Yongseo Stories - The Courtship of Yoon Hwa's Father - PART 4

YongSeo Short Stories (Previously Yongseo on 3,500 words.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Appa! You’re awake!” Yoon Hwa runs to her father.

“Your breakfast is ready, Sir.” Ahjumma calls out from the kitchen.

Yonghwa sits down and eats breakfast. He really didn’t have an appetite but he knew that Ahjumma’s mouth would set into a disapproving line if he misses breakfast.

“Samonim left early today.” Ahjumma casually mentions it as she puts down his cup of coffee. “She has an initial meeting of some sort. She was in a hurry.”

“Did she eat anything?”

“Omma had her drink.” Yoon Hwa tells her father. “Appa – Omma said that Seo Halmoni and Seo Harabuji will take me out today. I am to wait for them here.”

“Where are you going with Harabuji and Halmoni?” Yonghwa asks. The last time his parents in law were here he and Joohyun had just divorced and they were hauling boxes of her things and Yoon Hwa’s in order to ship to London.

The little girl shakes her head. ”They said it was a surprise.”

“Samonim prepared everything for the little one’s use.” Ahjumma looks at her employer. He was definitely upset that his ex-wife left early. Joohyun looked preoccupied as well and definitely also in a hurry to leave.

“Appa finish your food. You always tell Yoon Hwa to finish her food.” The little girl looks at her father. “Are you sick?” She wiggles out of her chair and pulls at her father’s arm. A little hand goes to Yonghwa’s forehead. “You don’t have a fever. How’s your stomach?”

Ahjumma turns away with a smile on her face. Yoon Hwa was really precious.

Yonghwa felt his dark mood lighten. His eyes were already twinkling when he answers his little one. “I don’t have fever and my stomach is fine.”

“So you don’t have any excuse not to finish your breakfast. Am I right Ahjumma?” Yoon Hwa looks at her father’s longtime house keeper.

“As always Agassi.” The housekeeper nods. “Now how about we let Appa finish his breakfast? Ahjumma and Agassi will cook bukkumi so when Harabuji and Halmoni they can have tea and a snack.”

“Yey! Ahjumma is the best.” The little girl scrambles runs to hug the slim woman.

Yonghwa finishes his breakfast and calls out that he’s taking a shower.

When he enters the dressing room, he goes directly to the cabinet where he showed Joohyun her clothes the night before. He looks at the clothes again and belatedly realizes that he was holding his breath. Her clothes were still there but he notices that one of the dresses was gone. He goes to the laundry bin and finds the pajamas and the clothes Joohyun wore last night.

His heart beats faster. He took a very big chance in making love to her last night. He had been ready for her to refuse him like she did in the past.

Last year while he and Yoon Hwa were on vacation in Japan….

“Appa are you still busy with work? Do you still need to live away from Yoon Hwa and Omma?” A sleepy little voice nuzzling against his chest asks him.

“Why do you ask Aegyah?”

“Appa can you just come back to Yoon Hwa and Omma again?” Little eyes look up at him. The long lashes, the almond shaped eyes – Joohyun’s eyes.

“Why are you asking Yoon Hwayah?” He pulls her up and kisses the soft cheek.

“So that we can all be together. You will come home to us every day like my playmates’ dads.”

“What if Omma doesn’t want Appa to come back anymore?”

“Psh! That’s impossible!” The little face gives him a lopsided smile so like his own.

“Why is it impossible?”

“Because you’re Appa!” A small body gets on top on him and little fingers tap at his cheek. “It takes an Omma and an Appa to make an Aegyah - that’s me. So Omma loves Appa. So Omma wants Appa to come back us.”

He just had to laugh at his little girl’s logic.

But her logic stayed in his mind – for months.

Then he began to hope.

“Are you alright Hyunnie?” Her manager glances at Joohyun again.

“That’s the 3rd time Manager asked.” She looks at him. “I’m fine.”

“Well you don’t look fine.” He looks at the road again.

He was quite surprised when Joohyun told him to pick her up in the house so early in the morning. Her appointment was not until noon. When she got in the van she immediately explained that Yoon Hwa got so scared of the thunder and lightning last night. It was at the tip of his tongue to say that he didn’t ask for an explanation but one look at her pale distracted face made him keep his thoughts to himself.

Being her long-time manager he was witness to the ups and downs of Hyunnie’s relationship with Jung Yonghwa. They quarreled so much but they were also very sweet and loving with each other. Their divorce shocked everyone – it was such a drastic action. Most couples would try to fix things but they didn’t. It was such a shame – their boyfriend-girlfriend relationship was way longer than their married years.

Joohyun was restless. When she woke up that morning she sat for a long time looking at Yonghwa and Yoon Hwa. Her little girl was pressed against her father. His arm was draped over their little girl’s body. As she rushed to the bathroom to shower and dress what happened between them last night kept replaying in her mind.

The ardent kisses, the passionate love making, his sweetness and tenderness – it took her back to the heady days when they were just starting their relationship.

“Arasso – because it’s you.” He would lean and kiss her. Smiling tenderly and embracing her.

She heard this every time she wanted him to change some of the words or the melody he was composing. He would cook what she wanted even if he was tired. He would come home because that’s what she wanted even if his schedule got mixed up. He would say those words right after she apologized if she misunderstood him again.

He did a great many things for her after he said those words.

He would give in to what she wanted.

Because it was her.

Because he cared.

Because he loved her.

“Why did he have to say that last night?” She whispers as she looks out the window.

It echoed in her heart and mind. It made her restless and afraid.

Of having facing her feelings again.

Feelings that never really went away.

But he asked for a divorce and she just gave him what he wanted.

Or was it because he thought that was what she wanted?

Her mind was muddled and she taps the side of her head.

“Oh? Headache? You want me to get you medicine?” Her manager asks.

“I’m alright.”

When she attended her meeting she was all business. Smiling and greeting everyone.

“Seo Joohyun – you won’t regret this.” The director smiles at her.

“I won’t Gamdognim.” Joohyun smiles.

“Wah – a real live Tony awardee. Hyung! I’ll be scared to act with her.” Ji Hyun Woo looks at Kim Ji Hoon.

“Yah – she’s blushing!” Ahn Kil Kang tells the younger actors. “Don’t get embarrassed – they’re only joking!”

After 2 days she attends the press conference for the launch of “Good Thief Bad Thief” with her cast mates. Joohyun opted for the screen name of Seohyun.

She hadn’t seen Yonghwa since that night, he was in Jeju island filming and Yoon Hwa was in her unit. Both grandmothers took turns taking care of Yoon Hwa.

Then they both get a message from their mothers. The 3 pre-schools were accepting nursery students and the grandparents wanted Yoon Hwa to attend even just for 4 hours a day.

It would be good for her to play with other children. So choose which school you want – we already left the brochures in both houses. Then when you’ve decided you need to visit the school –TOGETHER –arasso? Take Yoon Hwa with you.

Both Yonghwa and Joohyun sigh when they get the message. They each had to tell their managers to coordinate on what day.

Joohyun got a call from Yonghwa 2 hours later.

“I can’t go home to look at the brochures.” He tells her.

Joohyun frowns at the mobile. Would it hurt to even say hello?

“You will have to choose and tell me the date of the visit then my manager can arrange for me to come back to Seoul on that day.”

There she was just days ago thinking he was sweet. She clears and replies in the same tone of voice that he used.

“Alright. I’ll text you the date and time.” She closes the phone.

Hmph! You’re not the only one that can be cold.

Yonghwa sighs as he closes his phone. As expected she got mad at him. He was undecided about how to handle the situation they were in right now. He was concerned that she would think he was taking advantage of her because of what happened that night. Just how warm should he be? Just how near did he want to be?

Closer.

He wanted to get closer to her. Make his way into her heart again. Every day he thought about her but he didn’t want to call or text her because she might take it the wrong way.

was in a quandary. He was so unsure if he still had a place in her life.

“Earth to Yong!” Yeon Hee waves her hand in front of her leading man. “San Maroo!”

“Ah! Yeh Noona?” Yonghwa looks at her.

“Gamdognim is calling us. Some change in the dialogue I think.” She looks up at him and smiles.

Jung Yonghwa was definitely handsome – he carried himself well, a professional, got to the set on time well prepared with his lines, no star complex. Even when they were in France she felt good about him. He always had a ready smile for his fans and gamely posed for pictures. His little girl was adorable – he was a proud father as he took her around to meet the crew and the actors. But Yeon Hee would sometimes catch that wistful look on his face especially when he was looking at his daughter. The little one was beautiful which wasn’t surprising because Seo Joohyun was beautiful.

“Have you got something on your mind San Maroo?” She asks him over lunch. “Your fans are great by the way.”

“Yes, they’re very supportive.” He smiles. Today Boice sent a lunch truck for the cast and crew.

“We’ll get spoiled.” Choi Woosik comes up and pats Yonghwa on the shoulder.

Yonghwa smiles but it would seem that he didn’t want to talk today. Yoon Hee could be invisible and he still wouldn’t notice.

“Yah – Noona is asking if you have something on your mind.” Yeon Hee taps her chopsticks on the table.

“Aniyo I wasn’t thinking of anything.”

“Alright keep telling Noona that.” Yeon Hee sighs. They finish the meal in silence.

In his hotel room that night Yonghwa debated with himself if he should call Joohyun. He wanted to explain his actions. Why he sounded that way he did.

You’re a coward Jung Yonghwa!

“Yes I am.” He lies down on his bed. Restless – he spent many nights restless especially after talking to his little girl.

He was on his way out to get a beer when his phone rings.

“Joohyunah.” He couldn’t keep up the pretense of being impersonal.

“Did I call at a bad time?” Joohyun looks at her watch. They were filming night scenes for the drama.

“No you didn’t.” He tells her.

There was silence.

“Yobosayo? Are you sleeping?”

“No I wasn’t. Er – is this about the school visit?”

“Yes it is. I’ve picked the Harmony School for Yoon Hwa. It’s the nearest one to the condo unit. They have a musical instruments program as well.”

“Alright since you think it’s the best I will go with that. So what day are we going then?”

“It would have to be a Friday for me – I don’t have any shooting scheduled then. How about you?”

“I have some scenes for the morning. How about we see each other in the afternoon at 4? I’ll leave right after my scenes.”

“Alright – we’ll wait for you in the condo.”

Silence.

“Yobosayo?”

“Have a good night Joohyunah.”

Joohyun had to gather her wits. Everything was calm and friendly then he just had to change his tone. His voice became warm and intimate.

“Er – have – have a good night yourself.” She closes the phone and pockets it.

They just celebrated their 200th day and she was happy that he was in Korea. They were in his car and parked just outside Seoul. He bought food and drinks much to her delight.

“Sorry we couldn’t go out on a proper date.” He tells her as he gives her a bouquet of pink roses.

“That’s alright Oppa we have to be careful. You look tired.”

After finishing his drama with Park Shin Hye he went to Japan to promote their new album. He was tired and for once he was happy that Joohyun didn’t ask any questions about his rumors with Park Shin Hye. It was so tiring to quarrel long distance.

Joohyun appreciated his efforts to be home to celebrate their anniversary. It was no mean feat seeing that he was busy. Looking at his face she decided to push away her insecurities. What was important was that they were together right now.

Stolen, precious time together as a couple. In the coming weeks they would each be promoting their respective groups’ new song.

“Have a good night sweetheart.” He looks at her just before he lowers his head to kiss her. It was almost curfew time in the SNSD dorm and Hyoyeon was waiting up for her.

Joohyun’s heart did somersaults and her hands clench. She was sure he could hear her heart beating fast.

“Love you Joohyunah.” He embraces her.

“Oppa.”

“Uhm.”

“Take care of yourself. Stop having drinking sessions. Regulate your coffee. Don’t stay up late. Eat well and on time. Call, text or post so I’ll know you’re alright. Did I miss anything?”

“I don’t think so.” He chuckles as he kisses her forehead.

“Do it for me.” She looks up at him.

“Arasso – because it’s you.” He smiles and gives her another kiss. “Now go. Your Unnie is waiting – my phone is vibrating. I’ll get a scolding.”

“Goodnight Oppa.” She hurries out of the car.

He was about to start the car when she comes back.

“Did you forget anything sweetheart?” He asks as she opens the door and sits next to him again. Her face was flushed and eyes were bright. She nods her head vigorously.

“What?”

“Oppa saranghe.” She pulls him to hug and gives him a swift kiss.

“Seo Joohyun you are the sweetest.” He holds her cheek. “Go – you need your beauty sleep.”

She laughs and gets out of the car. “Night!”

Friday afternoon….

“What is keeping him?” Joohyun glances at her watch again. True they still had 30 minutes before their meeting with the school’s director but she didn’t like being late.

She wanted to call him but she was hesitant. She didn’t want to sound like a nag. He knew they had to be somewhere. Yoon Hwa was getting restless – the little girl had asked for her father arrival several times already. He was the one who set the time and now they might be late. She was getting irritated but resisted calling him. She didn’t want to sound like a ….

Wife.

Joohyun sits up straighter.

I’m in the basement parking.

“Finally.” She mutters. “Yoon Hwa let us go Appa is downstairs.”

When she gets inside the SVU Yonghwa knew that Joohyun was pissed. He looks at his watch – they still had 15 minutes to spare. But knowing her, being punctual was like a religion for Joohyun – it was how she is.

“Sorry the traffic was really bad at the airport.” Yonghwa’s manager looks at Joohyun.

She just nods her head and looks out the window. Yonghwa sighs it was going to be one of those days.

Yoon Hwa looks at her parents – both were silent. The little girl was sure that her mother was angry at her father for being late. She was on her father’s lap and she leans on his chest. It wasn’t good for her Appa to be on her Omma’s bad side.

“Omma are you angry at Appa for being late?”

“No Aegyah why? Does Omma look angry to you?”

“Uhm.”

“Omma is just tired. I came home very late last night remember?”

“Uhm.”

“Are you excited to see your school Aegyah?”

“Uhm. Yoona Hwa would like many new playmates. I want to take pictures of my school and my new playmates and send them to Miss Liz so she’ll know I’m happy here.”

“We’ll do that little one.” Yonghwa gives her a kiss on the forehead.

The school’s directress meets them. She holds out her hand to Yoon Hwa and tells the little girl that she would show Yoon Hwa around. Yonghwa and Joohyun follow them. They are shown the classrooms, the art room, the music room and the playground.

“I hope the school is to your liking Yoon Hwa Appa, Yoon Hwa Omma.”

“I want to go to school here Appa, Omma!” The little girl jumps up and down with excitement.

Yonghwa bends to pick up his little girl. Being hyper would make her eat very little and hard to put to sleep. “Arasso Omma and Appa know.”

“Where can we sign the papers?” Joohyun asks.

They sign off on the enrollment forms and Joohyun pays for a whole school year plus school supplies. Yoon Hwa could start the next week. Yonghwa peeks at the card that Joohyun paid with. It was the card for the account that they both deposited to every month since she was born and even when they divorced they both continued with this arrangement.

“Appa I want to eat out.” The child tells her father while they were on their way back to the SUV.

Yonghwa and Joohyun were both aware of the people who were taking pictures of them.

“Yoon Wah – Appa is going back to Jejudo.”

“No I’m not – I don’t have a scene until tomorrow afternoon. What would you like to eat Aegyah?’

“Pizza!” Yoon Hwa claps her hands.

“How about you do you have work tonight?” Yonghwa looks at Joohyun.

She wanted to say she had so that she could leave them but she wasn’t good at lying and besides Yoon Hwa would more likely make a fuss if Joohyun didn’t go.

Excuses! Excuses!

“Why are you frowning?” Yonghwa looks at her.

“Nothing. We should go to Pizza Hill – I heard from my cast mates that it’s good there.”

“Ahjussi – can you take Yoon Hwa to pizza?” The little girl asks her father’s manager when they get into the SUV.

“Of course anything for Gongjunim.”

Their appearance in the restaurant caused a stir. A lot of people took their pictures as they made their way to their table. Yonghwa had requested for privacy and the head waiter led them to the booth farthest away from the entrance.

“Chew!” Yonghwa looks at his daughter as he wipes her chin. “You’ll get a tummy ache.”

Yonghwa and Yoon Hwa ate well but they had to put another slice of pizza on Joohyun’s plate. She shakes her head and puts it on Yonghwa’s plate. She was on a diet because of her drama.

“Go to the gym where I’m a member.” He tells her. “So you don’t need to diet.”

“I’d rather do Pilates and yoga.” She replies before looking away. Joohyun knew that Yonghwa and Yeon Hee ran every morning along the beach not that they were by themselves – several other actors did as well but still she couldn’t chase the image of her ex and his leading lady running side by side – laughing. It was irritating.

Wah Seo Joohyun is your brain turning into cheese? The days of being jealous are over!

“Did you say something?” Yonghwa asks.

“No.” Joohyun shakes her head. “You want me to take her?” Yoon Hwa was already yawning.

“No I’ll carry her. I miss seeing and holding her.” Yonghwa smiles at Joohyun.

She just had to look away from that charming lop sided smile. It was lethal. The waitress that served them and the girl who processed their bill had pink cheeks when he spoke to them. Then he goes and smiles at everyone as they exited the restaurant she was sure every female heart fluttered.

They were already in front of her door when Joohyun notices that her bracelet was missing.

“Ah no! Just a second!” She races off to the elevator leaving Yonghwa in front of the door holding their sleeping daughter.

“Mian!” She comes back breathless. “I –“

She felt so guilty when she sees his face. He didn’t know the password so he had to wait again while holding their child.

He didn’t say anything as he struggled with himself not to ask for the password from her. He would never ask for it he decided – if she didn’t want to give it he would have to stop being curious about it.

But what she did next made him so irritated.

She turns a bit so that he couldn’t see her punch in the code.

He holds it in until he puts Yoon Hwa on her bed. He tries to wake up the little girl but knew that it would only make her grumpy. When he comes out she was still struggling to put the bracelet back on. Wordlessly he takes it from her and fastens it on her wrist.

“It’s Kang Soo Joo’s bracelet – I was in such a hurry that I forgot to take –“She stops when she sees his face. “Is anything wrong?”

“Joohyunah – I respect that this is your private space. I will never ask about your password - ever. So there is no need for you to hide it from me. If it makes you feel better from now on I will turn my back.”

Joohyun felt like cold water was thrown at her. She looks at his face – other than hurt that was reflected in his eyes his face was expressionless. His tone was neutral as well.

This only meant that she hurt him. Badly.

“I didn’t mean –“

But she did mean it. She didn’t want him to know her password. This unit was her own space. But it somehow it also made her feel that she was being disrespectful to him as Yoon Hwa’s father. Twice he’d been unable to take Yoon Hwa inside.

“Yes you did and I respect that. So don’t worry about it – I won’t look.” He tells her. “Goodnight Joohyunah.”

He nods his head and walks out of the unit.

This was she wanted – space between the two of them. She didn’t want him to think that there was something between them because of that night. There was nothing between them – there was only Yoon Hwa.

Joohyun sits on the sofa and lets her tears fall. Her chest hurt as she remembers his eyes.

Two weeks later Joohyun was in a panic. She was 2 weeks late and the possibility of being pregnant made her nervous. Very nervous.

Putting on a mask and dark clothes late one night she goes to the pharmacy and buys 5 pregnancy test kits. The lady in the counter looks at her strangely.

“It only takes one test.” She tells Joohyun.

Joohyun doesn’t reply and leaves the store quickly.

Based on the fact that she got pregnant on her honeymoon plus the fact that they didn’t use any protection that night made Joohyun nauseous.

Seo Joohyun how did you get yourself in this predicament?

Very simple – 5 feet 11, husky voice, soft smiling eyes, a warm body, an even warmer mouth and hands that made her temporarily insane.

As she avoided him so he avoided her as well. He would take Yoon Hwa and bring her back in the agreed time. He said hello and he said goodbye. No small talk just only about how Yoon Hwa was adjusting with school. He didn’t stay for dinner even when Yoon Hwa asked. She didn’t go to his house if she could help it. He didn’t even notice that she had short hair.

“Omma I asked Appa about your hair.” Yoon Hwa pats her mother’s hair.

Joohyun looks at her child.

“He said it suited you.”

“Oh.”

“Uhm.”

Two days later….

“Seo Joohyun I want to talk to you.”

After weeks of not even talking to Yonghwa his sudden phone call made her speechless.

“Yobosayo? Seo Joohyun.”

It was never good when he called her by her full name.

“Waeyo? I’m on my way home. Ommonim is supposed to be at home with the baby.”

“I’m nearer so Omma will open the door for me. We need to talk.” The line went dead.

Whatever was the matter with him?

When she came home he was feeding Yoon Hwa.

“Omma! You’re home!” Yoon Hwa calls out. “Yoon Hwa was hungry already so Appa made food.”

Joohyun sits with them and looks at the food on the table. He made egg rolls and radish soup. Simple plain food that they often fed to Yoon Hwa when she wasn’t feeling well.

“Is she sick?” She asks.

“No she isn’t but this is what she wanted to eat.” He tells her. “Eat now Aegyah.”

“Deh Appa.” The little girl nods. “Omma I’m not sick but all my dolls are. They have a fever.”

Yonghwa clears the table while Joohyun helps the little girl prepare for bed. He stood by the bedroom door as their little girl told her mother about her day. They played hospital today – she and Jung Halmoni. Then Yoon Hwa calls her father and asks him to read to her. She was asleep by the time he got to the middle of the book.

“Now what is this about?” Joohyun asks.

He pulls something out of his jeans pocket and hands it to her. “Do you mind telling me why our little girl has this?”

Joohyun looks at the pregnancy indicator stick – it was unused. She gasps.

“She thought it was a thermometer. When my mother asked where she got it she pointed to the medical kit.”

“And Ommonim called you?”

“Of course who else would she call? Your mother? Would my mother ask your mother why you have pregnancy kits next to the medical kit?” He runs his fingers over his hair for what felt like the millionth time.

“And what did you say?”

“What could I say? I said we –“

“You didn’t!” Joohyun puts her hands over her hot face.

“Did you want my mother to think you were sleeping with another man and that you think you’re pregnant with that man?”

“That’s my business!” Joohyun snaps.

“So are you?”

“What?”

“Pregnant? That’s why you have a pregnancy kit.”

“I’m late and even if I were pregnant it’s not your problem.”

“Whose problem is it then?”

“Mine! We’re divorced!” Joohyun walks to the window and looks out.

“That’s still my child!” He pulls at her elbow making her face him.

“It’s my child Jung Yonghwa. We’re divorced must I repeat myself? We’re divorced – you were the one who sent me the papers remember? You wanted the divorce!”

“I didn’t! I sent you the divorce papers because I thought that’s what you wanted.”

“Well I signed didn’t I? Maybe it’s what we both wanted!” She pulls away and heads for the kitchen. With trembling hands she pours herself a glass of water. She was so angry.

“Are you pregnant or not?”

“I’m late but whether I’m pregnant or not – it doesn’t change anything between us. Now will you please leave – I’m tired.”

Her back was still turned when she hears the door lock. Sinking to the floor she starts to cry- loud racking sobs as she hugs her stomach. Her heart hurt so much.

Her period came a week later and she honestly didn’t know if she was going to be happy or disappointed. Another little one would have complicated things even more but never the less another child would have been loved and cherished just the same as Yoon Hwa.

Their baby.

Joohyun was honestly glad she had a drama going on. It kept her sane and active. Her cast mates were kind and helpful. Her leading man and the second lead always tried to crack jokes and make her smile. There were various selcas posted on line with them.

It seemed that she and Yonghwa grew further apart. She was waiting for her mother in law to talk to her but she didn’t. It also didn’t seem that her mother knew of the incident. Joohyun threw all the pregnancy kits away all the while scolding herself for her carelessness.

A week later her manager waited until her scenes were wrapped up before telling her that the school called about Yoon Hwa.

“Why didn’t you call me sooner?” Joohyun was panicking the school wouldn’t call if it wasn’t urgent.

“Mian Hyunnie – you were high up on the building and I wasn’t allowed to go inside.”

Fifteen minutes later they were leaving the set location. Yoon Hwa had fallen from the monkey bars in the school’s playground and was taken to the hospital. She may have fractured her arm.

She was still in her Kang Soo Joo outfit when they reach the hospital’s emergency entrance. The school’s directress was there and Joohyun was escorted to Yoon Hwa’s bed.

“Omma…” A tearful voice calls out to Joohyun.

“Aegyah…” Joohyun’s spill tears as she carefully gathers her little one. “What happened?’

“They said I couldn’t do the monkey bars because I was girl. So I showed them I could – it was just the last bar and I missed….”

“Where was the playground monitor?” Joohyun asks the directress.

“Miss Kim was assisting another little girl who fell. But she said she told called out for the children to be careful with the monkey bars.”

“Did Miss Kim tell you be careful?” Joohyun looks at her daughter.

“Uhm.”

“And why didn’t you listen?”

“Because I could do the monkey bars in my other school.”

“Jung Yoon Hwa!”

“I’m sorry Omma.”

“Yoon Hwa Omma?” A resident comes in with the nurse. Joohyun knew that they recognized her.

“Deh, I am her mother.”

“Our little girl had a nasty fall but luckily she’ll only have a big bruise for a while. She’ll be sore and her arm will feel stiff for a few days. We suggest a sling so that she could rest it. And of course no playground activities first –“

“Yoon Hwa!” Yonghwa calls out.

Joohyun couldn’t help but notice that there were a number of nurses that were behind Yonghwa and several female residents as well.

“Appa – Yoon Hwa hurt.” Fat tears rolled down the child’s cheeks.

Yonghwa leans and dries her tears. “Let Appa talk to the Doctor first alright?”

The resident repeats what he previously said to Joohyun.

“I already told the nurse station to put in an urgent request for a private room.” The resident tells them. “Judging from the number of people who were gathering just a few feet away from the patient’s bed.”

“Kamsahamnida.” Yonghwa replies. “Please take care of her.”

“The chief of the pediatrics department will be coming to see the patient as soon she is transferred. Chief Jin would need to look at transcript of what we did for your child and from that she can recommend a specialist if needed.” The resident then leaves with the attending nurse.

Yonghwa looks at Joohyun. She was white as a sheet as she clutches Yoon Hwa’s hand. He was unsmiling when he turns to the school’s directress.

“We were told that all playtime activities would be monitored. You mean only 1 teacher is there to look after the children?”

“Mr. Jung – we only allow 8 children to play at an assigned time. Our playground is small. It just so happened that today one of the girls tripped and fell. The Teacher in charge was helping her up but as per her statement she did call out to the 2 boys and your daughter to be careful of the monkey bars.”

Yonghwa looks at his child. He was well aware of her tomboyish ways – Jane had told him previously about this except Yoon Hwa never got into these situations because Jane was with her even during school recess hours.

“Your school states that no guardians or nannies are allowed within the premises so that the children can become independent but it’s certainly not in this case.”

The directress knew that Yoon Hwa had a nanny in London who accompanied her in nursery school. “Mr. Jung – I stand by our school’s policy about not having guardians or nannies within the premises. This is the first time this has ever happened in our school’s 5 years of operation. We will further investigate and look for measures to prevent future occurrences.”

Yonghwa sighs. It was no use venting his anger on the woman. She was clearly just as distraught as Joohyun and himself.

“We’ll just bring Yoon Hwa back to school when the doctors say so in the meantime please keep us informed about the measures to prevent this from happening again.”

As he watches the directress leave Yonghwa was getting anxious – there were a lot of people already gathered.

“Excuse us.” He looks at bystanders just before pulling the curtain around the bed.

“Embrace her.” Joohyun stands up and pulls at his cuff. “She’s afraid that you’re angry with her.”

“Should I not be?” Yonghwa sits on the bed and looks at his daughter.

Hwa is sorry.” The child hiccupped. “Appa don’t get mad.”

“Aegyah – you know why Appa is mad don’t you?”

“Uhm.”

“Tell Appa why.”

“Because I was – “The child struggles with her words a sure sign that she knew what she was wrong.

“Don’t scare her too much.” Joohyun whispers behind him.

Yonghwa turns and very slightly shakes his head at Joohyun. In instances like this, as head of their family, he couldn’t be the softer parent. He takes Joohyun’s hand and faces their daughter.

“Continue Appa is listening.”

“Sungmin and Rihoon said I couldn’t do it because I was a girl.” Yoon Hwa’s brows knit as she remembers just how irritated she was at them. “They said none of the girls could do. So I….”

“So you showed them you can?” Yonghwa looks at the face that was like a mirror image of his own.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter