Chapter 9: Old Habits

Step By Step

 

“He said WHAT?!” Changmin’s voice boomed from Hyun Ae’s phone. 
 
The party ended a while after the “incident”, so Hyun Ae was back at the palace, looking through her schedule for the next few days while talking to Changmin about what happened earlier that night.
 
“I don’t think it was meant for me at first, but then he mentioned you and I just froze.”
 
“That sneaky bastard.” Changmin cursed, rubbing his temples. He had classes to teach tomorrow and he didn’t have time for drama.
 
“Are you jealous? Don’t be. Jaejoong oppa might’ve been one of my first close friends, but you’re my first boyfriend. And my only.” Hyun Ae smiled to herself.
 
“And I’d like it to stay that way, except hyung is making things difficult. You do know that his dad has been pressuring him to marry a girl from a good family since before you became princess? I was always suspicious of his motives towards you.” 
 
“I’m more worried for him than I am for us. You know he still always makes sense even if he’s passed out on the floor. Either he’s being serious or something happened to him in the States so he’s letting it out on me.”
 
“Hyung was always more aloof than he was expected to be. I don’t know what he got up to while he was gone, and I don’t think I want to. Anyway, you have meetings tomorrow and I have extra load -- I should hang up.” Changmin said, still looking through his notes.
 
“Alright. I love you. Get some rest.”
 
“I love you too. Sweet dreams, my princess.”
 
-----
 
The next morning, instead of a firm but motherly wake-up call from Hyori, Hyun Ae was woken up with a kiss and the smell of coffee.
 
“Even if your dad won’t let you stay over at my place, it doesn’t mean that you can’t wake up next to me.” Changmin smiled, and Hyun Ae giggled.
 
“Are you being a cheeseball because you’re afraid Jaejoong might steal me away from you?”
 
“No! Of course not. You know I have my soft days. And I’m just so stressed with everything right now that you’re my only sanctuary.” 
 
“So cheesy! What time is it? Didn’t you say you were going to be busy today? Did my dad see you coming in to my room?”
 
“So many questions!” Changmin copied Hyun Ae, for which he got a slap on the shoulder. “It’s eight. Yes, I’m going to be busy in around two hours. I stayed up last night though so I don’t have anything to do until then. And yes, his majesty saw me and gave me permission. I’m just great like that.”
 
“I don’t doubt your greatness.” Hyun Ae said, kissing Changmin herself.
 
“Be careful what you start, your highness. Especially when you’re dressed in something like this.” Changmin said, looking at Hyun Ae’s short, sheer pink nightgown before leaning in for a deeper kiss that Hyun Ae gladly responded to.
 
“Like what?” Hyun Ae teased, knowing it would rile Changmin up.
 
“That’s it, I’m getting rid of this stupid thing.” he said, slipping the straps off Hyun Ae’s shoulders.
 
Hyun Ae and Changmin were so engrossed with each other that they didn’t notice Hyori walk in until she squealed in surprise.
 
“Ah! I’m so sorry your highness. I thought you were still asleep.” Hyori said, quickly turning around to leave the room. By that time, Hyun Ae had already pushed Changmin off her and put her dressing robe on.
 
“It’s okay unnie. Good morning! What’s the matter?”
 
“I just wanted to tell you that I e-mailed your detailed schedule. Your clothes have already been laid out in your dressing room, and breakfast will be served in half an hour. His majesty requests your presence, as well as Changmin’s.”
 
“Oh okay. Thanks unnie. We’ll be down in a while.”
 
-----
 
“Morning!” Hyun Ae said, entering the dining hall while Changmin was on the phone just outside. All the servers and maids bowed as Hyun Ae settled down in her seat next to Yoochun.
 
“Good morning, dear. Where’s Changmin?”
 
“He’s on the phone. He’ll be here in a while. What’s for breakfast?”
 
The servers quickly filled Hyun Ae’s plate, and by the time they were done, Changmin had come in.
 
“Good morning, your majesties, your highness.” He greeted. Even if he’d been visiting for years, he was still very formal.
 
“Have you had breakfast yet?” The queen asked.
 
“I had something on the way. Besides I don’t want to be too full before work.” Changmin smiled.
 
“It’s good that you’re here, Changmin. I wanted to talk to you and Hyun Ae together for a while now.” The King said.
 
“About what, dad?” Hyun Ae asked, curious. The king didn’t usually talk to both of them together.
 
“Your options. And not just yours, Hyun Ae, but your options as a couple. It’s been a year since you graduated and I was just wondering if you were planning to start working anywhere else. I’m not pressuring you, but I just want a definite answer. Because if you don’t have anything in mind for a job, I’m suggesting that you get engaged to Changmin within the month.” The King explained.
 
“But your majesty, Hyun Ae…” Changmin started.
 
“You don’t have to get married just yet, at least not until Yoochun and Jiyeon do, but that’ll be next month already. In any case I’m not rushing you to do anything other than get engaged, which is a promise that’s easier to break than marriage, heaven forbid either of those ever happen. I just want some permanence to your relationship, since obviously you two are serious, and I think the people want to see that too.”
 
Hyun Ae and Changmin looked at each other, but stayed silent.
 
“Honestly dad, I don’t know what I want to do, if I want to work or what, and I don’t think it’s something I’ll figure out in the near future. But I’m not getting engaged unless Changmin wants to propose.”
 
“Your majesty, can I… can I talk to you in private?” Changmin finally spoke.
 
-----
 
“Sit down. It’s been years but you’re still so stiff around me. What did you want to talk about?” The King said, giving Changmin a warm smile.
 
“I’ve been thinking of proposing for a while now, but I wanted your majesty’s permission first, and I wanted to make sure Hyun Ae’s ready.”
 
“Believe me, she is. You should know. And of course I give you my permission, if there’s anyone I want my daughter to marry, it’s you.”
 
Changmin broke eye contact out of shyness.
 
“But I can’t help being a bit overwhelmed with everything we have to do when we get engaged. We have to plan the wedding, we need to find a house, Hyun Ae will be leaving the palace…” Changmin rambled, making the King laugh.
 
“She didn’t spend her whole life in the palace, Changmin. She’ll be okay. Have you told your parents of your plans? I’m sure they’ll be delighted to help you out, as will the entire palace. Hyun Ae will still be a royal after she marries you, even if she won’t have the little political power she has now, you know that. She knows that.”
 
“I guess I’ll start planning my proposal. Thank you, your majesty, for everything.” Changmin smiled, getting up from his seat.
 
“One more thing -- do you have a ring yet?”
 
“I was planning to give her my grandmother’s Harry Winston. But I don’t know if it’s still with my mom.”
 
----
 
“So what did you talk about?” Hyun Ae asked as she walked with Changmin to his car.
 
“I just wanted to clarify what’s going to happen if we do ever get married. I just need to think over things right now.” Changmin lied, and Hyun Ae didn’t buy it but she kept it to herself.
 
“Do you not want to marry me?” Hyun Ae asked, the hate in her voice showing.
 
“What? Where did that come from? Of course I want to marry you -- I just don’t want to mess things up when I do. I can’t lose you and you know that.” Changmin said, placing his hands on Hyun Ae’s waist and leaning in to kiss her.
 
But Hyun Ae pulled away, surprising Changmin. 
 
“There’s something you’re not telling me and you know I hate it when you lie to me. I’ll be busy today, just call tonight or something.” Hyun Ae said, turning and walking back inside the palace, leaving a stunned Changmin.