him. You have his text messages, right? If he doesn't give you the money you can go to the newspapers..."

 

Taeheon blinked at him in disbelief. "Blackmail him? Are you crazy?"

 

"I know it isn't nice, but it's practical. You wanted to talk to me because you wanted my advice. That's my advice. I know you love that kid... don't let this opportunity pass."

 

"If you say so..."

 

Heecheol went back to playing his game, and Taeheon retreated to his bedroom. He got ready for bed, trying to put the whole dilemma out of his mind. Before he climbed into bed, he looked at the magazine one more time. Sighing sadly, he traced a finger along the image of Siwan's bottom lip. He remembered their night together. Somehow their bodies had just fit together, in a way Taeheon had never imagined to be possible. He turned the pages of the magazine and looked at the other photos of Siwan as a dull ache built up inside of him. He thought he must be in love with Siwan - he had never felt attraction to anyone like this before.

 

But Heecheol's advice still stuck with him.

 

I know you love that kid...

 

Then Kwanghee's words from the night before floated back to him.

 

You work as a bell boy in a hotel and you're not exactly handsome...

 

Taeheon slammed the magazine closed and tossed it aside. They were both right. He had no right to be dating a movie star. He would get the money for Hyosun and that was that.

 

He turned out his light, but as he was about to sleep he remembered that he had not yet replied to Siwan's message. He took out his phone and reread Siwan's words. I feel pressure... He was filled with a strange sensation as he thought about Siwan stressing over what to cook, and a wave of affection come over him. He wrote back:

 

"Why don't we cook together? I'll bring some ingredients when I come."