002

Temporary Pleasure

 

Siwan arrived at the hotel at around 9pm with only his travel bag. He wore a face mask the whole way, which he preferred to wear whenever he travelled alone. It would prevent people from recognising him.

 

Even as he walked up the street he could not shake his melancholy. Was it really melancholy, or discontent? He was deep in thought and did not pay attention to the road. Before he could react, a speeding scooter knocked him back onto the foot path and he lost a hold of his bag. Feeling dazzled, he was helped to his feet by a man in a red jacket.

 

It was an employee of the hotel. They were only a few paces from the entrance. The employee smiled and picked up Siwan's bag.

 

"All in one piece?"

 

Siwan was not able to reply. Everything had happened so quickly, the scooter, the foot path, being lifted up by this man who was now standing smiling and holding Siwan's bag.

 

"Are you alright sir?"

 

"I was... I was just about to check in."

 

"Very good sir, I can help you with that."

 

The employee put a hand on Siwan's arm, to keep him steady and Siwan realised just how hard his heart was beating. He must have been in shock.

 

He was lead into the hotel as if in a dream and he said very little. The porter took him all the way to his room, still carrying the travel bag.

 

"Are you sure you're alright? You still look a bit shaken."

 

"Ah..." Siwan blushed. "I'll be fine. I don't want to keep you."

 

The porter smiled and shook his head. "My shift is over for today. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. But if you're alright then I guess I'll be getting going."

 

To his own surprise Siwan felt reluctant to let go of him. There was something oddly comforting about this stranger's presence. In a rather spontaneous move, he pulled the face mask down and said, "I'm Yim Siwan."

 

The porter smiled and nodded. "I know. I checked off your name at the desk."

 

Siwan couldn't tell if he had been recognised or not. There was an awkward silence, which was promptly filled by the porter giving a half-bow. "You meant to introduce yourself. I'm sorry. My name is Kim Taeheon, pleased to meet you."

 

This bumbling introduction was endearing to Siwan. He couldn't help but smile. "Do you want to sit down with me?"

 

Kim Taeheon quickly came to sit beside Siwan on the lounge chair. He placed a steady hand on Siwan's shoulder. "Ah, you're not well. Did you get hurt when you fell?"

 

"I don't think so."

 

Taeheon brought his hand back to his lap. Siwan didn't usually like being touched, but this time he felt grateful for the gesture.

 

He asked, cautiously, "Do you know who I am?"

 

"Oh, what do you mean? Have we met before?"

 

He was used to getting special treatment due to being a celebrity, but this kid didn't even recognise him. Then why did he offer to come up to the room with me?

 

Genuine kindness?

 

Siwan was perplexed.

 

Suddenly feeling a little embarrassed for having asked, he explained, "I'm an actor. I'm in films."

 

"Ah!" Taeheon laughed. "I have heard your name before actually. I don't really have time to watch films these days, so I didn't recognise your face. I hope you're not offended."

 

"Not at all."

 

"We do get quite a few of the celebrity types in here, but I tend to avoid them if I can. They always have bad manners." He looked at Siwan then blushed. "Not you of course, you seem alright."

 

"I'm glad you think so."

 

To Siwan's disappointment, Taeheon stood up from the lounge and dusted his hands on the front on his trousers. "I hope you don't think I'm being rude, but I can't stay for long. I have to be going somewhere after work."

 

"Where's that?"

 

"A fight."

 

"Fight?"

 

Taeheon chuckled. "You know, fight." He held his fists up in front of his face as if shadow boxing.

 

"Oh, you're going to watch a fight."

 

Taeheon chuckled again, but then sighed. "No, I'm the one fighting."

 

"Ah, you're a professional?"

 

"It's not like that. It's an open competition; you just put your name down and if you win the fight you get a prize. I guess you'd say I'm an amateur."

 

Taeheon looked as though he was about to leave, so Siwan quickly asked him, "Where is the fight?"

 

"North of the river." He paused for a second and looked curiously at Siwan. "I don't think it's the sort of place someone like you would like to go to."

 

"How do you know that?"

 

"It's a bit of a dirty place... but of course, you can go there if you want to. I'll tell you the address."

 

He pulled a wallet from his pocket and searched for a business card. He handed it to Siwan with a sheepish smile.

 

"Sorry, I shouldn't have made too many assumptions about you. Maybe you like fighting yourself? Ha, anyway, I have to leave so I can get ready. I have to be there at 10:10."

 

He bowed quickly and left. Siwan looked down at the address.

 

It was a long way. Siwan wondered why he had even asked for it.

 

I asked for it because I want to go there, he thought. It sounds exciting. I never do anything exciting.