Chapter 6: New Revelations

Step By Step

 

“CHANGMIN!” Yunho screamed after spotting Changmin coming out of a restaurant.
 
“Oh. Hi hyung.” 
 
“Would you mind telling me why you ran away? We’ve been looking for you all over the place!”
 
Changmin just sighed and kept walking towards his car.
 
“Shim Changmin!”
 
“Fine. If I tell you, promise me you won’t tell the others. Well except Junsu who already knows. But still, please?”
 
“O...kay?”
 
------
 
“Jaejoong-oppa likes the princess?” Taeyeon asked as she and Junsu were snuggled on the sofa of one of Junsu’s family’s penthouses.
 
“And so does Changmin. Ahhh love triangles. It’s been a while since Munhwa’s had a major love triangle.” Junsu said, Taeyeon’s hair.
 
“I’m so glad I don’t have to fight with anyone over you.” Taeyeon smiled, leaning in for a kiss.
 
-----
 
“He likes Hyun Ae? As in romantically?” Jaejoong asked Yunho as the maids brought drinks into Jaejoong’s suite.
 
After Changmin explained things to Yunho, he went straight to Jaejoong’s.
 
“Apparently. But he sounds really insecure about going against you, since you know, you’re you. And he’s under the impression that he’s inferior.”
 
“He should know that I don’t really like Hyun Ae romantically right now. I only said that because it’s a possibility and so you guys can cover for me if my dad starts questioning you.”
 
“Ah but you know Changmin, he still thinks we’re in grade school and he’s an unattractive nerd.”
 
“Tell him I told you that Hyun Ae’s all his. If he really wants her, that is.”
 
“Am I your messenger now? You tell him!” Yunho said, pouring some soju for himself.
 
“You know, for a Samsung heir you have pretty cheap taste.” Jaejoong laughed.
 
“Hey! Not all expensive things are good.”
 
“Says the man who refuses to drive a Hyundai. Even for business.”
 
“That’s different. Hyundai still has issues to deal with, soju, on the other hand, is classic.” Yunho said, earning an eyebrow raise from Jaejoong.
 
“It’s true!”
 
-----
 
“Dear princess…”
 
“Too formal.”
 
“To Hyun Ae…”
 
“Still to formal. Ugh.”
 
“Dear Hyun Ae…”
 
Suddenly, Changmin’s phone rang.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Changmin?”
 
“Jaejoong hyung?”
 
“Don’t get mad, but Yunho told me why you left a while ago.”
 
“WHAT?!”
 
“Aish this kid, I just told you not to get mad! Anyway, that’s not why I’m calling. I just want to tell you that I don’t actually romantically like Hyun Ae, like you guys seem to have thought I have. And besides, it’s about time you started dating. How old are you again? Eighty?”
 
“Hyung!”
 
“So yeah, make your move already! I’m here if you need any help. Like finding a jeweler or a florist and stuff girls like.” Changmin could practically hear Jaejoong’s grin over the phone.
 
“Yeah yeah whatever hyung. Go to sleep! Or do your homework or something. I have to go.” Changmin said, hanging up.
 
-----
 
The next morning, Changmin stopped by his favorite coffee shop.
 
“Good morning! Your regular?” The cashier asked.
 
“Um yeah, but I’ll take two this time. ” Changmin said, handing over his credit card.
 
By the time he got to Munhwa, the royal convoy was just about to pull up. Parking nearby and grabbing his things, Changmin walked towards the limo, only to be stopped by the guards.

“I’m sorry sir, please stand back.” Changmin was about to answer when a voice interrupted.
 
“Siwon, it’s okay. He’s a friend.” Hyun Ae said, straightening her skirt before walking over to Changmin.
 
“Morning! We have first period together, right?” Hyun Ae smiled as the two started walking into the building.
 
“You didn’t come with Yoochun hyung?”
 
“He’s not coming to school today. Princely duties or whatever.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“For your girlfriend?” Hyun Ae asked, pointing at the two cups of coffee Changmin was holding.
 
“Oh, no actually, I got this for you. Since calculus is a pain and coffee solves pretty much everything I thought a boost would be good. I don’t know what you like though so I just got what I usually get.” Changmin shyly said, handing Hyun Ae one of the cups.
 
“You didn’t have to!” Hyun Ae said, sipping some of the coffee. “This is really good, thanks Changmin.”
 
“It’s nothing. I was getting one for myself anyway.”
 
“Is this okay though? Won’t your girlfriend get jealous?”
 
“Ah well she’s non-existent, so I doubt it.”
 
“Really? You’re too hot to not have one.” Hyun Ae said, before realizing what she said.
 
“You… you think I’m hot?”
 
Before Hyun Ae could answer, the PA system announced that classes were starting, and the two got to the door of their classroom.
 
“Well.. I…”
 
The professor was already speaking when Changmin opened the door for Hyun Ae and went in after her.
 
“Everyone, please take your seats. We have a lot of cover for next week’s exam and I don’t want anyone falling behind.”
 
-----
 
Later that day, everyone got together for lunch.
 
“Well, this is awkward.” Jaejoong said, referring to Junsu and Taeyeon’s kiss.
 
“I thought you just approved of them the other day? They’re going to be doing way more if they get married.” Yunho teased.
 
“Gross! Taeyeon is my baby sister!”
 
“Excuse me, your highness,” Siwon bowed, walking up to the table the friends shared.
 
“Oh, Siwon, is something wrong?” Hyun Ae asked.
 
“Miss Hyori wants to speak to you about your schedule, she’s on the line right now.” Siwon said, handing Hyun Ae a phone.
 
“I’ll be right back.”
 
Once Hyun Ae walked away, Jaejoong turned to Changmin.
 
“So?” He asked.
 
“So what?” Changmin retorted.
 
“You know what I’m talking about, have you made your move yet?”
 
“I heard you bought her coffee this morning?” Taeyeon said.
 
“Really?” Jaejoong was prodded.
 
“How did you know?” Changmin asked.
 
“We’re girls, we gossip in the rest rooms.”
 
“Anyway. Way to go Changmin. But that’s moving a bit too slow. Just ask her out already!” Jaejoog said.
 
“I am, I am. Later.”
 
“Later today?”
 
“Yes, father, later today.”
 
“Is this what I get for being a supportive friend? Father?”
 
-----
 
“You still haven’t answered my question from a while ago.” Changmin said as he and Hyun Ae were walking out of lit, their last class that day.
 
“It’s so embarrassing!” Hyun Ae blushed.
 
“Are you doing anything tonight?” Changmin asked.
 
“No, why?”
 
“Willyougoonadatewithme?” Changmin blurted. “I mean, do you want to have dinner? Or something? Your highness?”
 
-----
 
“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!” Tiffany squealed. BoA, Taeyeon and her were in Hyun Ae’s room watching her get ready for dinner with Changmin.
 
“I can’t believe he actually asked you out! Changmin’s growing up!” BoA said.
 
“You do like him, right?” Taeyeon asked as Hyun Ae threw several dresses on the bed.
 
“I think I do? He’s so nice and smart and…” Hyun Ae stopped, remembering what she said a while ago.
 
“And?”
 
“Hot?” Tiffany completed the sentence for Hyun Ae.
 
“Well, yeah.” Hyun Ae blushed.
 
“Yup, you definitely like him.” Taeyeon smiled.
 
-----
 
Once she was dressed and the other girls had left, Hyun Ae went to her dad’s office.
 
“Dad? It’s me.”
 
“Come in.”
 
“Hi daddy.” Hyun Ae smiled.
 
“Hi princess. I mean, Hyun Ae. Is something wrong? Sit down.” The King said, pointing to the couches in front of his desk.
 
“No, I’m just here to tell you that I’ll be out for dinner tonight.”
 
“With a boy?” Hyun Ae new this question was coming.
 
“Well… yes.” She answered, fiddling with her fingers.
 
“Do I know this boy?”
 
“I don’t think so? His dad is president of Seoul National though.”
 
“You mean the Shim boy?”
 
Just then, someone knocked on the door.
 
“Your highness, Shim Changmin is waiting for you downstairs.” Siwon’s voice said over the intercom.
 
“I better go. Night daddy.”
 
“Wait, I’m coming with you. Guard? Call the queen as well.”
 
-----
 
Changmin didn’t expect to be face-to-face with the King and Queen that night, so when he saw them coming down with Hyun Ae, he froze.
 
“Y… your majesty. It’s an honor.” Changmin said, giving a 90-degree bow.
 
“He seems like a nice boy. Respectful.” Hyun Ae’s mother said.
 
“Thank you your majesty.” Changmin bowed again.
 
“I’ll let her out without guards tonight because you come from a good family. Just bring her home by midnight.”
 
“Of course your majesty. I’ll have her home by eleven. Your majesty.”
 
-----
 
“Sorry about that. I was planning to ask for permission then leave, but my parents wanted to meet you.” Hyun Ae said once she and Changmin were inside his Porsche.
 
“It’s fine, I’d have to meet them someday, right? You look pretty by the way.”
 
“Thanks.” Hyun Ae was blushing for the nth time that day.