010

Temporary Pleasure

Siwan and Hyemi were seated together in the airport lounge. It was late and the place was almost empty.

 

"You seem different lately," Hyemi said, causing Siwan to look up suddenly from his phone. He felt a bit guilty for having neglected her, he'd almost forgotten she was even there.

 

"How so?"

 

She rolled her eyes at him. "I think you know what I'm talking about."

 

"You think I'm dating someone, is that it?"

 

"Are you going to tell me?"

 

Siwan contemplated it. He hadn't wanted to burden her, so he hadn't told her anything yet. But he realised that he should tell her... Perhaps he owed it to her. She was his manager, but she was also his friend.

 

"Yes, Hyemi I'm dating someone. It's a male hotel employee"

 

Hyemi looked around quickly then slapped Siwan on the top of the head with her notebook. "Ya, don't ever say that out loud."

 

"I thought it was right to tell you. Are you shocked?"

 

"I had my suspicions." She smiled, a little. "But just don't talk about it in the open. When you talk about it, it makes it a burden for me." She took out her tablet and showed it to him. "See, I don't suppose they are talking about you?"

 

Siwan peered at the article that was up on the screen. It was blind item posted on a gossip website. He was gripped by a sudden horror at the thought that someone may have reported his relationship with Taeheon. But the rumour was vague - it was about two actors dating. He handed back the tablet.

 

"I doubt it has anything to do with me."

 

"People were suggesting that it was you."

 

"And they're wrong, I'm dating an ordinary citizen, not an actor."

 

"Maybe it should be about you. You'd be safer if you had a celebrity girlfriend..." She sighed. "You know people are on the lookout for you too. If they don't know already, they'll find out soon."

 

"I don't know... I'm getting sick of hiding."

 

"You say that, but I know you don't mean it. You care too much about your career, and you're not romantic, remember?" She smiled. She was trying to reach out to him.

 

"Are you suggesting that I should get someone to pretend to be my girlfriend to throw them off the trail? Because that sounds like a lot of pain and effort."

 

Hyemi frowned again. "No, I'm suggesting that you should stop seeing this person that you're seeing. It sounds like a mean thing to say, but please know that I'm not just saying it as your manager, but also as your friend. I know you, and I know you wouldn't throw away a lifetime of work for some temporary pleasure."

 

"Temporary pleasure?"

 

"Well... you know it won't last forever. Think practicably about it. You know you have a new project coming up... what's more important to you?"

 

Siwan rubbed his forehead. He was tired, and he wasn't in the mood to face reality. Of course he had known all along that it wasn't a matter of whether or not he separated from Taeheon, but when. Taeheon always sent him into bouts of euphoria, but an intense feeling could be dangerous too. He took photos of them together and sometimes played with the idea of posting them online, simply because all the feeling in his heart were too much for him to bear on his own.

 

"Let's not talk anymore, I can tell you're tired." Hyemi put her head down on her chest. She was tired too.

 

Siwan moved in closer to her and put her scarf behind her head. After a moment of hesitation he rested his head on her shoulder. He wanted her to know that he was on her side. Who knew, maybe they would have a scandal after all.

 

###

 

A week later Siwan went to visit Taeheon, and he accidentally bumped into someone on the doorstep. He mumbled a nervous apology, but he was relieved to see that it was only Junyoung.

 

Junyoung bowed cordially to him. "Oh, Siwan. Since you're here, I wanted to have a word with you."

 

They stepped outside together. Junyoung pulled a cigarette out of his pocket and fumbled with it, but he did not light it. He seemed to be struggling to find what to say.

 

"Is this about Taeheon?" Siwan asked him.

 

"Yes. I just thought you should know... I mean, I thought I should tell you that Taeheon is the sort of person who loves very deeply. He's selfless, you know. I mean, he would get himself into danger just to raise money for his sister and niece. He always puts himself before others. If Taeheon loves you, he wouldn't say no to anything you wanted. I know we might seem like little people to you, but I thought I should let you know that Taeheon has people who love him too, and don't want to see him get hurt, or pushed around." He paused, and looked at Siwan thoughtfully for a moment. "If you love him, don't play with him."

 

Siwan was embarrassed, so he just bowed and said, "I understand. Thank you." He went back upstairs.

 

Taeheon smiled kindly when he opened the door. A horrible wave of guilt washed over Siwan. He passed Taeheon the envelope he had been holding without saying anything.

 

Taeheon looked at it curiously, then opened it. "What's this?" he asked.

 

Siwan kept his head lowered. "It's for your niece."