Yongseo Short Stories - Fine (Part 1)

YongSeo Short Stories (Previously Yongseo on 3,500 words.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yong Oppa – my friend would like to apply as a waitress.”

Yonghwa looks up from the ledgers he was trying to balance.

“I thought I told you to bring your boyfriend not your girlfriend.” Yonghwa sighs and looks at Yoona. “His phone has been off for most of the day and I need to talk to him.”

“Jongie Oppa has a test tomorrow and he’s been cranky the whole afternoon because of cramming.” Yoona pouts. “I relayed your message when I met him for lunch. Don’t get irritated with me.”

Yonghwa was unaffected by her pout. He was having trouble with the ledgers. Jonghyun was his partner so as his partner Jonghyun had to be there.

“Are you seeing him again?” Yonghwa asks as he pinches his nose. He was trying to cope with his irritation.

“Yes, he’s taking me home tonight.” Yoona replies.

“Tell him to come tonight or else.” Yonghwa stands up and puts the ledgers away. He needed to study too. “I mean it.”

“Oppa! My friend is applying as a waitress.” Yoona blocks Yonghwa.

He closes his eyes and tries to focus, he was starting a headache. “Oh right.” He turns to look at Yoona’s friend.

“Annyeong hasayo, Seo Joohyun imnida. I’m applying for the waitress job.” The owner of the soft low musical voice bows to Yonghwa.

Yonghwa felt his headache go away – instantly. He took in the wavy brown hair, the sweet shy smiling face that was blushing lightly, the white t shirt, the skinny acid washed jeans and sneakers. He had to swallow his saliva so that his jaw wouldn’t drop.

Yoona had to stop herself from giggling. Yonghwa Oppa looked really silly as he looked at her friend. But then she knew that a lot of guys had the same reaction to Joohyun.

“Uhm…..ah….” Yonghwa blinks his eyes. “How old are you?”

“Same as my age Oppa – here look at the application she filled out.” Yoona shoves the sheet of paper in Yonghwa’s hands. “Look.”

He looks at the application form taking in all the information of the girl in-front of him.  “Why haven’t I seen you before?”

“She just transferred.” Yoona responds.

“Did I ask you Im Yoona?” Yonghwa looks at Yoona. “She’s the one applying for a job not you.”

“Mian Oppa.” Yoona’s bottom lip juts out and she lowers her eyes. Yong Oppa was usually easy going and funny, she would complain to her boyfriend later.

“Yoona and I are neighbors but I just transferred here this semester.” Seohyun answers.  She was used to guys checking her out usually she didn’t mind but this guy made her conscious all of a sudden.

“You are available only on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.  We usually need our waitresses to be on call for other days of the week – in any of the 3 locations that we have.  Can you do that?” Yonghwa asks.

He’d already decided to hire her on the spot but he didn’t want to seem too eager. An employer shouldn’t place importance on just good looks alone although he was very pleased with Seo Joohyun’s looks.

She looks at her mobile and she looks up to smile at him. “I think I can do that. I can be on call even for 3 hours.”

“You have no employment history.” Yonghwa glances at her application form.

“I mostly volunteer during my spare time so I didn’t count that. Should I have?” Uncertainty clouds the clear hazel eyes and her lips turn down.

“Unnie – you do great social work. You should have included that.” Yoona links her arm with Joohyun. “Oppa – I can teach her.  We can have shifts together for a couple of days. Seohyun is a quick study.”

“Seohyun?” Yonghwa asks.

“Uhm – that’s what I prefer to be called.” She murmurs and keeps her eyes down for some reason looking at this guy unnerved her.

“So this is your first part time job.” It was statement not a question.

“Yes it is.” She nods and tries to smile confidently.

“I need to discuss this with my partner.” Yonghwa replies.

“Jongie Oppa told us to ask you.” Yoona exclaims. “He said it was you who fired the last waitress so you have to hire the replacement.”

If ever he felt like he needed to give Jonghyun a good whack in the head – this was one of those times. Two pairs of lovely expectant eyes looked at him and Yonghwa felt that he was truly cornered.

“Alright – let’s give it a try. You can start tonight.  Pay is minimum wage and all the tips you earn are your own. Yoona will give you 2 aprons to use. We have lockers in every café that you can use to put your purse in – the keys are with the manager on duty.”

Yoona laughs and gives Seohyun a hug. “See I told you’d be hired.”

“Thank you for giving me a chance.” She smiles at him and bows respectfully.

“Just do good work.” He speaks in a hurried tone in order to hide the sudden breathlessness he felt when she smiled. “Now go – both of you. Let me know if you need anything else.”

He goes and opens the ledgers again but not before taking another look at the two girls walking away. Her tight jeans emphasized her firm bottom and the jeans looked like they were painted on her. He shakes his head and gives himself a light slap. “Get your senses together Jung Yonghwa – business first.”

Jung Yonghwa and Lee Jonghyun were 2 budding entrepreneurs not yet out of university.  They’d already been written up in news articles and on the internet.  The Handsome Duo they were called – they started with one café/pub in their university using only their combined savings and loans from their parents.  By the time Yonghwa and Jonghyun were on their last year in university they had already expanded into 2 more cafes which were both located near 2 other universities.

Their concept for a café was one that catered to university students. The space was divided between a usual café that served coffee/drinks/food and 3 small quiet rooms on the 2nd floor where one could study alone or with 4 other friends. It was open from 10 AM to 12 midnight and even later during Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. But the most winning feature – which even the young owners would agree – their 3 cafes had the prettiest waitresses working for them.

It had been really easy – Eunji, Yonghwa’s cousin forced the young owners to hire her friends and the cycle was started.  The boys had to admit that the pretty waitresses brought in a lot of customers.  They had no male staff, usually doing the heavy work themselves.  They had been in business for 3 years and so far were doing well.

When Yonghwa looks up at the clock almost 4 hours had passed and he was really hungry.  Stepping out of the manager’s office he goes down to check on the café.  The café was half full of students eating an early dinner and 2 rooms upstairs were occupied. He didn’t think he did it consciously but his eyes scanned the café for the newest waitress. And he found her – her hair tied in a pony, taking orders from 3 young male students who were unashamedly staring at her.  He watches Yoona come over and talk to her – Seohyun smiles as Yoona tells the young men to take care of her Unnie who was on her first day of work.

“Are you eating Oppa?” Hyeri, his most senior waitress asks Yonghwa.

“Uhm yes, anything will do.”  He sits down on the table nearest the kitchen.

She comes back with 2 sandwiches and 2 hot teas.

“No coffee for you. You drink too much of it. Yoona is going to give me the evil eye if she catches me giving you even a small cup. Have you studied already?”

“Later. And you?” He takes a big bite out of the sandwich.  His friend, Minhyuk’s mother supervised the catering of all the 3 cafes.

“I did this afternoon when the café wasn’t full and maybe a bit after dinner.” Hyeri opens her book and starts to read.

“Bo Gam fetching you?” Yonghwa asks. He still had study but he wanted his headache to ease up a bit.

“Uhm…he still has 2 classes to go.” Hyei doesn’t even look up at him.

“How is the new girl?” Yonghwa asks.

“Oppa – I’m studying for the next 20 minutes. She’s fine. Sweet. She will do.” Hyeri turns the page of her book and sips her hot tea.

Yonghwa sighs. Seohyun moves in and out of his sight.  She had a smile on her face and talked in a low pleasant voice. The long wavy hair bounces as she walks. Her profile was nice to look at and like Hyeri said she looks sweet.

“She doesn’t have a boyfriend.” Hyeri looks at him briefly before continuing to study. “Never had one. She’s 2nd year.”

“Thought you were busy studying? You had time for gossip?” Yonghwa finishes his sandwich. He had to blow into his cup and pretend that the information didn’t interest him.

“Not gossip – we need to know who we work with. Now go and hit the books, take the cup with you.” Hyeri dismisses him with a wave of hand.

Yonghwa makes a face as he stands up.  He looks up just in time to see Seohyun almost collide with a group of students who were all hurrying out. They didn’t see her because they were arguing. Her tray wobbled and one of the glasses overturned splashing left over green apple juice on her white shirt. She tries to prevent further disaster by backing up against the wall. The students apologize profusely and she accepts their apology with a smile and a nod.

“Are you alright?” He asks when she places the tray on the counter.

“Oh, Manager, yes I’m alright.” She smiles as she puts away the used dishes, cups and glasses in their bins for washing.

“Your shirt.” He points to stain.

“I’ll bring a change of clothes next time. It happens.” She smiles again. “Excuse me – I see a hand waving.”

He looks at her approach a table with women.  She smiles and takes their order. They point at her shirt and again she dismisses the stain assuring them that she will change later.  As soon as she gives the order to the kitchen she runs to the bathroom clutching the shirt that Yoona handed to her.  He counted less than 2 minutes and she was out – wearing a dark blue shirt. Neat and tidy then she goes right back to work. No fuss at all.

“Stop staring – you’re too obvious.” Hyeri whispers to him as she passes him. “Go study!”

He shakes his head and goes back to the office.  He drains his now tepid cup of tea sit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter