CH/1 5/6

The Visitor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

              Rattling engine sounds interlaced with one of those particular fragrance of summertime, the sides of road stood walls of arbor vitaes, seemingly reaching forward in an endless trail.

 

              Taeyeon concluded that classiness was too good for her modernized taste and it was neither the fault of retro or the fact she was anti-luddited. The still on-going three hours journey of car sitting wasn't much of a fun thing, and the car she meant by was her grandmother's favorite collection of 1995 Chrysler, with shrinking volume and angular carriage.

 

              It would be much comfortable if they were in her Bugatti, the driver of this "classic" was an old man, reticent, not a word was exchanged between the two during these unbearable hours. The atmosphere inside the car was sweltering hot, pespiration blotched daubs of transparent unease on her forehead. Taeyeon sighed, the air conditioner was breathing lifelessly.

 

              She didn't complain, almost of all time, especially when a sense of tact spring masticating on her nerves, telling her if she was heading to her grandmother's house she'd better hold her tongue. This arrangement was organized by none other than, of course, her grandmother, Mrs. Kim, a meticulous 65 years old woman who bolstered one of the most influential corporation in Asia. When Taeyeon finished her final year in High School, Mrs. Kim had pre-planned to have her granddaughter under her watch, and this visit inevitably fell into the schedule of summer holiday, when all of Taeyeon's friends were going on a nice, comfy trip overboard, perhaps lying on the beach of Australian coast and basking under the sunlight.

 

              As she was thinking the car had halted its running wheels. They had arrived at the foot of the hill where the mansion settled aloft. Taeyeon immediately got out of the car before the heat in the vehicle killed to her lungs. Delicate fountain splayed before her eyes as spritzs of water emanated from the center, streaming into an aquatic umbrella. Two long stairs encompassed the fountain, extending towards top of the flat area, where a house of grandeur upended itself against the morning sky.

 

             The old driver took Taeyeon's luggage, motioned her to go up. Slightly adjusted her crumpled white dress, and with a certain prevision of ultimate exhaustion, she lifted her foot on those menacing stairs.

 

              Luckily, Taeyeon did not have many high heels in her apartment, in which this morning her selection of foot wear included only the leather shoe with a flat bottom. Nonetheless, it didn't make things easier. Near the top of the hill, Taeyeon felt like her legs were about to collapse at any time, she even had to used her hands to support from actually falling. Turning her head, only the view of an abysmal-like slope greeted her. Never mind.

 

              A final groan of fatigue, she was on the same level as her grandmother's mansion, the driver soon followed her and led Taeyeon through the front entrance.

 

              The mansion was massive in fact, definitely Mrs. Kim's professional taste in architecture. Late European style of its structure, giving the viewer a feeling of solemnity and stately momentum. Various type of plants embellished the front yard of the living part of the mansion, and there was the front door of the residence, an Italian Rosewood piece stretching in its two-meters extent.

 

              Taeyeon glanced around, confounded by the absence of some sort of servants, which usually occurred to rich family in movies.

 

              "Miss Taeyeon, please follow me." The old man finally uttered from his scratchy throat, surprising Taeyeon.

 

              "Oh, okay, please lead the way, mister."

 

              "I'm Mr. Jeon, Miss Taeyeon, the only butler here."The old butler introduced.

 

              "Glad, Mr. Jeon."Taeyeon smiled back in terms of basic decorum, still a bit confused from the sudden change of identity of this Mr. Jeon.

 

              Mr. Jeon bowed, strutted onward and unlocked the front door before opened it for Taeyeon. As the rosewood piece unlatched she was astonished to behold the revelation of interior. Unlike anything she had seen in her life in the city, the house was luxurious, and huge, perhaps "huge" was not enough to describe the entire capacity of the space ahead. Marble flooring in its pristine tincture sheeted the expansive area just beneath feet; the wall hanging with century masterpieces seemed towering from the ground view. Glittering chandeliers, expensive vases and flowers, bronze sculptures in style of Baroque, endless bonuses. Imitating the foot of the hill, there also two stair case of fine metallic art railing guided Taeyeon's eyes along with it, and she jumped when it rested on the top of the stairs, it was Mrs. Kim smiling at her.

 

             "Oh my Jesus Christ, grandma?" Taeyeon silently shrieked at the sight of Mrs. Kim, who was smiling, but in her case this expression creeped her out since she had not been completely alleviated from the abrupt presence of her grandmother.

 

              "Taeyeon."Mrs. Kim smiled, hands overlapped in front her straightened torso. She still looked very spirited and serious despite what the aging had done to her.

 

              "What took you so long to get here?"

 

              Your car.

 

              Mrs. Kim said, taking out her pendant watch. "Fifty-six minutes late, precisely."

 

              "I'm really sorry, grandma, I suppose it must be some...technical problems." Taeyeon apologized hastily, not failing to castigate the car mentally.

 

              Mrs. Kim nodded, now taking the stairs descending down to the ground floor. Taeyeon fidgeted on her spot, too much stress to face her long-time-no-see grandmother, every step she took was like an increment of atmospheric pressure oppressing on her.

 

              "Welcome to the mansion." Mrs. Kim extended her hands when she reached her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter