The School Legend

Teach Me: What is Karma

“I might not been here for a long time, but I know this for sure.” Jaerim clenched his hand into a fist. “You would get killed."

* * *

 

“Go in. I will wait until you close the door.” The boy flashed a bright smile. Soeun couldn’t look at his face for too long. She might end up crying or even blurt out about his past.  “Oh, I will give this back to you tomorrow. Thanks. Good night.

 

“Good night.” She looked at him for the last time before turning around.

 

As she closed the door behind her, she heard herself sighed. There is something weird going on inside of her heart. The house must be humid because of the rain. She can feel her own face burning up.

 

She slided her book back off and walked to the window. Jaerim’s shadow is in the rain. She watched him cross the street and waited until he disappear in the rain. If only he remembered her, she would be even happier.


 

“Soeun!” The familiar voice called for her as soon as the class ended. “Let’s go get lunch.” Jaerim leaned against her desk.

 

“Jaerim you are quite attached to Soeun lately.” Jieun the girl I met the other day walked up to us.

 

“Because I am nice!” Jaerim respond with a sarcastic eyeroll. Jieun disregarded his defense.

 

“You are Soeun right?” She turned her attention to Soeun.

 

“You are Jieun.”The girl replied.

 

“Let’s go get lunch.” She pulled Soeun up from her seat and walks out the classroom. Jaerim gasped at her offered. “I asked her first!” Before Jaerim can chase after them, they blended in with the crowd.

 

“I know that Jaerim show to around the school, but he probably haven’t showed you the real school.” Jieun crossed her arms in front as they commute down the hallway.

 

“Real school?” Soeun raised her eyebrows. “What do you mean by that?”
 

She waved her forefingers from side to side. “Let me tell you this. There are social groups and levels in this ground. If you want to a nice and quiet life here, you can’t just stay quiet.”

 

“This is my fourth day. I am doing pretty ok.” Soeun informs.

 

“That because they haven’t hear about your transfer yet.”

 

“They?”

 

“The gossips.” Jieun pulled her face closer to Soeun as if she is telling a secret. “The gossips, the hunters, and the enforcers are the big three in this high school. They are the groups that maintain the school’s social orders.” She extended her finger and wave around in the middle air. “Don’t mess with any of them.”

 

“I have nothing to hide.” Soeun replied.

 

“That’s good.” Jieun nodded. “Just be careful. They will hear about you soon and come find you. You can turn out to have a lot friends or no one at all.”

 

“A test?”

 

Jieun pondered for a second, “I guess you can call it like that.”

 

“I don’t have time to deal with childish things like that.” Soeun said casually, “I am getting out in a year, so I can move on with my life.”

 

Jieun looked at her with a shocking expression, but she didn’t said anything and continue their walk towards the lunchroom.

 

“The enforcers and the hunters are easy to figure it out.” Jieun keep up with her explanation. “The hunters are always in a big group. They are usually involved with gangs, or other sort of illegal activity.”

 

She pointed towards the big table at the corner of the lunchroom. “See we found a group.” The group of students are all wearing black. They are mixed genders, but all of them looks vicious. The females are all wearing heavy makeups and the males are all muscular. As if it is a type of uniform they wear to brand themselves as the hunter of the school.

 

“The enforcers are easy to recognize too. They are all the student committees. Most of them came from a wealthy family so no one want to mess with them.” Jieun picks up a plate and soon got distracted by the foods around her.

 

Soeun got a cup of water and a plate of fruit. Before she realize, Jaerim and JIeun already claimed a seat for her, by the window. She traveled towards them with handful of things. Someone suddenly cut into her path.

 

She lifted her eyes and found herself looking at a mesmerizing face. His nose is tall, eyes are bright, and  skin is clear. His lips curved up into a smirk. “Hey.” The boy greeted.

 

“I heard you are the transfer, right?” The boy smiled. Soeun peek through the tall figure and matched her eyes with Jaerim, who showed concern look on his face.

 

“I am Kibum.” The man pulled her attention back.

 

“Nice to meet you.” Soeun said quietly. “I need to go to my friends.”

 

“Opps. Sorry for blocking your path.” The boy smiled again. His facial structure seems so familiar to her, but it might just be her. She don’t even know anyone here, but Jaerim.

 

“You know him?” Jaerim questioned as soon as Soeun sat down. “I don’t think I do.”

 

“Maybe he knows you.” Jieun said while stuffing food into like a squirrel.

 

“I doubted.” Soeun mumble under her breath. She played with the slice of melon on her plate. Kibum. Such a familiar name.


 

“Let’s go” Jaerim popped in front of Soeun’s desk again. “Let’s go home.” Jaerim offered to go home with her everyday, ever since that rainy day. Soeun couldn’t find a reason to reject. It might be better this way. He doesn’t remember anything about the past and neither does she. They can refresh again and become friends again.

 

She lost him, but she can take him back.

 

As they walked out the school area, there were a lot people gathered around a spot. All they can hear is screaming and shouting. There seems to be some type of cheers running around the crowded group of people.

 

“What are they doing?” Soeun asked.

 

“They are executing.” She watched the young boy’s facial expression turned dark and as if some kind of anger is battling inside of him. He hissed and looked away, “this is no different than bullying.”

 

Soeun took a few step forward and paused. She turned to Jaerim again.

 

“No.” Jaerim reply know what she wants to do.

 

“We can’t at least not right now.” He explained. “You and I and including whoever we helped will all be...”

 

“Be what?” Soeun shouted holding back her anger. “At least, I can do something about it. I don’t mind getting expelled or even getting beat up.”

 

“I might not been here for a long time, but I know this for sure.” Jaerim clenched his hand into a fist. “You would get killed.”

 

“What do you mean? Simply watching it is no different than those who started it.” Soeun sent him a glare.

 

“You don’t understand. It’s not that easy.” For some reason watching Jaerim’s solemn expression had brought out the sadness in her as well. “We will help the student after.” She couldn’t lifted her eyes away from him. He seems to be fighting some kind of demon with in himself. The unexplainable anger in her cause a hint of fear and uneasiness.

 

It’s the familiarity of the event that struck the both of them back into their place.

 

After standing there for about 10 minutes, people began to scatter away and reveal the group of people in black. The group that Soeun saw today during lunch. One of the girl who had a big tattoo on her hip made eye contact with Soeun and she kept staring at her as if she was attempting to solve some kind of puzzle.

 

“We will take you down next time.” One of the guys raised his fist at the poor boy on the ground. The group of hunters spared their prey and left the hunting ground. The boy’s bruised eyes met with Jaerim and Soeun, and he quickly stood up from the ground. With in second, he gather all his stuff and ran towards the other direction.

 

The Hunters are walking out the school ground freely. Soeun watch the girl with the tattoo said something to the guy with the cigarette. He took a look at Soeun and shrugged his shoulder and walked away.

 

“Do you know them?” Jaerim said in a shaken voice.

 

“No.” Soeun said surely. To be correct, she is not sure, but she hope she don’t know them.

 

“Let’s go, before any of them start to mess with us.” Jaerim grabbed Soeun’s hand and paced away from the group of monsters. Her hand fits so well with his and she can feel the anxiousness from his grip. The sense of comfort she had always felt from him makes her heart flutters.

 

“Hey!” A loud voice echo from behind.

 

“Don’t turn around.” She heard Jaerim said nervously.

 

“KIM SOEUN!” The girl with tattoo stopped time. Every member in the Hunter turned around as if they heard the fire alarm. Jaerim and Soeun stopped moving from the shock. She can feel Jaerim shaking. However, for some strange reason, she feels no fear at the momment.


“Turn yourself around girl.” The voice demanded. “You couldn’t possibly forget about your best friend, right? You little .”

 


I am back! Hope you enjoyed.