Yongseo Short Stories - Fine (Part 3)

YongSeo Short Stories (Previously Yongseo on 3,500 words.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One year later……

“You look fine.” Yonghwa looks at Seohyun before going back to reading the biography of Nelson Mandela on his laptop.  He was lying down on her bed in her room.

“Did you even look at me?” Seohyun was exasperated.  She spent a long time dressing up to meet his parents for dinner.

Yonghwa sighs and closes his laptop. He stands and walks to her, leveling his face to hers. “You look fine Seo Joohyun. You will always look fine – to me.”

“Oppa! I mean do I look alright? I want to make a good impression on your parents.” Seohyun takes another look at herself in the mirror.  The floral dress was very spring like and her shoes were just the right height.

“Seohyunah – we’ve been seeing each other’s’ parents for a year now and you’re still that way.  Omma will probably gush over you again and say how pretty you look and Appa will agree.” Yonghwa goes back to sitting on her bed.

“At least they notice how I look.” She murmurs. She picks up the bag that was his mother’s latest gift to her. “I’m ready.”

They step out of Seohyun’s room. They were alone in the house – her parents were back in the Jeolla-do province for a relative’s birthday.  They trusted Yonghwa enough to let him come to their house while they were away. Seohyun looks at him as he checks all the windows, the lights and the gas. He smiles as he takes her hand and they step out of the unit.

“I liked the selfie yesterday.” He tells her as they were waiting for the elevator. It was picture of her blowing him a kiss while holding an empty basket.

She smiles and nods.  Seohyun was a member of the school council and one of her projects was the sale of handmade bracelets whose proceeds would go to funding a soup kitchen. She’d taken a picture of the bracelets that Yonghwa, Jonghyun, Minhyuk and Jungshin made.  They weren’t very enthusiastic participants at first but since Seohyun had pleaded so nicely they didn’t have a choice.

“It was a very clever marketing strategy to put the creator’s name on each of the baskets. My hands are still sore from making the bracelets. “He holds up his hand that was holding her own.

“Hmm…you just had to boast that the bracelets you made sold out first. You were very amply rewarded for your effort.” Seohyun pouts as she looks at him. “I spent more on you and your doongsaengs than the cost of the materials to make the bracelets!”

 She had taken the 4 guys out for dinner together with Yoona and also took her boyfriend out on a date where she paid for dinner and the movie.

“Are you complaining now Seo Joohyun?” He raises an eyebrow at her as he opens the car door for her.

“Deh majayo I am complaining.” She nods her head. “I had to put up with women who would come by and continuously ask if the bracelets were really made by the 4 of you. Yoona Unnie was a genius to think of taking pictures of the 4 of you holding your respective baskets. Did you know Hyoyeon Unnie had an argument with one of the women because she wanted to buy the pictures?”

“Why didn’t you? It would mean more money.” Yonghwa looks at her. He kept his voice neutral but enjoyed watching the gradual change of her cheeks from pale to pink.

“You’d really be comfortable with a stranger having your picture?” She gives him an irritated glance. “Yoona Unnie took Jongie Oppa’s picture as soon as Hyoyoen Unnie’s argument with the customer started.”

Yonghwa smiles mischievously and keeps on driving.  Tiffany told him that Seohyun had coolly taken his picture from the customer’s hand and said that her Oppa’s picture was not for sale. She also got Minhyuk and Jungshin’s pictures – thanking the woman for buying the bracelets.

She gives another irritated glance at him before looking out the window.  She knew he was teasing her but she couldn’t help but react. It was bad enough having the most popular guy in campus as a boyfriend but she was getting tired from the comments from his female admirers.

Yonghwa senses her irritation. He liked teasing Seohyun – he was fascinated by the pale skin turning to a pretty shade of pink and how her normally pale and composed features would register emotions. She was cute – adorably so – in his eyes.

Today she looked good enough to eat. The dress was lovely on her – he picked it out himself when they went shopping.  Her hair fell back in waves across her back, her makeup was minimum and she smelled of the perfume that he picked out for her for their one year anniversary – J’adore.

“Oppa! What a lovely scent! J’adore.” She smiles and tiptoes to kiss him. She sprays a little on her wrists and smells it. “Why did you choose this?”

“Because that’s the way I feel about you – j’adore – I adore you Seo Joohyun.”

He smiles as he remembers her face lighting up. And softness of her lips on his as she whispers thank you.

“Is something funny?”

“No – I was remembering something.” Yonghwa reaches over to tug one of her curls. “Still mad at me?”

She nods. Yonghwa laughs, once again charmed by her honesty and kisses her hand.

They have a lovely dinner with his parents.  Seohyun and his mother got along well. They talked about fashion, makeup, the latest dramas – all the feminine conversations as the men watched them.

“Seohyun looks very pretty today.” Yonghwa’s father looks at his son. “You’re a lucky man son.”

“Yes, I know I am – I just hope she’ll be mine forever.” Yonghwa pours his father another glass of beer.

“Son, you’re graduating soon and leaving for the army – 2 years will pass quickly. She doesn’t look like the type who’ll break up with you because you’ll be in the military besides she’ll be busy finishing university that same time.”

“Yes but she has a lot of admirers Appa.” Yonghwa pours himself a glass of beer, studiously avoiding Seohyun’s eyes. She didn’t like him consuming too much alcohol.

“Soehyun is a very fine young woman. Lots of men can see that but what’s important is that you’re the only one she sees.” His father claps Yonghwa’s shoulder.

His graduation week….

“Unnie – I think Oppa’s tired of me.” Seohyun sighs as she takes a sip of her yogurt smoothie. She and Yoona were on break. It was a Saturday night and the café # 1 was full. Yoona was acting manager that night. 

“Why do you say that?” Yoona takes half of the sandwich they were sharing.

“Everything I wear – he’s says I look fine. Skirts, jeans, shorts – I look fine. We went to Dara Unnie’s house for a party – everyone was dressed well but I was in just a plain black dress and heels because he said I looked fine.  I asked him if I should cut my hair – he said whatever length would look fine on me. I know he’s distracted studying for finals and all but –“

“Ah my sweet Unnie is looking for compliments from her boyfriend.” Yoona looks at her.

“Well, deh. I always make an effort look my best when I’m with him. He looks at me and tells me I look fine – just that - fine. Nothing else.” Seohyun forces herself to have the half sandwich – she wasn’t hungry.

“Yah I’ll finish the sandwich if you don’t want it.” Yoona exclaims. “But seriously Unnie – Jongie Oppa is the same - even worst! When I asked him if I gained weight he just looked at me and said I shouldn’t worry about things like that.”

“What did you do Unnie?” Seohyun asks.

“I threw a tantrum of course! I cried. I told him he didn’t love me anymore.” Yoona finished her sandwich and starts on Seohyun’s sandwich.

“That’s a bit extreme Unnie. Jongie Oppa doesn’t look the type that gives in to tantrums.”

“What? He just looks strict but he’s very soft hearted. He said he was sorry but he said he loves me for me and weight didn’t have anything to do with it.”

“That’s was awfully sweet.” Seohyun comments. “Yong Oppa is a lot like that.”

“Is he sweet to you?”

“Well he is – very sweet, thoughtful, everything I could ever want in a boyfriend. But he just keeps saying I’m fine. And I’m getting tired of it.”

“How does he say it?”

“He just looks at me and tells me I’m fine.  Usually he kisses me after he says that.”

“That’s sweet.”

Seohyun rolls her eyes.

“Do you think they’ll get really drunk tonight?” Yoona asks as they were closing the cafe.

“I know they will. They’re seniors after all. We’ll just take a cab to Gi Young Oppa’s place to fetch them.”

“Are you confident you can drive?” Yoona looks at Seohyun.

“I have to be. Oppa is leaving me his car when he goes to enlist.” Seohyun replies.

Truth to tell she wasn’t that confident. Her Oppa had given up on teaching her how to drive because they often ended up quarrelling. It was actually Yonghwa’s father who was able to teach her how to drive.

When they get to Gi Young’s place what Seohyun said was true. Everyone was drunk. Dara, who opened the door for them was just tipsy.

“Unnie, I don’t see Oppa.” Seohyun looks around.

“He’s in the bathroom.”  Seungri, one of Gi Young’s friends tell her. “Do you want me to take you there? It’s upstairs.”

It was in the tip of her tongue to say no and that she was perfectly capable of climbing up the stairs and looking for the bathroom where her boyfriend was. But Seungri was already going up the stairs and calling her. She wasn’t comfortable with Seungri – while she was always polite with all of Oppa’s friends she made it a point to be distant. Especially with guys who were openly interested in her like Seungri was.

“Are you scared of me?” He looks at her as they were walking towards Gi Young’s room.

“No – I’m just worried about Oppa.” She looks at him.

They find Yonghwa sprawled out on the bed.

“Thank you. I’ll take care of him.” Seohyun smiles her thanks. Putting her satchel on the bed she hurries to the adjoining bathroom.

“Seohyunah –“Seungri follows her to the bathroom – blocking the door.

“Yes?” She glances up at him, seemingly busy with wetting a small towel.

“You know I like you right?”

“Yes, I know. And you’re drunk.” She stands in front of him. “Or else you wouldn’t be saying it to me while my boyfriend is right there.”

“Not as drunk as your boyfriend.” He looks over at Yonghwa.

“Your point?”

“Nothing.” He steps aside but makes sure that there was barely enough room for her to pass. He notices that she makes an effort to not have any part of her body touch him while she passed.

Seohyun wipes Yonghwa’s face with a cold towel. “Oppa wake up – let’s go home.”

Yonghwa opens his eyes. He was drunk – trust Dara to make him drink as many bombs as he can. “Seohyunah…you came.”

“Of course! Who else would bring you home? “ She continues to wipe his face. She takes a water bottle from her satchel and helps him up. Her hand gently pats his back and she held the towel under his chin so that no water would spill on him. Turning to Seungri, she asks. “Why are you still here?”

“I was on my way out.” He takes a long look at her before leaving the room.

When Yonghwa said he felt better, they told everyone that they were leaving.  Yoona and Jonghyun had left even earlier. Seohyun had her arm around Yonghwa’s waist as they walked towards his car. She opens the car door and helps him buckle up. He gives her a kiss on her cheek, thanking her again for taking him home. She drove carefully – Sooyoung Unnie said speed always made drunk people vomit – she didn’t want any accidents like that. Since she knew that passwords for the gate and the house, they were able to Yonghwa’s room without disturbing his parents.

His weight was heavy but she manages to put him on the bed. She goes to his bathroom and gets a towel. Any moment now she was certain that he would make run for the toilet bowl. He got up after 10 minutes and barely made it to the bathroom. She pats his back as he was heaving the contents of his stomach into the toilet. 

“It was useless to tell you not to drink too much.” Seohyun murmurs. “Sometimes I wonder if you love Dara Unnie more than you love me – you can’t ever refuse her.”

He turns to look at her. “Dara is crazy and a childhood friend.” He accepts his toothbrush and haphazardly brushes his teeth. When finishes he leans and gives her a kiss. “I love you Seo Joohyun.”

“Ara.” She sighs. “Come, change so you’ll sleep more comfortably.” She leads him to the bed and helps him change his shirt and pants.

When she covers him with a duvet he insists that she stay with him. Even if Seohyun tries to remove her hand he wouldn’t let go. Accepting the inevitable she sits on the floor and leans her head on the bed.

She woke up to Yonghwa’s mother gently shaking her. “Seohyunah – wake up!”

“Oh, I fell asleep.” Seohyun stands up and faces Yonghwa’s mother. “Mianeyo Ommoni.”

“Why are you apologizing Seohyunah? Palli wash up and eat breakfast. I’ll tell your Abeonim to call your parents to apologize for this child.”

His parents insist that Seohyun take the car since it was too early in the morning. Her mother greets her inquiries about Yonghwa.

“He’s sleeping Omma. Honestly I can’t understand all these parties they’ve been going to – all the drinking.” Seohyun yawns. “Ah I think I have a sore neck from sleeping on the floor next to his bed.”

“Shh…don’t let your Appa hear that. Anyway – I think all men are like that – before we got married your Appa had a lot of gatherings like that too. I almost didn’t marry him because I was so cross. But that’s what a loving woman does for her namja.”

Seohyun rolls her eyes and sighs. “I’m sleeping now Omma. Oppa’s graduation ceremony is at 6 so I’ll just sleep first – no need for lunch I’m still full with the breakfast that Ommoni made for me.”

Seohyun woke up at 4 to someone kissing her face. She swats it away – thinking it was just one of the many stuffed toys her Oppa had given her. But the kissing continued so she forces her eyelids to open.

“Oppa!” She tries to focus on the face of her smiling boyfriend. “What are you doing here? Its’ your graduation!”

“Picking you up.” He fixes her hair and gives her a kiss.

“You mean picking the car up.” She resists the urge to yawn. “Mian – Ommoni said I should bring it home.”

“She was right. They’ll take the Mercedes to the ceremony. I’m just going to be waiting for you to finish dressing up then we’ll go. So stand up and start dressing.” He stands up and holds out her bathrobe. “I’ll be outside with Abeonim watching the sports channel.”

Her mother helps Seohyun dress up. They carefully set her hair in soft waves and she puts on the soft peach and tulle short dress.

“Omma the shoes are so high – what was Tiffany Unnie thinking of when she said I could walk in this?” Seohyun hold her mother’s hand as she steps into the toned high heel shoes.

“Did you practice like I told you to?” Her mother asks.

Seohyun shakes her head. “Aniyo – I didn’t have the time.”

Her mother clucks her tongue and shakes her head.” Well try to be careful. Tiffany will be there anyway.”

“Omma! She graduating just like Oppa – she has no time to teach me about walking on skyscrap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter