004

Temporary Pleasure

On Tuesday morning Siwan met Ms Choi for his English lesson, and after that he went to the photo shoot Hyemi had arranged. She met him beforehand.

 

"You seem tired today," she said. "Did you sleep badly?"

 

"Yes... I don't like not being able to sleep in my own house."

 

"How long will the building take?"

 

"Only another week, then I'll go home."

 

"Good, I hope the make-up ladies can cover-up your tiredness."

 

Siwan sighed. I'm tired in my soul, he thought. And I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about Kim Taeheon and how I made a fool of myself in front of him. What a strange evening...

 

Siwan managed the shoot well, over time he had learned how to be professional about these things. He was equally professional in the interview, but he was used to that too. They always asked the same questions. Hyemi had checked them off before the interview began in case there were any difficult or controversial questions. He answered everything with grace and dignity.

 

Someone had once told him that a celebrity should always keep a part of themselves private, never give everything away. Siwan gave almost nothing away. He sometimes wondered if that was only because there just wasn't much to his life to begin with.

 

The interviewer asked, "when it comes to women, what is your ideal type?"

 

Siwan laughed softly. He hated this question, although not as much as he hated questions about why he did not have a girlfriend.

 

"I like someone smart, someone kind, and ah, someone not too tall."

 

The interviewer stood up as the interview came to a close and she shook Siwan's hand. "You always have such good manners," she said. "It's been a pleasure to have you."

 

Siwan suddenly remembered how Taeheon had said the same thing about him when they first met. His throat felt dry. Taeheon is my ideal type, he thought.

 

###

 

It was late by the time Siwan returned to his room. He had been invited out to drinks and he was not in a position to refuse, even if he was tired. He came back feeling exhausted and melancholy.

 

To his surprise, he found a small vase of flowers on his table when he opened the door. It must have been put there by the cleaners but it was a little unexpected all the same. On inspecting the flowers he noticed they came with a note.

 

To Mr Yim Siwan (it read, using respectful language), I am sorry about last night, I think I spoke too hastily to you. I was in a strange mood. I'd like to thank you for coming to see me all the same. If you ever need anything here is my number. Yours sincerely, Kim Taeheon.

 

Siwan read the note multiple times. He put the number into his phone and wondered if he should ever call it. He didn't think he would, but he went to bed feeling flushed with happiness all the same.

 

###

 

Siwan saw Taeheon again the following morning at the hotel entrance. As soon as Taeheon saw him, he became shy and bowed awkwardly. Siwan tried his best to hide any sign of excitement on seeing him.

 

"Did you get my note?" Taeheon asked him quietly.

 

"I did..."

 

"I hope it didn't seem too forward. It's just that I was worried I might have offended you the other night."

 

"Not at all. I hope I didn't embarrass you. I was just curious about the fight, that's all."

 

Taeheon did not reply and so Siwan began to leave, since he was almost late for a schedule. Taeheon called him back after he had taken only a few steps.

 

"You can come again, if you want."

 

Siwan turned to face him, and he saw that Taeheon was blushing.

 

"When is the next one?"

 

"This Friday."

 

Siwan raked his memory to check if he had any schedules on Friday night. If he did he'd cancel them.

 

"Okay then. You might see me there."

 

As he turned to leave again, Taeheon called out: "I'll win for you this time!" He smiled and waved Siwan off.