Chapter 1: The Coronation

Step By Step

 

“We are here, live, at the historic Gyeongbok Palace, where the coronation ceremony of South Korea’s new royal family is about to take place. In a matter of hours, we will witness this ancient custom for the first time in centuries...”
 
“I’m sorry your majesty but you really must start preparing now, it will take us several hours to arrive at the Palace.”
 
“Oh, yes yes I’m sorry I was just carried away.” Park Jung Hwan, or rather, His Majesty, began preparing for the even that would not only change his life, but his family’s life as well.
 
-----
 
“Omma! Don’t I look pretty?” Hyun Ae showed off her new gold and pink Hanbok, tailor-made for the coronation ceremony.
 
“Of course you do, dear. Now there’s something you have to remember -- once the four of us are crowned today, our lives will never be the same again. At this point it may seem like we’re living in the lap of luxury, which we are, but being royalty isn’t just about living in a palace with hundreds of servants. It will be very lonely, and nothing like the movies, but promise me you’ll stay strong, for yourself and for your father. Okay?”
 
“Yes, mother. And it’s not like any of us have any idea of what’s going to happen anyway.” Hyun Ae replied, reassuring her mother.
 
“Good. I’ll go check on your father, go see what Yoochun is doing.”
 
-----
 
“Oppa? Are you decent?” Hyun Ae knocked on the door to her brother’s new royal suite.
 
“Yeah!” A muffled sound came from behind.
 
Two servants opened the double doors and Hyun Ae stepped in.
 
“Mom wants me to check on you. Are you nervous?”
 
“As long as I don’t think about it, I’m fine.” Yoochun answered, fiddling with his hat.
 
“But oppa, you can’t not think about it.”
 
“I’ll deal with it when the time comes, okay? Now give your brother a hug and let’s go see father.” Yoochun stretched out his arms and motioned for Hyun Ae to step closer.
 
“Remind me again why I’m siblings with such a touchy-feely brother?” Hyun Ae joked, but hugged Yoochun anyway.
 
“Because I’m Park Yoochun, I just rock like that.”
 
Hyun Ae just scoffed and smiled, making her way out of the room, with Yoochun following.
 
-----
 
“Okay, this is it, kids. We’ll all take this one at a time, okay?” Jung Hwan said, clasping his wife’s hand as she was about to speak, while looking towards his two children.
 
“And together. Any problems we have, we’ll get through them together.”
 
The door of the royal limousine opened and hundreds of flashes went off in an attempt to document every moment.
 
The King and Queen were the first to step out, followed by Yoochun and Hyun Ae. Escorted by the new royal guards and the armed forces, the four made their way from the main gate, all the way to the throne hall where the ceremony itself was to take place. 
 
Press were only allowed up to several kilometers before the throne hall, and civilians even further. The only people allowed in the throne hall were the royal guards, members of parliament, and the new royal family.
 
-----
 
“His Majesty The King, Her Majesty the Queen. His Royal Highness the Crown Prince and Her Royal Highness Princess Hyun Ae.”
 
The royal guard announced the new royal family to the public, and the four, the king and queen leading, made their first appearance as royals. A banquet was also to be held later that evening in celebration, with the country’s top politicians and businessmen in attendance.
 
The royal family were to be introduced to society, and, at the back of everyone's minds, it was also a chance to find a future husband and future wife for Hyun Ae and Yoochun.
 
-----
 
“Aaaah!” Shocked by the collision, Hyun Ae let out a small squeal. She and the rest of her family have changed out of their traditional attire, and in to black-tie attire.
 
“Oh! I’m so sorry, are you alright, miss?” The mystery guy said, looking at the floor before he managed to get a glimpse of Hyun Ae. Once he realized who Hyun Ae was, he stepped back and gave her a low bow, which Hyun Ae returned.
 
“Please, your highness, don’t bow back.”
 
“Oh, I’m sorry, I’m just not used to everyone bowing to me.” Hyun Ae said, slightly blushing.
 
“I think now would be the perfect time to start, your highness. Allow me to introduce myself, I’m Kim Jaejoong.” Jaejoong flashed a smile, which caused Hyun Ae to blush again.
 
“Nice to meet you, Jaejoong. Are you a member of parliament? You’re quite young though. Is your dad in parliament?” Hyun Ae asked, trying to make small-talk with Jaejoong.
 
“You can say that, yes.”
 
Before Hyun Ae could pry and further, Siwon, her personal bodyguard, walked towards the two.
 
“Your highness I’m afraid you are needed with your brother for a photo-op.” He said, ready to lead Hyun Ae to where Yoochun was.
 
“Oh, okay. It was nice meeting you, Jaejoong! Will I see you again?” Hyun Ae asked as Siwon was gently carting her away.
 
“Maybe.” Jaejoong smiled to himself.
 
-----
 
“Thank God the madness is over. I think I over-smiled at the banquet, does my face look whacked out?” Yoochun asked as he and Hyun Ae made their way to their suites.
 
“You look fine, oppa. And I’m glad it’s over too. We don’t have anything to do tomorrow, right? I can sleep in.”
 
“I guess so. Good night, Hyun.” Yoochun smiled.
 
“Good night, oppa.”
 
-----
 
Phew. First chapter done. Please don't hesitate to point out any flaws and criticisms you may have for my writing. Like I said, I really want to learn how to be a good fiction writer, and this is how I'm going to do it. I look forward to reading your comments! ^_^