Chapter 5: New Conflicts

Step By Step

 

A few days later… 
 
“… and that is why I believe sustainability should be our society’s main concern, corporations included.” Hyun Ae beamed as she closed her notes and bowed. She had asked all her new friends to help her ‘test drive’ her first speech as a princess before the event itself.
 
“Looks like private time with Changmin really helped, didn’t it?” Yunho told Hyun Ae, who didn’t catch the double meaning of his statement.
 
“HYUNG!”
 
“So when are you supposed to this speech?” Taeyeon asked, getting Yunho’s hint and Changmin’s discomfort.
 
“Day after tomorrow. I’m so nervous! Why do I even have to give speeches in the first place?”
 
------
 
“That was an outstanding speech, your Highness.” A female minister complimented Hyun Ae, who smiled in return. Her first ever speech was done, and it went better than she thought it would go. Dressed in a flowy, peach chiffon gown, diamond-studded stilettos, and a diamond necklace that felt like it would break her neck, she was continuously interrupted by officials and important people who wanted to compliment her. 
 
“Was it? I was worried that it would be too personal for such a formal event.”
 
“Nonsense. It’s definitely better than majority of these old geezers and their stiff speeches.” The minister said, before excusing herself.
 
“You seem to like being alone, don’t you, your highness?” Jaejoong said, approaching Hyun Ae.
 
“Well, you seem to pop up whenever I’m alone, don’t you, Jaejoong?” Hyun Ae retorted with a sly smile.
 
“Touché, your highness.”
 
Hyun Ae frowned, “Still calling me your highness?”
 
“Still calling me Jaejoong?” Jaejoong winked.
 
“Touché, oppa.” Hyun Ae said, putting emphasis on the 'oppa'.
 
“Are you hungry? I don’t think you’d enjoy talking to all these old businessmen.”
 
“In fact, I am. But what are you doing here in the first place? Isn’t this a business summit?” Hyun Ae asked as they looked for a table.
 
“For some strange reason my dad thinks that being prime minister is like being a chaebol, so he wants to ‘train’ me. Which is pretty stupid, since he can’t just pass the position on to me.”
 
Do you want to be prime minister?”
 
“I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not. It’s a little too early for me to be thinking about that, but I know I want to be in parliament.”
 
------
 
“Your highness, wake up. It’s time for school.” Hyori said, gently shaking Hyun Ae, who grumbled as she got out of bed.
 
“I’ll leave these here your highness, I think you might want to take a look at them.” Hyori said, setting a few newspapers on the coffee table across Hyun Ae’s bed. “I already had the maids prepare your clothes.”
 
“Thanks unnie. I’ll go take a shower and read whatever those are.” A sleepy Hyun Ae said, dragging herself to the shower.
 
When she was all dressed, Hyun Ae decided to look at the papers Hyori left, and was shocked at the headlines.
 
“Prime Minister’s son romances Princess Hyun Ae at banquet”
 
“A new royal couple in the making?”
 
Along with the articles were pictures of Jaejoong and her, with his hand around her waist, them laughing, and sitting down together. 
 
“They think we’re an item? Is today a slow news day or something?”
 
------
 
“I swear Changmin, one more evil look at Jaejoong-hyung and I’m going to punch you. What’s up with you today? On normal days you practically idolize him.” Junsu said as he and Changmin changed into their polo uniforms. Once a week the four of them, now five with the addition of Yoochun, would play ‘friendly’ polo matches with Seoul International School.
 
“If I told you you’d laugh at me for being pathetic.” Changmin shrugged.
 
“Glaring at hyung is pathetic enough, Min, I doubt anything else can top that.”
 
“I like Hyun Ae okay! And I hate how Jaejoong’s so close to her and how much he likes her. All I am is her tutor. Have you seen the paper today? Everyone’s swooning over how good they looked at that business summit the other day. Hyun Ae would’ve been a total mess at that if it wasn’t for me!” Changmin exploded, shocking Junsu.
 
“Wait, what?!” Junsu said before earning a glare from Changmin.
 
“Okay, okay. Sit down for a bit and explain this to me carefully. You like Hyun Ae, yes?”
 
“But she’s an actual princess so I don’t know how that’s ever going to work out. Do I have to be in the government or something to marry her I mean I can probably take over dad’s position but is that legitimate enough for her and what’s going to happen wh…”
 
“Carefully, okay Min? So you like Hyun Ae, that’s pretty obvious now. Do you know for sure hyung likes Hyun Ae? What if he just wants to be friends?”
 
“SEE! This is why I don’t like talking to you about things like this, you always jump to defend hyung. Have you seen the way he looks at her? Have you seen the pictures? He totally used his sleazy wink on her! Tell me, has he ever used that on BoA noona or Tiffany? And why are they always alone with each other? I’ve seen them together more than I’ve seen Hyun Ae and Yoochun alone.”
 
Junsu just shook his head in frustration and shock at his friend’s outburst. “Come on, let’s get out of here. Maybe you’ll feel better after we crush Seoul International.”
 
“Oh please, we all know they’re only Munhwa rejects. I don’t get why we have to keep playing with them.”
 
“Aaaand you’re back to your old self.” Junsu grinned as he and Changmin got their bags and headed to the field.
 
------
 
“Well, that was a relatively painless match.” Jaejoong said as the five of them all cooled down after beating Seoul International School.
 
“So hyung, what’s going on between you and Hyun Ae? You two are all over the papers this morning.” Junsu said, looking at Changmin while he opened the conversation, and earning a growl in the process.
 
“We are? For what? You guys know I hardly have time to read papers in the morning.” Jaejoong said.
 
“They had pictures of you being especially close to my sister at the event the other night.” Yoochun teased.
 
“Oh.” Jaejoong turned quiet, focusing on looking for his car keys.
 
“That definitely meant guilt. Are you hiding something from us?” Yunho prodded.
 
Junsu looked towards Changmin again, who was trying hard not to explode in front of everyone.
 
“I don’t know, it’s just, remember when my dad was talking about getting married early? Hyun Ae’s probably the only girl he’d approve of, aside from the girls, who I see as sisters. It would be totally gross to marry any of them. Hyun Ae’s nice, and right now I just want to be friends with her, but if things go well, yeah, I might end up liking her. Who knows.” Jaejoong said, finally confiding in his friends.
 
The next thing they knew, Changmin turned around and ran.

------
 
Pseudo-cliffhanger. Although the next chapter might take another few months. D: