Chapter 2: New School

Step By Step

 

One week later...
 
“Dad, I’m barely eighteen. Don’t you think it’s a bit too early to start all these marriage talks?”
 
Kim Jaejoong, son of Kim Jung Soo, the former senate president and now-prime minister, looked at his father with both anger and desperation at the thought of marriage. As if he wasn’t pressured enough as it was.
 
“On the contrary, son. The earlier we start, the more time we have to choose. Especially now that I’m prime minister -- you can’t just marry anyone you want to anymore.”
 
“That too, for heaven’s sake Dad it’s 2012, arranged marriages just don’t happen anymore!” Jaejoong was practically screaming at that point.
 
“First of all, do not raise your voice in front of your father, and second, you of all people should know that aligning yourself with the right people is important if you want to keep this life.”
 
“AISH!” Even more frustrated at his father’s words, Jaejoong stormed out the room, leaving the maids startled at his sudden rebellion.
 
----------
 
“Make way! Let the prince and princess pass!” 
 
Reporters, TV crews and journalists gathered in an attempt to get a glimpse of Yoochun and Hyun Ae on their first day of school at Munhwa Prep.
 
“Hyun Ae? Where is she?” Yoochun called out amidst all the cameras flashing.
 
“Her highness is right behind, with her own set of bodyguards. Your highness we really must get going, the principal wishes to see you.” Jung Ji Hoon, the head of security for the Crown Prince, coaxed Yoochun.
 
Sighing, he had no choice to follow the guards and hope Hyun Ae didn’t get hurt.
 
----------
 
It was a matter of minutes before Hyun Ae arrived safely inside the building, but the minute Yoochun saw her he almost freaked out.
 
“Are you okay, did you get hurt?” Yoochun worriedly asked Hyun Ae.
 
“Oppa I know it’s only been a few weeks since we got into this mess, but really, you underestimate Siwon and Joon.” A calm Hyun Ae answered.
 
“I’m worried, that’s all.”
 
“And I appreciate that, after everything that’s happened recently. But oppa, this is our chance to feel even just a bit normal again. After all, it’s a school, how different can it be from our old one?”
 
Before Yoochun had time to react, Ji Hoon spoke, “Your highnesses, the principal.”
 
“Remind me again why we have to see the principal?” Hyun Ae asked.
 
“Because, dummy, we just transferred here.” Yoochun chuckled at his sister’s cluelessness.
 
----------
 
The walk to the principal’s office consisted of students gawking and Yoochun and staring Hyun Ae down, but the siblings were thankful that they didn’t have to walk too far.
 
“Your highnesses!” The principal bowed once he saw the two enter.
 
“Wait, aren’t we supposed to be bowing to him?” Hyun Ae whispered to Yoochun, who just shrugged before taking his seat in front of the principal.
 
“I never thought I’d serve Munhwa long enough to have royals pass through the halls, but look at what happened! Welcome to Munhwa Preparatory School, the most exclusive primary and high school in the country. I’m sure you’ll be at home here, because majority of our students are children of diplomats and politicians, and of course, all the proper arrangements have been made for your studies.”
 
Hyun Ae and Yoochun couldn’t do anything but nod.
 
“I understand that her highness is in her second year of high school, and his highness is in his last year,” The principal continued, handing the siblings matching folders with the Munhwa school seal printed on them, “inside those folders are your class schedules, school rules and regulations, and a list of extracurricular activities. Your guards have been briefed on your schedule as well, and they will bring you to your respective homerooms. First period, which is homeroom, starts in fifteen minutes.”
 
----------
 
Jaejoong arrived in front of Munhwa high, only to be greeted by press. They weren’t looking for him though, as they were all focused on two students Jaejoong had never seen before. When he saw their cars with the royal coat of arms, and the army of bodyguards surrounding them, he knew they were the new royal children.
 
“Sir, are you okay?” Leeteuk, Jaejoong’s bodyguard, nudged him slightly on the arm.
 
“Yes, Leeteuk, I’m fine. And how many times have I told you to call me Jaejoong? You’re older than me for heaven’s sake.”
 
“Right. Jaejoong.”
 
“HYUNG!”
 
Jaejoong’s focus momentarily shifted to Kim Junsu, one of his best friends. Junsu’s dad served as Jaejoong’s dad’s right-hand man, and the two had been friends practically since birth.
 
“Hi Su. You’re especially lively this morning.” Jaejoong grinned, bringing Junsu into a mock headlock.
 
“Hyung!” Junsu struggled to get free, but Jaejoong wouldn’t budge.
 
“Ah! I know why, it’s because your date with Tayeon went well last night, didn’t it?” When Junsu blushed, Jaejoong knew he was right, “Don’t worry, I approve of you with my little sister.”
 
“Little sister? Taeyeon?” Yunho asked, stepping out of his car.
 
Jung Yunho, heir to the Samsung empire, was Jaejoong’s other best friend, and closest confidant, due to the fact that they were the same age.
 
“Yeah. Looks like Junsu will be part of the family soon. But don’t propose until after I get married!”
 
“Aish look at you three horsing around. Get to class!” This was the situation that Shim Changmin, son of the president of Seoul National University and Munhwa prep’s current #1 student, had to see to every single day.
 
Although the four didn’t really see it that way, everyone else seemed to christen them the Kingkas of Munhwa prep. And of course, being Kingkas, they were subject to girls falling at their feet every morning on the way to class. This morning was slightly different though, because all the girls were busy chasing after Park Yoochun, and all the guys were talking about his sister Hyun Ae.
 
----------
 
“Good morning class, last week we were in the middle of discussing Madame Bovary as a modern individual, and I assigned a short paper on the topic. Would anyone…”
 
The lecture was interrupted by a knock on the door, and a hesitant Hyun Ae peeping. When it registered to the class that it was the new princess, they all stood up and bowed, leaving Hyun Ae even more hesitant and shy.
 
“Um.. I was told to come here after homeroom. Is.. is this honors literature?”
 
“Yes, it is. I forgot you were joining us, your highness. Please, take a seat.”
 
Hyun Ae made her way to the nearest seat, avoiding all eye contact.
 
“I’m not familiar with your previous school’s curriculum, but are you even at least familiar with Madame Bovary?” The professor asked.
 
“Well… I’ve read parts of it, and I guess I know the general story, sir.”
 
“That’s good enough. Anyway, back to where we were, would anyone like to start the discussion on Madame Bovary and give their answer on whether or not she is a modern individual?”
 
Everyone was quiet, mostly out of fear. The professor, Mr. Song, used to teach at Oxford before Munhwa hired him, and though he was extremely intelligent, he was also very strict and demanded a lot from his students, especially honors classes. But of course, Hyun Ae didn’t know that, so she slowly raised her hand.
 
“Yes, your highness.”
 
“Well, from what I’ve read sir, Madame Bovary seems like a modern individual, I guess in the sense that she took over how her life turned out. While she was still sort of ‘under’ men, in the traditional sense that she was married, she stayed at home, and in the case of her affair with another man, she acted like somewhat a submissive woman, she consciously made those decisions for herself. And even in her death, she wasn’t killed by someone else, she made the decision to poison herself out of her own accord. So I guess in that sense, that little independence she held, she’s a modern individual.”
 
Everyone in the classroom was shell-shocked, including professor Song, and Changmin, who was usually the only one who was confident in that class.
 
“Oh, wow. Are you sure you haven’t read the whole thing? That’s a very outstanding answer, your highness.”
 
Hyun Ae breathed a sigh of relief, “this isn’t going to be so bad,” she thought to herself.
 
----------
 
Meanwhile, Yoochun’s second period was honors physics with Jaejoong and Yunho, who he got along with fairly quickly.
 
“Please, don’t call me by my title, it’s really uncomfortable.” Yoochun pleaded.
 
Yunho looked at Jaejoong with a confused face, before Jaejoong spoke.
 
“So, um, what do we call you, if not your highness?”
 
“Yoochun’s fine, or Chun. My friends used to call me that.”
 
“Okay, Chun. Right, Yunho?” Jaejoong looked at Yunho.

“Uh, okay, Ch...un?”
 
Just then, the professor walked in, and everyone went back to their seats.
 
“Good morning class. Right, we have a new student today, but I believe you’ve already caught up with our lessons, so I’ll go straight to today’s lecture. Please turn to page 482 of your textbook, and page 120 of your workbook. We’ll go through half of the problems today, and the other half will be homework for Wednesday.”
 
----------
 
“Your highness! Wait!” Hyun Ae still wasn’t used to being called a title, so it took Changmin a few tries before she stopped.
 
“Oh. You were in my lit and math classes!” Hyun Ae recognized Changmin, but before he could properly bow, “please, don’t bow, we’re the same age,” she pleaded.
 
“Uhh, okay. I just wanted to return your schedule. You dropped it on your way out, and I thought that since it’s your first day, you’ll need it more than anything.”
 
“Wow, thank you so much! I didn’t get your name?”
 
“Changmin.”
 
“… Munhwa’s number one student for the past four years.” Said a voice from behind.
 
“Jaejoong hyung! Aish.”
 
“Jae...joong?” Hyun Ae looked baffled.
 
“Oh! Your highness! I was just heading to lunch with your brother and a few friends, including Changmin here. Would you like to join us?” Jaejoong offered.
 
“Sure.”