Were/Are Lovers

Teach Me: What is Karma

“Everything!” Jieun finally lets her tears streams down her shaking face. “You need to remember me! It hurts me so much to see you with someone else!”

* * *

 

“Let’s go home.” Soeun over heard the other’s conversation. It was the end of the school day. As soon as the bell rang, circles of groups glue back together and made their way out of the school. Soeun slide her textbook into her bookbag. She is an alone wolf. It never felt strange to be alone, maybe she was one before too.

 

“Let’s go. Soeun.”

 

She lifted up her head and couldn’t help to smile back at Jaerim. On second thought, it’s not so bad to have someone else.

 

“So we are even going home together now?” Soeun joked.

 

 

 

 

 

Jaerim laughed, “Right. You were the stubborn one who kept holding back.” The boy smile and took in a deep breath. “I am telling you. I am not hiding now. I have confessed it yesterday.”

 

“That’s not a confession.” Soeun jokingly rolled her eyes.

 

“It was.” The boy pouted. “I was super nervous.”

 

“You didn’t even think about it when you said that.” Soeun suddenly stopped her teasing when she saw Kibum and Jieun walking towards them. The atmosphere quickly died down. She doesn’t like see Kibum. He makes her nervous at times and even afraid.

 

“May I borrow her?” Kibum walked right to Soeun and lead her away with his arm.

 

“Wait!” Jaerim was about to follow them, but Jieun pulled on his hand.

 

Jaerim. We have decided.” The girl sounds like she is about to cry. Jaerim turned back around and quickly pains his heart to see his friend like that.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jaerim questioned sweetly. It’s this boy’s nature. He can’t help but to put everyone before him.

 

“Everything!” Jieun finally lets her tears streams down her shaking face. “You need to remember me! It hurts me so much to see you with someone else!”

 

Where had he heard this before...





 

“Where are you taking me!” Soeun shrugged his arms off her shoulder. They stop in the middle of the empty running track.

 

Kibum took a few step back and smiled at Soeun. “Aren’t you going to join the committee?”

 

“Power, fame and wealth. I am not interested.” Soeun proclaimed.

 

“You have changed.” Kibum ruffled his hand across his coat black hair. “Don’t you remember me.”

 

“I am not interested in knowing who we use to be.” Soeun announced.

 

“I really miss you.” The boy confesses.

 

“I have been searching for you.” He continuous. “That day I watched you run in front of the car.” Soeun felt a striking pain against her head. For a second, she thought she had lost her hearing.

 

The boy took a step closer to her, but she didn’t move. “I called the ambulance. You were bleeding in my arm.” Soeun examining the possible truth in front of her. “You were part of the committee. We met each other in the first group meeting. You told me that you like my confidence. I told you I like your boldness.”

The boy took another step closer. “After the accident, I transfered school because I wasn’t allow to find information about you.”

 

Now he is right in front of her. She can recognize the familiar smell. His story is giving her flashes of image.




 

“Stay away from Soeun.” Jieun requested. “She is being bullied. If you are with her, they will go after you too.”

 

“Is that what you wanted to say?” Jaerim let out a sigh. “I will be fine. Thank you for your worry.”

 

“No. I am one of the gossiper in the school.” The girl let out a guilty look. “You knew.”

 

“Before you forgot everything. I was being bullied and you came to comfort me.” Jieun explained. “I liked you for a very long time. I was a year younger than you, but you treated me like your friend.”

 

She held on to his hand and pulled them closer to her face. “Before your accident, I confessed to you. You told me that you will protect me from the bullies. But then that happened, you completely forgot your promise.”

 

“I don’t know what to say. I ...” The boy stood in confusion. “I am sorry.”

 

“Don’t apologize. Please Jaerim. Remember me.” The girl plead. “I miss you. Don’t be with that girl again. She harm you once. She will harm you twice.”

 

“I...”

 

“I only transfer to this school, because I heard you had came back. I have been wait you to come back to me.”

 

“I am sorry, but I am not interested in the past.” The boy announced.

 

Jaerim, I am your girlfriend.” Jieun swept and hits Jaerim’s chest weakly. She then wraps her arms around the boy. He felt guilty. As he turned his head towards the track field.

 

He saw Kibum pulled Soeun into an embrace. His eyes focused on Kibum, who said something against Soeun’s ear.


 

It almost sounds like.

 

Soeun don’t forget me. I am your boyfriend.”


 

 

 

 

 

Jaerim turned his attention away from the two. He don’t want to witness what will happen next. If that is really what Kibum, then maybe Soeun will remember.

 

 

 

 

 

Jaerim was wrong about being lovers with Soeun.

 

He kind of wish they were.

 

Now he just have to make sure.

 

They are.


 

It doesn’t matter what she will remember. He wants to protect her. Just like when they are in the hospital.

 

Right! “Hospital.” Jaerim whispered the word to himself. “Right.” He remembers.


Airplane. Yo-yo. He smiled. She has always been there.