001

Temporary Pleasure

Siwan held Hyemi's hand as they walked into the restaurant. She looked down at their hands then back up at Siwan with narrowed eyes.

 

"What are you doing?" she asked him. "Do you want a scandal?"

 

Siwan laughed. "Why not? It's been a while since my last one."

 

Hyemi smiled with her lips closed tight. She knew it was meant to be a joke.

 

They sat a small table by the window, with a view of the city skyline and mountains. Siwan gazed at it with an uncomfortable pensiveness, while Hyemi took out her notebook.

 

"I've organised for your interview with the magazine next Tuesday. There's a photoshoot involved and they said it would only take the afternoon. You can still meet with Ms Choi in the morning."

 

Siwan remained staring at the city lights. Hyemi put the notebook down.

 

"Am I boring you?"

 

He snapped back suddenly. "Not at all. The photoshoot, the interview, Ms Choi, I understand."

 

"Good." Hyemi made a mark in her book, and then paused with the pen in mid air. "What's the matter?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"You look melancholy. Are you sad about something?"

 

Siwan shook his head ruefully. "No, not really. Well, maybe a little bit. I read a comment on a blog yesterday. Someone said they thought I was the most boring young actor. I thought about it a bit. I think they may be right."

 

Hyemi pursed her lips. "I don't think that matters." After a pause she smiled and asked, "is that why you wanted a scandal?"

 

Siwan shrugged. "Another fake rumour. What difference would it make?"

 

Hyemi looked down. "Well, it doesn't have to be fake... why don't you get a real girlfriend?"

 

Siwan waited for the waiter to serve them and leave, then they resumed their conversation in hushed voices.

 

"You know me. Have you ever known me to have a girlfriend? I just don't have that in me."

 

"You're so un-romantic."

 

"Exactly."

 

Hyemi shook her head and then changed the subject. They spent the rest of the evening with polite conversation and Siwan privately wondering if he had accidentally hurt Hyemi's feelings in some way.

 

After their meal Hyemi returned to the conversation to console him. "It doesn't really matter if you're boring or not. You're an actor, not a reality star."

 

"Yes, you are right."

 

Siwan didn't add that he felt it was more a matter of his personal pride.

 

"Do you have any plans for tonight?"

 

"Not really. My apartment is getting renovated this week so I am staying at a hotel. I haven't checked in yet... so I will do that and then... nothing. I'm tired."

 

He started laughing because Hyemi smiled. "It sounds boring doesn't it? Maybe I am a boring person."