Chapter 3: New Friends

Step By Step

 

“Uh, Hyung, I think we have to introduce them to everyone. They look a bit confused.” Changmin said, referring to Hyun Ae and Yoochun.
 
Jaejoong spoke up.
 
“Right. Okay, this guy beside me is Jung Yunho, his father’s family owns Samsung, and his mother is a member of the parliament. On my other side is Kim Junsu. His dad is my dad’s best advisor and closest friend, and we’ve known each other since forever. Beside Yunho is Shim Changmin, like I said a while ago, he’s the smartest guy in Munhwa, which basically makes him the smartest guy in the country. His dad is president of Seoul National University, so if you want to get in after high school, you better start buttering up to him.” Hyun Ae and Yoochun were wide-eyed the entire time. 
 
Just then, Hyun Ae noticed four girls walking towards their table, and four empty seats.

“Oh! Just in time girls, we’re having lunch with the new royals.”
 
“I was wondering when we’d finally get to meet them.” The shorter black-haired one said, before sitting down on one of the empty seats.
 
“This is Kwon BoA and Lee Jiyeon, their dads are both ministers. Beside BoA is Tiffany Hwang, her dad is the Korean ambassador to the US, and beside her is Kim Taeyeon, my little sister.”
 
“You left out yourself, you moron.” Changmin stated. “Anyway, that’s Kim Jaejoong, Taeyeon’s older brother, and the son of the prime minister.”
 
“I thought you said your dad was a minister?” Hyun Ae was surprised to find out who Jaejoong was.
 
“I didn’t say anything like that! I just said my dad’s in parliament, which he is.”
 
“When did that happen? I highly doubt you two have classes together.” Yoochun asked Hyun Ae.
 
“Oh, yeah, oppa. I bumped into him during the coronation banquet, but didn’t manage to have an entire conversation with him.” Hyun Ae explained.
 
------
 
The rest of the day went smoothly for Hyun Ae and Yoochun, with both siblings impressing their teachers and classmates alike. 
 
Hyun Ae was waiting for Yoochun on one of the benches outside of Munhwa Prep, fiddling with her phone and looking through all the commitments she had as a royal. She let out a sigh -- it was probably the first time since their coronation that she was able to actually sit down and let even just a bit of everything sink in.
 
“Fancy seeing you here, your highness.” A voice snapped her out of her thoughts.
 
“Jaejoong?”
 
“The one and only. So what’s the princess of Korea doing here, all alone outside?”
 
“Thinking. And trying to internalize everything.” Hyun Ae sighed. She seemed to be sighing a lot lately.
 
“Ah. Well, I’m sure you’ll be able to take everything in. Changmin told me you’re smart. And coming from him, that means a lot.” Sensing that Hyun Ae was troubled, Jaejoong tried to lighten the mood a bit.
 
“Are you sure he was talking about me?”
 
“Min is too smart to not be sure about who he’s talking about. And actually, I’m not half bad either.” 
 
“I’ll have to ask Chun oppa to confirm that.” Hyun Ae grinned.
 
“A smile on your face. That’s better.” Jaejoong smiled.
 
Before Hyun Ae could properly blush, her phone started ringing.
 
“Hyori Unnie?... Mmm okay, what time do we have to be there?…. I haven’t seen Chun oppa since lunch time, he’s probably still in class. Okay, okay, thank you.”
 
Jaejoong raised his eyebrows questioningly.
 
“Oh, it’s, um, I don’t really know what to call her, but like she tells me about my schedule and wakes me up and fixes my stuff and… stuff.”
 
“I believe that’s called a royal executive assistant, your highness.”
 
“Aish, you’re older than me and you still call me ‘your highness’?”
 
“I’ll call you by your name if you start calling me oppa. You call Yoochun that!”
 
“Deal. Oppa.” 
 
------
 
“Unnie, who’s going to be at the dinner tonight?” Hyun Ae asked Hyori as the seamstresses were fixing her gown.
 
“The prime minister and his family, and a few key ambassadors and their families. Why your highness, are you looking for anyone in particular?”
 
That means Jaejoong’s going to be there.
 
“Oh, nothing. Just curious. I’ve noticed that we’ve only met with old men these past few weeks.”
 
“Apart from the coronation banquet, this is the first official event that’s open to families of officials, your highness.”
 
Hyun Ae began staring into space again, another habit she seemed to have picked up alongside sighing.
 
“We should hurry, your highness.” Hyori’s voice brought her back from her thoughts.
 
------
 
“You should use this dinner as a chance to look for a wife, while I’m still giving you a choice, son.” Jaejoong’s dad was using his stern voice again, something Jaejoong was more than used to hearing.
 
“Dad, isn’t it enough that the only girls I actually know are all filthy rich? If you want their money I can just choose from anyone at school.” Jaejoong was bored, tired, and annoyed. Not the best combination.
 
“There you go again! How dare you think all I’m after is money! How many times have I told you that if you want to keep this… this frivolous life you and your friends live, you have to align yourself with the right people. You and Taeyeon alike. This is not a matter of money alone.”
 
“Jaejoong, honey, listen to your father. Give it a try, hmm? If you really don’t like anyone, we can talk again. We’re almost there, fix your suit.” Jaejoong’s mother said, smoothing out the creases in Jaejoong’s suit jacket in an attempt to calm him down.
 
------
 
“Oppa!” Tiffany called Jaejoong as he saw him enter the palace hall with Taeyeon and his parents. “Good evening Mister Kim and Missis Kim, it’s good to see you again.” Tiffany bowed.
 
“Likewise, Tiffany. Are your parents here already?” Jaejoong’s mother asked.
 
“Yes, I saw them talking to his Majesty just now.”
 
“Well, we’ll leave you kids alone, nice seeing you, Tiffany.” Jaejoong’s dad said, leaving the three.
 
“Have you seen Junsu around?” Taeyeon asked Tiffany.
 
“He’s probably somewhere here. I didn’t know there was going to be this many people! I haven’t seen the prince and princess yet though.”
 
------
 
Hyun Ae’s eyes wandered again, but this time she spotted Jaejoong, Taeyeon and Tiffany talking. She excused herself before making her way to the three, who bowed when they saw her approaching.
 
“It really makes me uncomfortable when you bow to me.” Hyun Ae said, still shy.
 
“Everyone will think we’re disrespectful though, your highness.” Tiffany said, earning another frown from Hyun Ae.
 
“So, who else is coming tonight?” Jaejoong asked.
 
“Junsu told me he’d be here. Yunho and Changmin I’m not sure.”
 
“Oh! Junsu is with Chun oppa, they’re playing some sort of video game in our wing in the main house.” Hyun Ae remembered.
 
“Aish, that Junsu. Always finding a way to play games.”
------------------------
 
I am on a roll! For my standards, at least. ^_^