Who are we

Teach Me: What is Karma

“No. I think my parents just wants to wash me with constructed memories.”

* * *

 

“Damn it.” The foundation bottle spills on the floor. Soeun bend over in attempt to pick up the bottle. Her legs are unable to support her, and every move would send her signals of pain. What have she done wrong to deserve these type of beating from those bullies.

 

She can feel the tear running down her numb face. She bares her head in her arm as her cries echoes in the empty bathroom. There is no way she can go home today. Her parents will not let this go. She is strong enough anyways.

 

Right?

 

Without anyone...

 

The bathroom door suddenly swings open. Soeun froze and her eyes met with Jieun. She didn’t greet Soeun with the usual smile. Jieun lowered her head and walked towards the sink next to Soeun.

 

“You didn’t leave yet?” Jieun asked with her head still down. She took a glance on the light foundation spilled on the floor.

 

“No.” Soeun tighten her grip on the bottle.

 

The sound of the water flosser drowned the silence between them. Jieun shuts the water and finally looked up. She took a peek at Soeun’s face. Nothing. She didn’t say anything. Soeun felt her heart being drained away with the water.

 

The girl walked out the bathroom without exchanging another word with Soeun. Two face another one like her aunt.

 

 

 

 

Soeun covered her red marks with foundation and headed out the bathroom. She brought herself up to the top of the building. Every steps, she takes she whispers to herself.

 

“You are strong.”

 

“You are strong.”

 

“You are ...” The tears blurred her next step. She stares on the dark gray cement in front of her. How can she live in emptiness? She remembers nothing, but she is receiving the punishment.

 

“What am I!” She shouted and run up the stairs. Her voice echoed in the stairway. As she reach the rooftop, a breath of wind blow away the little flame inside of her.

 

Soeun.” His voice lingers against her ears. His voice cleans her thoughts every time. She has this undefinable attraction towards him. “What are you doing here?”

 

The boy walks towards her, then his expression changed into shock as soon as he saw the wound on her face. He places his hands on her shoulder and pulled her closer.

 

“They did it again right?” Jaerim questioned softly. “What did they do to you? Do you want to tell someone?”

 

 

 

 

Soeun looped her arms around Jaerim and laid her head on his chest. She listen to the sound of his heartbeat. It is soft, calming. She felt alive again. “She is strong. Jaerim has taught her to live for the happiness.”

 

The boy didn’t say another thing. He simply gently patted his hand against her back.


 

They are sitting on the rooftop watching the sun on its way down to the other side of the world. The orange sky had a tint pink and purple painted on the cloud. The wind softly brushed against her face. She curled her legs up and wrapped her arms around them. He sat with his legs cross and had his head lean against the railing behind them.

 

“Better now?” The boy asked.

 

 

 

 

“Yes.” Soeun smiled. The sound of the wind interrupted them. “Aren’t you going home?”

 

“No one is home today.” The boy looked into the distance. “I want to breath for once.”

 

“Breath?”

 

“Yea” Jaerim laughted. “I am on medicine everyday and all types of therapy.”

 

“Trying to remember what you have forgotten?”

 

“No. I think my parents just wants to wash me with constructed memories.”

 

“You are so sure.” Soeun chucked.

 

“No. I just sure that I know you before.” They locked their eyes together. “I knew it. It is a six sense.” He said again. She quickly looked away from the growing sound her heartbeat.

 

“I think we knew each other before I have met you in the hospital.” Soeun explained.

 

“So we have met before.”

 

“I was struggling deciding if I should tell you.” Soeun took in a deep breath.

 

“Tell me.” The boy said with confident.

 

“We met in a hospital when I first woke up. Both of us had no memories, but we became friends. Really good friends. Then you went in for another surgery.” Soeun started to tear up. “I don’t think our parents like the idea.”

 

“I don’t see why they would ...” Jaerim

 

“I think I cause your accident.” Soeun wipes her tears with the back of her hand. “We might had some kind connection before you lost your memories.”She took a pause.

 

“We might have been friends.”Soeun continues. “Or enemies.”

 

“Or lovers.” Jaerim interrupts her. “I am pretty sure. We are.”

 

 

 

 

Soeun stared at him with her eyes wide. She can feel the blood rushed to her face. Her heart is about to jump out.


Jaerim smiled shyly and looked away again. “I kind of hope we are.”