The Reality Check

Teach Me: What is Karma

As if someone had untied the rope around her neck, she can finally relax. That’s the reason why she was so angry. She thought the world hated her.

* * *


“Friend!” The voice loudly projected down the hall. The boy pushed open the door, and it slammed violently against the wall. Soeun was sitting on her wheelchair by the window with a comic book closed in her hand. She looked up and only saw Jaerim’s bright smile pasted on his face. His happiness radiated from his soul.

 

“Quiet down.” Soeun made eye contact with him, but his was too excited to read her emotions.

 

He ran towards her and sat beside her wheelchair, then he fished out a yo-yo from his pocket. The yo-yo was a red on the inside and clear on the outer edge. “Present.” He said and shoved the yo-yo towards her.

 

“Why do you want to give me this?” She picks up the yo-yo from his big hand.

 

“Jaerim can’t yo-yo. So you can teach me.”

 

“But I can’t either.” Soeun shoved it back to him.

 

“But you are a genius.” Jaerim blinked innocently.

 

She couldn’t believe it that he can be so deceive, but she kind of like her pride. She twisted her lips and raised her eyebrow to contain her smile.

 

“Are you?” He asked again with a hint of doubt.

 

“I am.” She raised her head. “I will think about it.” She set the yo-yo aside and opened her comic book again. The truth is she had read this comic book for the 10th times, but she just wants to seem like she is busy. The boy sat by her wheelchair quietly and waited for her to chirp another sound. She flipped the page gently and eyed the boy from the edge of the page.

 

“Do you have siblings?” She cleared after.

 

“Taeyeon big sister said Jaerim has a little brother.” The boy played with his hospital clothes.

 

“Have you met him?”

 

“Yea...” Jaerim’s smile disappeared from his face, and he started to wrap his forefinger with his clothes.

 

“Was he mean?” She lay the book on her lap. The boy nodded and his coal black ponytail bounced.

 

“I don’t think he likes Jaerim.” He said.

 

“Do you have parents?”

 

“Yea...” He replied in the same tone again. “They only come once a year.”

 

“What kind of parents leave their kids alone like that!” Soeun criticized boldly.

 

“No. They are good parents.” Jaerim looked up at her.

 

“Good parents my . They are all like that. They force you to do everything for them. All selfish cowards that hides everything from you.” Soeun closed her book with a slam. “My parents didn’t even swing by for the past three days.”

 

She was surprised when Jaerim raised up from the ground. His eyes teared up and eyebrow furrowed at rage. “Don’t talk about papa and mama like that!” He screamed at her. With his fist clenched into a rock, he stormed out the room.

 

Soeun’s heart had stopped from the shock, and face fired with anger. Her round eye watched the door shutted in front of her. Once again she is all alone.


 

“Leave!” She shouted in the empty room. “Leave! You are all the same. Only knows how to leave.” Her voice slowly turned into a mutter. She stared at the window that reflected her pale facial features. Her angry expression slowly faded away.

 

“Why?” She asked herself. “What have I done wrong?” She wipes the tears with both of her hand, but the tears wouldn’t stop.



 

She sat on her bed staring at the empty window across. A bird landed on the tree outside, and soon another bird joined it. The two love birds cuddled and flew away one after another. Her focus was broken when Taeyeon knocked on the door that she already open.

 

“Can I talk to you for a second?” She stand by the door.

 

Soeun hesitated for a second, but Taeyeon is a little different from the other nurses. She nodded allow her to enter.

 

The woman pulled the wheelchair next to Soeun bed and sat on it. She lean forward and supported her elbows with her leg. One word to describe this nurse: Charismatic.

 

Her eyeliner framed her glowing brown eyes. Her bright red lips moved as the words formed a question. “Did you made Jaerim upset?” She sounded a bit disappointed instead of angry.

 

“I did.” Soeun answered and held her head high. “I was just speaking the truth.”

 

“You know,” Taeyeon lean back and crossed her arms, “I don’t really care what you had said to him, but you should apologize.”

 

“Why should I?” Soeun’s voice grew louder. “I just told him the truth.”

 

“It doesn’t matter.” Taeyeon’s eyes were sharper than anyone who had looked at her. There were no sympathy or pity. “Sometimes the truth is too harsh to be told.”

 

Soeun pinned her eyes on her thumbs as she held her hands together. Was it too harsh? What have I done wrong then?

 

“Soeun.” Taeyeon stood up from the wheelchair. She slipped her hands into her white coat. “You have too much pride.”

 

“That’s why you are alone.” Taeyeon touched her shoulder. “The world doesn’t hate you. You are blessed with great parents and a great friend like Jaerim.”  Soeun finally looked up to her, then she saw the warm smile on her face. It’s a truly honest smile. Taeyeon left the room without another word, but those words are enough.

 

As if someone had untied the rope around her neck, she can finally relax. That’s the reason why she was so angry.

 

She thought the world hated her.

* * *
 

After Soeun finished her meal, her mother walked into the room with bags of fruit. Her mother and her exchanged a look, but didn’t spit another word after that. The woman placed the fruit in the headstand and cleaned up the rest of the stuff.

 

This is her chance to take a small step. Soeun took a deep breath in and closed her eyes.

 

“I am sorry.” The words were light and voiceless, but her mother heard it. She heard the rumbling sounds stop.

 

When she opened her eyes, she saw her mother standing next to her. The woman pulled her into an embrace. Soeun squeezed her eyes shut to stop the tears from rushing out of her eyes. It feels good to be forgiven. She felt her mother’s thin hands running gently on top of her hair.  Her mother sniffed and hugged her closer.

 

“Mom. Why is Dad always gets angry when I ask about the past.” Soeun questioned boldly.

 

“It’s not something good. It’s better that you forget about it.” Her mother pulled away and wiped the tears away from her eyes. “I will cut you some fruit and don’t worry about your father. He is not angry anymore.”

 

Soeun nodded. It was still awkward for her to be comfortable with her mother, but she took a small step. After the day she slapped her, Soeun realize she had a strong mother who is willing to put anything behind for her daughter.

 

“Do you want apple or orange?” She fished the two fruits out from the bag.

 

“Mom,” Soeun requested, “Can I see a friend around 7pm today?”

 

“Here?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are they a patient here?” Her mother seems shocked that she didn’t even know about Soeun’s friend. As if she had her detective cap on, her mother observed her.

 

“Yes. It will just take me a few second.” Soeun replied and quickly changed the topic. “I want some apple.”

 

Her mother’s smile tiredly and nodded. “I will go wash it.”

 

Soeun let out a heavy breath. Her father already made a big deal about Jaerim.  It would be worst if her mother found out about Jaerim’s existence.


* * *

It was around 7pm Soeun wheeled herself in front the patient 10101’s door. She tapped the shoe box sitting on her lap. With a deep breath, she pulled her confidence back together. She knocked on the door twice, loudy.

 

“Who is it?” A bright voice greeted her. As soon as the door side open, Jaerim turned around and crossed his arm and jumped on to his bed. With his back facing Soeun to express his resentment, he pouted and held his chin high.

 

Soeun rolled her wheelchair in the room. She lowered her head and said in a very soft voice. “I am sorry Jaerim. I didn’t mean what I say.” There was silence followed after she apologized. When she lifted her head up again, Jaerim was standing in front of her with a happy and curious face.

 

“What do you have in that box?” His bright smile radian eternal happiness.

 

“Am I forgiven then?” Soeun smiled unwillingly.

 

“Yes. Yes.” He squat down to her level again and supported his chin with both of his hand. “Is that for Jaerim?”

 

Soeun opened the shoebox and captured Jaerim’s eye glow in delight.

 

“Woah. Airplane!” He picked up his reunited friend and ran around the room making airplane sounds. Soeun couldn’t help to laughed at his over exaggerated excitement.

 

“Jaerim. Sit.” Soeun commanded. Jaerim blinked a few times and sat down in front of Soeun. “Now tell me, what are your wishes?”

 

“Jaerim wants to go to the amusement park, wants to learn how to play yo-yo, wants to make more friends, wants to go back to school and wants to...”

 

“Ok stop.” Soeun shook her hands. “Don’t be so greedy. Plus I am not your genie. I will go now. “

 

Jaerim nodded quietly and watched her as she wheeled out his room.


 

Soeun sat on her bed searched a couple videos on how to play yo-yo. After a few research, she realize there is a problem for her. All the demonstrators were standing. She looked around her bed and swing the yo-yo outward. It motioned backward and hit the side metal of the bed. She sighed and stared at the spinning yo-yo.

 

This thing will take her a while to learn.



* * *
 

“Soeun is time you take a break from that yo-yo.” Her mother handed her a fork with a piece of apple on top of it. “Your finger is swollen.”

 

“I need to learn it fast.”

 

“It’s difficult if you are sitting.” Her mother discouraged.

 

“I got it a few times. I can do it again if I keep trying.”

 

She heard her mother sighed on her stubbornness, but continue to swing the yo-yo with her other hand. It was difficult but it only took her two days of non-stop swinging. Now, as if the yo-yo is one of her body part, she can control it easily.

 

Soeun was so excited that day. Right after her mother left at 7pm, she quickly wheeled to Jaerim’s room. When she pushed open the door, he was flying the fixed plane model around the high ceiling.

 

“Hey! Captin!” Soeun joked. “Mind to come down for a small lesson.”

 

Jaerim jumped down from the bed and catched the airplane on his way. Just like a puppy who saw his owner came home, he pulled Soeun’s chair into the room.

 

“What do you have for me?”

 

Soeun smiled delightfully and she waved the yo-yo in her hand. She swing the yo-yo out from her hand and the circle flew out in a spin. With a quick pull the yo-yo wrapped back into her hand. As if his eyes glow with diamond light, he asked for her to teach him.

 

“That’s cool, but I want a favor in return.” Soeun raised her head.

 

“Okay.” Jaerim laughed.

 

“I will teach you right now, but tomorrow morning you have to wake up early. Around 5am” She ordered.

 

“Where are we going?”

 

She smiled slyly, “We are sneaking out.”


* * *
 

“Soeun.” A whisper passed through the doorway. She quickly lifted herself up from the bed and fixed her hair. She woke up a long time ago. This is one of the most exciting day ever since she woke up from her coma.

 

“Jaerim?” She whispered back. “Come here.”

 

The door slide open quietly Jaerim slipped into the room with a childish smile on his face. “So where are we going”, he asked with a low volume.

 

“The amusement park!” She exclaimed. The boy danced with delight until Soeun warned him about the noise.

 

After a few minute, they changed out their hospital clothes and with Soeun on Jaerim’s back, they planned to snug out the hospital. Soeun directed him to get out from the emergency door when there was a ambulance arrive.

 

When Jaerim walked down the hall, Soeun can heard her own heartbeats against her chest. It was drumming against her ribs. It was a different kind of feeling. She had never feel this type of happiness and freedom sitting by her window. Jaerim had been seeking this type of hide and seek for a long time now. This is the adventure he longed to have with his friend.

 

“Jaerim. Go!” She extended her arm into the sky. Jaerim obeyed and ran out with full speed. He can heard her laughter by his ears. Without realizing, he started to join her with joy.

 

After the map’s help, Soeun and Jaerim finally arrived at the closest amusement park. He became her wheelchair and she became his guide. As she found herself a bench to sit, Jaerim was running in full circle.

 

“Friend. This is awesome!” Jaerim laughed and bounced. His eyes wandered on every new objects.

 

Soeun smirked and continued to examine the map of the amusement park. “We can only go on rides. Jaerim. You know I can’t do any walking.”

 

“That’s ok. Jaerim will be your helper for today.” He stood tall and raised his head.

 

“And what else?” She reminded him.

 

“Listen to all your instructions.” He repeated like a machine.

 

“Okay!” She looped on to Jaerim’s back and point towards the rollercoster. “Let’s GO!”



* * *
 

“Jaerim?” Taeyeon knocked on the door a few time, but there was no reply. “Are you sleeping?” She slide open the door and only saw the empty bed.

 

“Jaerim!” This is not the first time he went out the room with her permission, but she knew Jaerim sleeps till noon. Plus, he left his toy model in the room. She rushed out the room and head straight towards Soeun’s room. After confirming that she was no where to be found too, Taeyeon contracted for the security room.

 

“What happen here?” The head nurse entered the security room.

 

“The two patient sneaked out this morning.” Taeyeon answered with her head bowed low.

 

“Which two?” The head nurse eyed her.

 

“Jaerim and Soeun.”

 

“Jaerim? He is under observation right now.” The head nurse shouted, “You were suppose to watch him. He can have a concussion any minute. Don’t you understand? Dear lord.”

 

“I already contacted the police and their guardians.” Taeyeon replied.

 

“Contact the doctors too. If he had a concussion, we will be in big trouble.” The nurse sighed.

* * *

 

The crowd in the park is slowly dying down. It’s around 8pm now. The hospital must have realized that they are missing now. Soeun sat on the bench and waited for Jaerim to bring back the ice cream that they just brought.

 

“We will go after we finish this.” Soeun received her favorite mango ice cream from his hand.

 

“But Jaerim wants to go on other rides.” He pouted.

 

“We can’t they close at 9.” Soeun explained. “Sit down.” She instructed him. He sat obediently.

 

“Are you happy now?” Soeun asked. “I fulfilled all your wishes.”

 

“Jaerim is always happy.”

 

Soeun rolled her eyes and laughed, “Of course. You have the mind of a 8 year old.”

 

“It’s a good thing.” Jaerim replied. “Jaerim is happy to have a bestfriend.” He the ice cream from his hand.

 

“I guess you are right.” Soeun smiled and looked towards the orange sky. The sun making its way home and brought its brightness with it. On the other hand, the moon shining bright peaking into the new stage.

 

“The sun looks like the egg we ate for breakfast.” Jaerim wowed.

 

“We didn’t have breakfast today.” Soeun pushed him, but his eyes were still glowing with the sun.

 

“Right. Right.” He nodded childishly.

 

“Let’s make a promise.” Soeun suggested.

 

“What promise?”

 

“We will both get better and come back here.” She extended her pinky towards him. He nodded with a wide smile and cross his pinky with hers.

 

“Come back here.” He repeats.

 

She smiled and stretched her arms. “Let’s go!” She watch Jaerim stood up and dropped his ice cream. The cone was crushed under his unstable feet. He grabbed his head and his body took a few spin.

 

“Jaerim. What’s wrong!” She wanted to stood up, but her body won’t let her. He fell towards the ground and pulled on his hair. The terror on her face creeped in as she watched her bestfriend’s expression went from pain to silence. She heard herself shouting and screaming for help. Only remember that her hand hit the ground first.

 

It was at that moment she really thought the world hated her.


She really wished this wasn’t the reality she lived in.