Deja vu

Teach Me: What is Karma

“Aren’t you afraid that you forgot about some of you happiest moment?” Soeun quickly questioned.

* * *

The way he walks, talks, smiles are all different from the Jaerim she use to know. She trailed behind him. His same wide shoulders, tall shadow, dependable back reminds her again and again that he is a man, a grown-up child.

 

He slowed his walking speed and waited for her to catch up with him. As they walked side by side, she broke the silence.

 

“Do you know this place well?” She thought out her question.

 

The boy laughed nervously and scratched his head with his right hand, even their movement is different. “I transferred here too, so not really.”

 

“Oh.” Soeun nodded.

 

“Why did you transfer?” She was not looking for an answer, but a reaction. It would be nice if he can remember her, after all he saved her from the edge of death.

 

“I was told that I have an accident a year ago,” He shrugged his shoulder. “but I live the moment.”

 

“You don’t remember?” Soeun stopped in the middle of the hall.

 

“Remember?” The boy walked a little further and turned his back.

 

“You don’t want to remember the people who had called you friend?”

 

The glass door ahead of us grew lighter from the sunlight. The beams of sunlight penetrated through the transparent glass and shined against the boy’s face. He lifted his eyes to the sunlight and pondered a far, then he finally answered. “I think is best if I don’t.”  

 

He observed Soeun’s expression changed from hopeful to disappointment. He then added another, “I just wish they live happy.”

 

“I think you would hurt them even more.” Soeun stared at him.

 

“Sometime, the past holds you back.” Jaerim turned back to the light. “To move forward, it’s the best way to heal yourself.” As he continue his introduction to her new school, she followed him into the light.

 

Out of the the darkness.

 

He was right. She can restart her life now and move on, even when he was here.


* * *
 

“Jaerim!” A girl was running towards Jaerim, she waved her hands to greet him. Jaerim answered with a bright smile, the same smile the 8 year-old Jaerim would give her.

 

“Jieun. What are you doing here?” The boy asked.

 

“I was getting buckets of water for the volunteering cleaning, but I forgot the mop in the storage.” The girl name Jieun requested. “Could you please help me to move those buckets to the classroom?”

 

“But I am introducing the school to the transferee.”

 

“You can do it after this. They are all waiting for these water.” Jieun looked at Soeun and smiled to greet her. She nodded and waved awkwardly. “I will be right back.” She turned her back to Jaerim and ran towards another direction.

 

“I will help you.” Soeun offered.

 

“No. You don’t have to.” Jaerim picked up a bucket of water with both of his hand on the handle.  

 

“I take one side.” Before Jaerim can reject, the girl already had her hand next to the handle. They walked slowly back towards the classroom. The water in the bucket swing from side to side, and at times, it is spills out a few drop on her shoe. As they continue down the empty hall, Soeun can heard the laughters coming out of classrooms, and joyful cheerings radiated from every corner. Her facial expression must be easy to read.

 

“Don’t you just want to join them?” Jaerim questioned.

 

Soeun redirected her attention back to him, but didn’t add another word. Every time she looks at him, the boy seems to be brighter than before. He is still that painting in the hospital, near perfection. His hair is no longer long and silky, but the new hair cut lines out his jawline.  She has been mesmerized by him more than one time.

 

“It’s ok. I know how you feel.” Jaerim continued, “I was like than when I first transfer in too, but since I don’t have any memories, it is easier for me to create new ones.”

 

“Aren’t you afraid that you forgot about some of you happiest moment?” Soeun quickly questioned.

 

The boy thinked for a little more again. He then looked her right in the eyes with a wide smile, the same old smile. “I am sure the happier will come.”

 

Soeun suddenly dropped the handle. She can't do this. It feels like she is losing her good friend. The heavy bucket hit the ground, and water swing violently from side to side. Some escaped the edge of the bucket. Jaerim jumped back from the splash. Her shoe is soaked wet.

 

He lifted his eyebrows shocked by her action.

 

“Are you ok?”

 

“You don’t understand!” She shouted. “It’s just too painful to be devalued by someone who doesn’t even know you.”

 

“I...” Jaerim panicked. It was a shock to him. Maybe he said something wrong, but Soeun didn’t seem like the over reacted girl. He attempted to help her, but only pulled herself away from him.

 

Soeun kept quiet for a long time as their introduction continued, and at the end of the day, she only mumbled I am sorry. That was her last word with him.



 

The days after his introduction with her, Soeun had been come distant from the rest of the class. He would peek over at her once a while, pretending that he was stretching. She always seem to lost her spirit. Each time they made eye contact, he would quickly looked away. It must be the strangest deja vu. He seems to be able to predict when she is looking his way. She eventually became an invisible being in the classroom.


* * *
 

“Jaerim!” His friends called as he reached the soccer field. “Can you help us to get the scored broad from the classroom.”

 

Jaerim growled, “why didn’t you tell me when I walk down!”

 

“Sorry, man.” His friend, Jonghyun slapped his back.

 

Jaerim made his way back to the room. The hallways are quiet after school. Usually, there will be a few club activities, but no one stays on Fridays expect their soccer club. When he rushed into the class, he saw a person sitting by the window, Soeun. She had her head down on the table and eyes close, peacefully sleeping.

 

Jaerim took light steps towards her and carefully slip pass the chairs and desks. He kneel next to her desk and had a closer look at her. For some reason, her face and expression seems so familiar. Her soft eyebrows and rose pink lips relaxes him. The warm silence was suddenly broken by the ring tone. Jaerim quickly jumped back afraid to wake her up. He quickly fished the phone out of his pocket.

“What?” He answered casually after seeing Jonghyun’s name on the screen.

 

“Dude. Captain said practice will be canceled today. It’s going to rain. I am going to pick up my sis. You can go home first.”  

 

“Ugh, wait. I don’t have an umbrella.” Jaerim said in a low voice.

 

“I don’t know man. Run home. There is still time...” His friend paused and talked to another person and then came back louder. “Never mind dude. It’s rain already. I will see you tomorrow.”

 

“You can have my umbrella.” He heard a voice from the background. Soeun was awake already. She pulled out a umbrella from her desk.

 

“No. I can’t. What about you then?” He declined.

 

“I will just wait for the rain to stop.” She turned her head towards the dark sky.

 

Jaerim took the umbrella from her hand and waited. “Come on.” He said and tilt his head toward the door.

 

Soeun lifted her eyebrows in surprises. “What?”

 

The boy said with a warm smile on his face. “I will walk you home.”


 

As they walked next to each other under the small umbrella, Jaerim would take a peek at her secretly. After the cross the first road, he notice her strange walk, so he broke the silence.

 

“Is your leg ok?”

 

She seem to be shocked by his question, but there is also a hint of hope in her eyes. “I just learn to walk recently. I am still practicing.”

 

“Oh.” Jaerim bites his lips realize he might have asked something wrong.

 

From the corner of his eyes, he saw the redness around her ankle. Every time she takes a step, her feet would leap towards another side.

 

Jaerim stopped walking and so did she. After all she is trapped in the umbrella with him.

 

“What happen?” Soeun questioned.

 

Jaerim hands her the umbrella and turned his back towards her. “Come on. I will carry you.” The boy said once again.

 

He no longer remembers her, but why is he doing all these. Why is he keep on pulling the string on her heart. She decline a several time, but Jaerim pulled her wrist around his neck and lift her up. With his well manner hands, he looped under her legs.

 

They were walking down the rainy road. Cars passes by once a while, but no words are being exchanged. She puts her chin on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

 

When did she had this type of feeling towards him? She became greedy all of a sudden.

 

At that moment, she wished time had stopped.

 

So she can be with him forever.

 
 
 

I apologize for the lack of updates. I just started college, so things gotten a bit busy. Thank you for waiting.