Yongseo Short Stories - Fine (Part 2)

YongSeo Short Stories (Previously Yongseo on 3,500 words.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Have you seen a dream walking?” A young guy obviously a freshman asks his companion.

“No why?” The other guy looks at his friend.  They were both on lollipops.

“Okay let’s stand here – in the next 5 minutes – you’ll see.” He winks at his friend.

They look at the walkway and watch a young woman walk out of the School of Business.  She was wearing tight white jeans, a white tee, a long gray cardigan and a soft red scarf artfully tied around her neck. She was in sneakers and walking very fast while looking at her watch. The long brown wavy hair trailed behind her like a veil.

“Who is that?”  The other guy asks.

“That my dear friend is Seo Joohyun. Possibly one of the prettiest transfer students I’ve ever seen.” Zico’s eye smile was infectious. “She also does waitressing at the Café Blue – I have her scheduled days. You should go with us!”

“Are you going to introduce yourself?”

“Not yet. I’m a freshman – she’s 2nd year. Maybe as friends first what do you think?”

“I think that’s a good idea.” A voice behind the 2 guys said.

“Sunbae!” Zico and PO bow to Yonghwa.

“The just friends’ idea is good beyond that is bad.” He tells them.

The 2 younger men look at Yonghwa.  He was the top student in Business School and was their Sunbae in the basketball varsity team.

“Oppa!” They look to see the dream walking towards them. She had a radiant smile on her face and her cheeks had just a touch of pink. “I’m sorry I was late – the lecture went over time by 10 minutes.”

Yonghwa smiles – he could appreciate what the 2 younger men were saying. Seohyun was a dream walking – she looked so fresh and lovely – even in the simplest clothes.  “I came just now.”

The 2 guys look expectantly at Yonghwa.  He knew they wanted an introduction.  Half of his mind argued that he didn’t want to because that would mean that his oh so polite girlfriend would say hello to them each time she saw them but the other half of his mind reasoned that the more people knew that Seohyun was his girl the better it would be – less guys coming up to her and introducing themselves which irritated him a lot.

“Seohyun – meet 2 of our rookie varsity players Zico and PO “Yonghwa made the introductions.

“Annyeong hasayo” Seohyun smiles and gives them a nod.

“You’re the transferee student right?” Zico asks. “I saw you when you registered here – you were with Yoona Noona.”

“Ah deh.” Seohyun smiles and tucks a stray strand of hair behind her ears. A very feminine gesture that made most guys - even her boyfriend - blink.

Again, Yonghwa had to smile.  By now he knew that Seohyun was shy and the gesture of tucking her hair behind her ear was because of that.

“So since I’ve introduced you both – Seohyun and I will be going.” Yonghwa looks at the two guys.  Their eyes were riveted to Seohyun’s hand that was holding on to the end of Yonghwa’s shirt.

Another endearing gesture – his girlfriend always held on to the end of his shirt or the cuff of his sleeve. It meant that she wanted him to hold her hand. He takes her hand in his and starts to walk.

Seohyun makes a small bow. “It was nice to meet you both.” Her smile was once again gracious and sweet.

They watch as she raises her face and smiles at Yonghwa as they walked down the path towards the parking lot. They see him smile in return – letting go of her hand and putting his arm on her shoulder. The wind carried her bell like laughter to the two younger men.

“Wah! She’s Sunbae’s girlfriend!” The 2 look at each other. They both heard the rumors – that Yonghwa was courting someone. The female students were all a buzz about it – speculating on just who had managed to capture Jung Yonghwa’s attention. He was always the one being confessed to and given gifts during Valentine’s Day. He was picky with girls that he talked to and was known to be cold and aloof to girls who threw themselves at him.

“Ah – you have 2 admirers again Seohyun-nah.” Yonghwa opens the car door for his girlfriend.

“They’re your friends Oppa.” She smiles her thanks for his gentlemanly gesture. She was still smiling when he puts her seatbelt on. His cologne reminding her of the night that he confessed.

3 months ago…..

“But he’s interested!” Hyoyeon looks up as Seohyun puts down her plate of French fries.

“Unnie! I’m working!” Seohyun whispers. “And he’s here.”

“So?” Sunny grabs a fry earning her a scowl from Hyoyeon. “It’s clear that he’s here because you are.”

Seohyun shakes her head and feels her face become warm. She had been steadfastly avoiding looking at where Yonghwa was seated. He was studying and had his laptop open. Naeun had just given him a cup of coffee because he insisted. That meant that no one was to disturb him until closing.  His sandwich was still uneaten since Hyeri gave it to him an hour ago and he was oblivious to her dagger like glances.

“Annyeong Unnies!” Hyeri greeted Hyoyeon, Sunny, Sooyoung and Yuri. “Everything good? Uri Seohyun is now an expert waitress.”

“She still doesn’t get a tip.” Yuri bites into her sandwich. “Because she’s Maknae.”

“What with your Boss?” Sooyoung asks. “He’s hitting the books hard. Again.”

“Grade point average – what else?” Hyeri sighs. “He’s driven. I’m giving him 30 more minutes before I get on his case about missing a meal. Again!”

“Again?” Seohyun asks.

“Ah because you were in café #2 the last 2 days. Well – he has – 2 nights in a row – I threw the sandwiches out to the compost bin. Drinking coffee too – it’s bad for him!” Hyeri was like a mother hen around Yonghwa. She would always be grateful for this job and all the help he gave to her in studying Economics. He’d given her a higher salary than the others because she was helping her family.

“Excuse me Unnies.”  Seohyun tells the others.

She knew that they were looking at her as she approaches Yonghwa’s table.  She was being forward with what she was going to do and she felt nervous – Yonghwa was still her Manager and the café’s owner. And he didn’t like forward girls.

“Uhm – Oppa.” She stands in front of him with her serving tray against her chest.

“Uhm – what?” He doesn’t look up from the lap top.

Seohyun puts the plate closer to him. “Oppa.”

He sighs and looks up. He was wearing his glasses which made him even handsomer in her eyes. “Seohyun-nah wae?” His tone was mild which made her heart slow down.

“You should eat Oppa.” She looks at him. “Please.”

“Did Hyeri tell you to bother me?” He takes a deep breath – sometimes being around too many females made him have too many mothers and sisters.

“She told me that you’ve missed meals the last 2 days.” She puts her tray down and sits in the chair in front of him. “Please eat.”

He looks at the sandwich then at her. “I’ll eat it.” But he didn’t make a move to touch it.

Seohyun’s mouth suddenly dries up and she swallows. “How about eating it now? Please.”

He looks at her again and while still holding her gaze takes a bite out of the sandwich. He puts the sandwich back and chews. He swallows and takes a sip of the coffee. “Satisfied?”

“Coffee isn’t really good for you Manager. You have an ulcer.” Seohyun looks at him again. “How about I get you a yogurt smoothie instead?”

She feels her face get warm when he takes his glasses off and puts his elbows on the table. “Are you worried about me Seo Joohyun?”

Seohyun stands up and murmurs that she needed to check on the customers.

She waits on 2 more tables and didn’t check on him.  Her unnies left and she cleaned their table – letting herself smile a bit when the she gets their payment and another hefty tip from Yuri Unnie. When she brings the used plates and glasses, Naeun hands her the yogurt smoothie. The younger girl turns her head – signaling that Seohyun should take it to Yonghwa.

“Here you go Manager. Naeun made it herself.” Seohyun clears books in front of Yonghwa and puts the smoothie. She glances at the plate – he finished the sandwich. “I’ll take the plate.”

“Thank you Seohyun-nah.” He looks at her briefly before looking at the lap top again.

Clearly she was dismissed but Seohyun reaches out and takes the cup of coffee away. She didn’t look back but quickly dumps the coffee in the sink and the cup in the wash bins. For the rest of her shift she didn’t even dare look at Yonghwa even if Naeun and Hyeri both gave her thumbs up signs for throwing the coffee away.

Soon it was time to go home.  She started earlier than the others so she was fixing her things when she gets a text.

Can you wait for me Seohyun?

She stares at the text from Yonghwa.  He had been incredibly sweet especially when they weren’t working in the cafe. Somehow someway he was always where she was. In the library – he helped her carry some books, on the way to classes and after classes – he was there, in the café – he helped her when the trays were just not manageable enough for her. He drove her home – despite of her protests-he always went all the way up to her door.

He was thoughtful – he texted her good night every night whether or not they saw each other during the day. It was the same in the morning – he would always wish her a good day.

He helped her with her school work. In the café, whenever she had to study between breaks he would always stop and ask her if she needed help.  Even when he was in another branch and she was in another branch – he would call or text and ask about her school work.

He didn’t do the all-out broadcast that he was courting her. She was a private person and the way he was doing his courtship was just the way she wanted to be courted. Lately she’d been going around with a silly smile on her face because of him.

Deh Oppa.

She closes her mobile and brings out her laptop. Walking back to the café she sits down and starts to review her notes. Yonghwa was at the till with Hyeri while Naeun was closing up.

Being the helpful person that she was Seohyun helps Naeun clean up even if the younger girl tells her not to because she was already off.  In a little while, Taemin, Naeun’s boyfriend since high school came and he helped them close up.

On the way to his car, Yonghwa and Seohyun were silent.  She was getting nervous, since he seemed very preoccupied.

“Oppa – I’m sorry if you thought I was too forward about the sandwich and the coffee.” She tucks her hair behind her ear.

“You never answered me – I was asking if you were worried about me.  Will you answer now?” He opens the car door for her.

Seohyun looks up and sighs. It was really no use hiding what she felt – she really likes him a lot.  If she answered his question it was like confessing to him first. Then he would be the first man she ever confessed to. Would she dare be a forward girl?

“Deh Oppa I was worried about you.” She replies honestly.

He nods and helps her sit down. He leans and buckles her seatbelt.  He was so near that Seohyun had to close her eyes as the scent of his cologne filled her nostrils.

Before he closes the passenger door he looks at her – their faces so close that all he had to do was to lean a bit more and he could kiss her. But he just smiles at Seohyun.

The drive was again silent and Seohyun was distracted so she didn’t even notice that they were going in another direction until he stops the car and tells her to wait a bit. A few minutes later he comes back and gives her a huge bouquet of pink roses.

Her face blushes as pink as the roses and she leans to smell their perfume. He looks at her and smiles.

“Nomo nomo jowayo Seo Joohyun.”He takes the bouquet from her puts it in the back of the car then holds both her hands. “Ajumanhi. I know I should have taken you out on a date and told you over dinner but I’m so busy with school and –“

“I like you too Oppa. Ajumanhi.” She cuts him off – her heart was hammering. “If you hadn’t confessed today I would have confessed to you first.” Her hands hold on to him.

He laughs and holds her cheek. “Really?”

She nods. “I know you don’t like forward girls so I was really hesitant –“

“You would have confessed first?” His eyes were twinkling.

“Deh.”

“Have you ever confessed to anyone?” He asks.

She shakes her head.

“So what made you brave enough?” He was clearly enjoying her discomfort.

“Because you – because you –“She stammers. “You were taking too long.”

His laughter fills the car as he leans and embraces her. “Ah Seohyunah you continually surprise me.”

She leans her head on his shoulder and relaxes in his arms.  She feels his lips on her temple and smiles.

“Earth to Seohyunah.” Yonghwa kisses her nose. “I was asking what movie you wanted to watch.”

“Ah Oppa – I want us to just take a walk in the park and eat together. We’ll be so busy in the café tonight so I wanted to just spend time alone with you.” Seohyun smiles and gives him a kiss on the cheek before he straightens up and closes her door.

“Bright girl.” He looks at her as he starts the car.

Their walk and the meal that they shared together was very satisfying for both of them.  Both were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter