012

Temporary Pleasure

Kevin came to Taeheon's house for Christmas, and Kwanghee observed them with approval.

 

"I'm glad you two are back together."

 

Kwanghee and Junyoung were sitting opposite them in the kitchen, wearing their matching sweaters. Kevin had been cooking and he had come back to sit beside Taeheon.

 

"Honestly, it was weird seeing you out with that movie star..."

 

Kevin turned to Taeheon slowly. "Movie... star?"

 

Taeheon instinctively put his hand around Kevin's waist. "Ya, Kwanghee shut up."

 

"No point in being secretive about it. You brought him out to meet us, remember? And," he directed this at Kevin, "he didn't even warn us beforehand."

 

"Hey, I didn't even want to bring him out to meet you. You're such an embarrassment."

 

Kwanghee brandished his chopsticks. "Stop acting like you're better than us. Just because you got to go out with Yim Siwan..."

 

Kevin looked at Taeheon with confusion. "Is this a joke? Are you guys making fun of me again?" He narrowed his eyes at Kwanghee and Junyoung. "You guys were always making up stuff to trick me..."

 

"No, this is true." Taeheon tried to pat Kevin's hand. He hoped Kevin wouldn't become jealous about this, but in a way, that was also what he wanted.

 

Junyoung finally decided to weigh in. "He seemed like a nice guy, but I don't like how he treated you. You were basically just a game to him. I can't believe he broke up with you so suddenly. He probably did think he was too good for us."

 

Taeheon poked at his food, but he did not eat. He was not enjoying this conversation. After a pause, he said, "You are forgetting that he paid for Hyosun's surgery. She would be deaf if it wasn't for him."

 

"Oh, yeah, that's right... but that just means he had money."

 

Taeheon gritted his teeth. Although it was true that Siwan had hurt him, Siwan had also changed his life in ways that couldn't explain. It felt like for the first time in his life he really knew who he was. It was like there had been a bundle of truth deep inside of him that Taeheon had been able to touch.

 

But there was no point in talking like this now, not when Kevin was here, and Kevin was back to being his again.

 

Kevin had become quiet, eating his food sulkily. Taeheon gave his back a small rub.

 

"Wa, Kevin cooks well," Kwanghee said. "Thanks for making dinner for us."

 

Kevin smiled slightly. "That's no problem. Merry Christmas..."

 

###

 

A few months later Heecheol moved out of Taeheon’s apartment and Kevin moved in. Although it was a big move, it happened smoothly, and before long Taeheon was coming home to Kevin every night and waking up beside him as if that had always been the case.

 

Due to his varying shift work, Taeheon often came home late, after Kevin had already gone to bed. He went to bed quietly so not to wake him, but secretly hoped that Kevin might still be awake so that they could kiss and talk before he went to sleep.

 

One night he found a letter on the doorstep and he took it to bed with him. He climbed into the cover and opened the letter by the light of the small bed-side lamp. Kevin stirred beside him.

 

“What is it?” he asked.

 

Taeheon chuckled as he read the letter. “It’s a wedding invitation.”

 

Kevin sat up and took the letter to read it himself. “Wow, they really are going to do it. They’re both so crazy…”

 

“Then I guess Junyoung really meant it when he said I will be best man.”

 

“It’s exciting.” Kevin leaned over to switch off the lamp and Taeheon put the letter away. "But it's kind of weird. Two guys..." He rolled over to go back to sleep.

 

Taeheon stayed watching him for a moment. "Hey, maybe one day we could get married?"

 

Kevin chuckled sleepily and did not reply.