Chapter 4: New Responsibilities

Step By Step

 

The next morning, the King and Yoochun sat through a meeting with parliament.
 
“Your Majesty, I think it’s best we start looking for a suitable crown princess. It will take several years to train a crown princess once she is selected.” The prime minister suggested, and Yoochun’s eyes almost fell out.
 
“I agree, your Majesty. This will also lessen princess Hyun Ae’s responsibilities, giving her a chance to concentrate on her studies.”
 
The King looked towards his son before speaking, “As much as I’d like my daughter to focus more on her studies, I think it’s still too early for Yoochun to get married right away. So I think as a compromise, from now until Yoochun finishes high school, the royal family, and several ministers, can start looking for prospective crown princesses, as well as screening them. However, the final decision should be the crown princes’ -- we are a modern monarchy, as a father and the King I want my son to be happy, and I want him to rule alongside someone he wants to.”
 
“It’s decided then. We will begin looking at eligible candidates, and let the royal family decide in due time.”
 
------
 
Neither of the royal children went to school that day, because while Yoochun had to attend parliament, Hyun Ae had “princess lessons”, which weren’t exactly what they showed in the movies.
 
“So you mean I have to study all these for the charity events I’ll have to attend?” Hyun Ae was shocked at the mountain of books placed in front of her.
 
“Yes, your highness. You will be expected to deliver a speech on the causes the charities are promoting, as well as give press interviews for some of them. We will start with reviewing information this morning, and later this afternoon we will be writing speeches and going through important points.”
 
Hyun Ae slammed her head on her desk in frustration.
 
------
 
“Your Majesty, I’d like to introduce you to my eldest son, Jaejoong.” The prime minister said, as Jaejoong gave the King a ninety-degree bow.
 
“It’s very nice to meet you, Jaejoong.”
 
“Jaejoong?” Yoochun asked when he saw Jaejoong and his dad.
 
Jaejoong bowed before Yoochun said in a joking tone, “Aish, I told you not to bow to me.” 
 
When the King and the Prime Minister gave Yoochun and Jaejoong strange looks, Yoochun said, “Dad, we’re classmates.”
 
“Jung Soo, you said Jaejoong was your eldest, so he has siblings?” The King asked.
 
“Yes, your Majesty. I have a younger daughter. Why do you ask?”
 
“Hmmm, interesting. I was wondering because we discussed possible crown princesses in the meeting, and since you said you have a daughter, she’ll obviously be a very good candidate.”
 
“But Taeyeon’s with Junsu,” Jaejoong said to himself.
 
------
 
“We are in an age where technology is both helpful and damaging… so… um… it’s… err…important that we…well…” Hyun Ae’s brain was starting to get cloudy after hours of reading and writing.
 
“You look like you need a break, your highness. I’ll go over the other speeches you wrote, and you can rest until your other coach arrives.”
 
“I have another coach?”
 
“His Majesty thought it would be good to have another coach who is your age, so you feel more comfortable delivering speeches.”
 
------
 
“They really can’t be serious about finding me a wife.” Yoochun said, frustrated.
 
“At least you get to choose in the end! My dad is most probably going to choose mine. Worst case scenario is, I don’t even meet her until we’re married.” Jaejoong sighed.
 
“That’s harsh. Are you planning to do anything about it?”
 
“If I manage to find someone who outdoes all my dad’s choices, that would be great. But he’s probably going to choose a minister’s daughter or something, which makes it pretty gross. I seriously can’t imagine marrying someone like BoA.”
 
------
 
“Changmin!” Hours later, Hyun Ae’s face brightened when she saw that her new coach was Changmin.
 
“It’s an honor, your highness.” Changmin bowed, making Hyun Ae sigh in frustration.
 
“Uhhh, okay. Where do we start?” Hyun Ae said, disappointed that Changmin was being professional.
 
“If you could let me hear one of the speeches you’ve finished, that would be perfect, your highness.” Changmin stiffly said.
 
“This is going to be a very long evening.”
 
------
 
I realize that this is going to be a long and continuous effort that I really have to drag myself through. But I want to finish this, and I want to write fiction. Decently. We all have to start somewhere, right? D: