YongSeo Short Stories - Muse

YongSeo Short Stories (Previously Yongseo on 3,500 words.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Early the next day….

“What?” Jonghyun looks at the two people who were lying down - Joohyun held against Yonghwa’s chest.

“Keep quiet!” Yoona covers his mouth.

“But -” Jonghyun lets himself be dragged out of the room.

“What is your problem?” Yoona looks at her boyfriend. “Joohyun likes him - a lot - since she was high school she told me!”

“So what if she does?”

“You don’t trust your best friend?”

“Of course I do!”

“You don’t trust Joohyun?”

“You’re taking this out of context! I need to wake them up!”

“No! Just let them be.”

“Joohyun will be so embarrassed! They both will be.”

“That’s their problem not yours. Everyone is still sleeping - care to go to my room?”

“Alright -”

“Well you answered fast enough. Let’s go!”

Yonghwa and Joohyun both gasp when they wake up. Arms untangle and they move away from each other.

“Joohyunah!”

“Op - Oppa!”

Yonghwa  literally jumps out of the beddings and leans on the wall nearest the door.

“Nothing happened Joohyunah.” He assures her.

“Deh - ara.”  Joohyun mutters and looks away. It hurt that he was very quick in moving away from her and assuring her.  She was indeed drunk last night but she vividly recalled that she confessed and from the way he acted this morning - it would seem that her confession was rejected.

“I have to - to - to - go to the bathroom.” She grabs her duffel bag and runs out of the room leaving Yonghwa to stare after her.

Joohyun splashes cold water on her face.  She was so embarrassed and decides to just take a shower. Washing and shampooing always calmed her - she thought of different scenarios on how she would face him - none the scenarios were acceptable.  She was just stepping out with a towel around her body when the door opens and Jungshin comes in.

Both of them scream and Joohyun runs back to the shower stall banging the door behind her. She slides down the wet wall and lets her tears come.

“Joohyunah...Joohyunah….”

She hears a soft knock and resolutely ignores it. She hears the door open and calls out. “Don’t come in  - I’ll scream again.” She knew she sounded childish but she didn’t care.

“It’s only me.” Yonghwa steps into the bathroom. “Dress up now - no one else is coming in I’ll stand by the door.”

Joohyun rushes to dress up - white tee, cardigan, jeans, socks. She puts her damp hair in a bun on top of head. She puts lotion on her red face - mentally berating herself for her carelessness - she forgot to lock the door.

“Hyunnie - mian.” Jungshin was beside Yonghwa when she opens the bathroom door.

“It - it was my fault.” Joohyun mutters . “I forgot to lock the door.”

“So are we good?” He asks. “I - I didn’t see anything!” His remark makes him grimace in pain when Yonghwa taps his head.

“No need to say that!” Yonghwa snaps.

Her face gets warm again and she goes back to the room clutching her bag. She was so embarrassed.  They would again.

Inside the room - she puts on a bit of makeup and finds a hair dryer.  Her hair would curl but she just lets be. There was no one to impress anyway - her heart gave a little squeeze.

“Joohyunah - would you like breakfast?” Yonghwa calls out.

She reluctantly opens the door - she just didn’t want to look at him just now. “Uhm - I don't eat breakfast. Jongie Oppa is -”

“Still in the room with his girlfriend.” Yonghwa replies and sees her cheeks become pink again. Once again he’s struck by how wholesome and natural she looked. Even the little lip gloss she had and redness of her cheeks didn’t detract from her natural good looks.

Innocent.      

Beautiful.

“We can go for breakfast.” He tells her. “Without Jungshin.” He glares at Jungshin who was lying down on the sofa looking at his phone. “What do you say? C’mon - it’s a nice morning. Indulge Oppa.”

“I’d rather…”

Yonghwa’s hand reaches out to take her hand and he pulls her out of the room. “Jungshin we’re going out tell the others.”

He didn’t let go of her hand until they reach his car. After putting the seat belt on her and giving her another charming smile he drives off. They end up in the marketplace - where Yonghwa eats abalone porridge while Joohyun just eats a hard boiled egg.

“You know the abalone porridge that I had when I was sick - the one you gave - is still the best abalone porridge I’ve ever had.”  He tells her. “But this is a bit okay.”

Joohyun starts choking and Yonghwa makes her drink his tea. “Slowly...slowly….” He pats her back. “Joohyunah...we are not in a hurry.”

His hand was on her back when they leave the marketplace.  On their way back to the apartment they buy sandwiches for everyone.

“You drive Joohyunah.” He tells her. “The key is in my jeans front pocket.” He was holding both the sandwiches and the coffees.

Joohyun pulls out the key very carefully.

“Ah such a pink face.” He murmurs as he looks on. The long lashed downcast eyes, pink cheeks - Joohyun biting her lower lip. Lovely.

She starts the car after he tells her to - driving slowly and carefully.

“We’ll be there by this afternoon Joohyunah.” He teases her and was once again rewarded by pink cheeks plus dagger looks. “Look at the road not at Oppa - good girl.”

“Not a girl.” She mutters.

“Ara - Oppa knows.”

Joohyun would have wanted to say more but decides to just let it pass.  She was no match for his teasing ways.

“Wah! I told you they went out to buy food!” Minhyuk exclaims as soon as Yonghwa and Joohyun come thru the door.

“What did you expect them to be?” Tiffany asks as she takes the bag of sandwiches  from Yonghwa. “Out on a date?”

“It’s too early for that. “Taeyeon quips but not before looking at the 2 pinked cheeked people. “Maybe they will later - we’re all watching a movie right? Jungshin-nee go and wake up the couple that’s inside the room - tell them to come out or else there will be no more sandwiches left!”

For the rest of the weekend with Yoona’s help - she had to side step Jonghyun’s questions. Even Tiffany and Taeyeon’s mischievous glances

All weeklong Joohyun waited for Yonghwa to say something about her drunken confession. Observing him - Yonghwa was the same as before.  He told funny stories and like the rest of them. He was always next to her though and very vigilant about the amount of alcohol that she drank.

There wasn’t a repeat of him taking her back to the room because she wasn't that drunk. Before she sleeps, her heart would squeeze a bit and she would be embarrassed all over again as she remembers that her confession was rejected.

Yet he was there in the mornings - taking her hand and making her have breakfast with him - only.

Just like that - their friends made them into a couple. Group dates found them next to each other - in the movies, in restaurants and even just walking. She couldn’t even remember who texted who first but now they always said goodnight to each other and greeted each other in the morning. If she didn’t have a ride going home he was always available and if he couldn’t take her home at once he would tell her where he was and make her wait for him.

“I’m not going to ask you anything Seo Joohyun.” Jonghyun tells her one morning while on their way to school. “Yonghwa Hyung is a good guy….”

“What are you saying Oppa? We’re not…. we’re just close - like you and me.”

“Just that? Okay….if that’s what you say.”

Jonghyun even had the same conversation with Yonghwa.

“Jongie…”

“She’s safe with you Hyung. My hands are full with Yoona these days….”

“We're just close.”

“We’re going to be late for class Hyung - are you taking  Joohyun home tonight?”

“Deh - she has library until my last class.  Waeyo?”

“Nothing - oh, hell - Ssem is already inside the room!”

Then it was just the two of them.

“Where is everyone? We’ll be late for the movie!” Joohyun looks at Yonghwa.

“Well according to our group chat - Jungshin can’t make it because his brother is here, Minhyuk’s mother told him to buy some things to send home, Jongie isn’t answering which means he’s probably with Yoona. Did your Unnies say anything?”

“No they said they’ll be here.”

“The movie is about to start - let’s go in. Are you sure you don’t want anything to eat or drink?”

“No Oppa but can we eat later?”

“Of course.”

Two pairs of laughing eyes were looking at them from afar.

“Unnie - they watched the movie by themselves.” Tiffany tells Yoona over the phone. “We’ll be there soon.”

“Success!” Taecyeon claps her hands. “Now let’s go to the club.  Just how did Yoona get past Jonghyun?”

“She said she had a headache. He got mad which is probably why he didn’t come to the movie. Oh, well that’s her problem. Let’s hope he doesn’t find out.”

It was raining hard when Yonghwa and Joohyun come out of the mall and they were soaking wet by the time they got to the car.

“I told you to wait until I could get an umbrella!” Yonghwa gives Joohyun an irritated look. “Not following Oppa!”

Joohyun just shrugs her shoulders. She was more worried about him getting sick than herself. She always had a robust constitution.  They have piping hot noodle soup in one of the many small eateries that Yonghwa knew about. She kept reassuring him that she would be fine.

Joohyun got sick for a week.

“The kitchen can make you ginger soup - why did Jongie have to give you 3 thermos bottles?” Her Omma asks.

“Because he’s Oppa.” Joohyun smiles just before she sneezes again. Her eyes watered and she sips the very spicy soup.  She was happy - very much so - Yonghwa Oppa made the soup just for her.

Because he was worried.

She hoped.

When she went back to school Yonghwa just looks her over and asks if she was contagious. Joohyun scowls and turns her back - she had no intention of eating lunch with anyone of the guys that were chuckling over Yonghwa’s remark.

“Hyun! Finally! We were looking for you!” Her classmates - JB, Jackson and JR were all smiling as they caught up with Joohyun.

The smile she gave them was luminous - her cheeks coloring prettily and her hand unconsciously putting a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Who are they?” Jungshin asks. “Wah - gongjunim is smiling like a girl!”

“Her classmates who else?” Jonghyun replies.  “Architecture has more males than females. I heard that their professors try to assign at least 1 girl in every group project because the male students were complaining. Of course all of those morons would want to group with Joohyun - she’s Dean’s List. I would do that same - she’s very focused and does most of the work. No need to mention the fact that my dongsaeng is very pretty.”

“Now that’s not fair.” Yonghwa comments as they watch Joohyun sit a few tables across from them.  She didn’t even have to line up for lunch. They got it for her including 2 banana milk and a cake. They watch her laugh and smile at the 3 guys as they ate lunch.

“Yah - what are the Architecture students doing here?” They hear a comment from a group of girls that pass by their table.

“Who cares? They’re handsome - let’s sit closer.”

“What about the girl?”

“What about her?  She can’t have all 3 of them!”

Bad enough that Joohyun snubbed all of them as she and her group were stepping out the cafeteria - one of them actually removes his jacket and puts it on her shoulders. She smiles her thanks.

“Joohyun’s admirers keep growing.” Minhyuk remarks while casting a sidelong glance at Yonghwa.  Jungshin smiles impishly and nods.

“As long as she introduces them to me.” Jonghyun quips. “Alright I have to go and fetch Yoona. See you tomorrow.”

“You’re cutting classes again?” Yonghwa asks. “It’s getting more frequent Jongie! I don't know what to say to Ssem.”

“You’ll think of something Hyung!”

Yonghwa was not in a good mood for the rest of the afternoon. The maknaes had somewhere to go to that day and he took his time walking to the parking lot. Then a running man overtakes him and sprints to the library.

It was Henry and he was in hurry.

Joohyun was just coming out of the library with 2 of the guys she was with during lunch. She was on the phone and waves when she sees him. Introductions were made and Yonghwa sees her shake her head. She waves at the 2 guys and walks with Henry towards Yonghwa.

“Sunbae.” Henry smiles when he sees Yonghwa next to his Honda.

Yonghwa nods and opens the door of his car. He didn’t even acknowledge her but just sped away.

Joohyun’s heart hurt. She was irritated that after being sick Yonghwa would about being contagious and it was true she did snub them during lunch but that was because she was afraid they would infront of her group mates. She was also ersely happy when JB took off his jacket and put it on her shoulders but she did give it back to him as soon as they left the cafeteria - she just wanted to prove a point - that she wasn’t contagious. And just now he didn’t even look at her or Henry - ignoring her again like he did in the past.

She tried to block out the ache by talking to Henry about their favorite piano pieces. They were arguing about Schubert and Chopin when his phone suddenly buzzes.

“Hyunnie - can I just drop you off at the corner near your house? I’m sorry for this - today of all days I have to rush to get my sister. “ Henry apologizes to her.

“No problem.” Joohyun smiles. She didn’t want to tell him at it was a good 2 more blocks to get to her house from the convenience store where he was dropping her off.  Henry was a nice guy and she tries not to see another guy’s cold face in her mind. She knew a shortcut by the alleys that Jonghyun showed her when they were still children.

She was quite surprised to see Yonghwa by Jonghyun’s gate - leaning on his car - looking the other way.Thinking that he was there to see Jonghyun - Joonhyun walks past him.

“Yah - why are you coming from that side?” He calls out to her. “I’ve been waiting for awhile.”

Joohyun stops and turns to look at him. “I got off on the other side of the road.”

“Where is Henry?” He asks.

Joohyun curbs her urge to scowl. “He had to pick up his sister because his Omma couldn’t. Jongie Oppa not home yet?”

“I wasn’t waiting for him.” Yonghwa kept his voice from losing inflection. “I was waiting for you.” He had gotten irritable as he waited for her - he should have told to her to go straight home.

“Waeyo? I thought I was infectious!” She gives in and scowls at him before turning to go the gate of her house.

“Ah so you’re mad at Oppa?”

“Shouldn’t I be? Now if you don’t mind I’d like to go home.”

“Come out with me.”

“Yeh?”

“Come and have dinner with me. Oppa is sorry for teasing you.”  He walks up to her.

Joohyun bites her lower lip - she was very tempted to say yes but didn’t want to seem to eager.

“Don’t think anymore - Oppa is sorry and wants to make it up to you.” His hand reaches out to tug one of her curls.

“Why? Make it up to me today then tease me again tomorrow!” Joohyun clutches her book closer to her chest.  Her heart was beating too rapidly because he was standing too close.

Then she looks at road and sees the Ahjumma from Jonghyun’s house. She gasps and opens the backseat door of Yonghwa’s car.  “Palli let’s go - Ahjumma…”

“Oh Yongie - your friend isn’t home yet you need anything?” The older woman looks on as Yonghwa hastily starts his car.

“Aniyo Ahjumma - just tell him I passed by.”

At the backseat Joohyun texts her Omma that she would be having dinner with her new project mates and would be taken home

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter