YongSeo Short Stories : MUSE

YongSeo Short Stories (Previously Yongseo on 3,500 words.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

QUESTION : What does a 1st  year Architecture student, a 3rd year Music major and a 3rd year Drama major have in common?

ANSWER : a 3rd Year Music major. Lee Jonghyun.

Seo Joohyun was his neighbor and childhood friend. He was Oppa since she was old enough to remember.

Jung Yonghwa was considers him as his best friend. Since they were freshmen - from the very first day in university - they were seatmates and were inseparable most of the time.

Im Yoona was Jonghyun’s girlfriend of 6 months. Their relationship has its ups and down but she loves him sincerely and she was certain that he felt the same.

All three were jealous of one another. In varying degrees and often made Jonghyun sigh in despair.

A typical day….

“Jongie Hyung - Yonghwa Hyung texted that we have practice today.” Jungshin sits next to Jonghyun in the cafeteria. “Can I have half of your sub sandwich? I’m hungry.”

Jonghyun looks at his younger friend. “You know Yoona bought this for me.” He gives the half eaten sub to Jungshin.

“I’ll eat it fast.”

“Not fast enough.” Minhyuk looks at the frowning young woman who sits in front of Jonghyun.

“Mian - he was hungry.” Jonghyun scratches his head.

“Don’t forget we’re watching a play tonight presented by Tiffany Unnie’s Drama Club.” Yoona glares at Jungshin who was busy wolfing down the sub.

“Yah - Lee Jungshin! You’ll choke!” Minhyuk puts his soda can in front of his friend. “We have practice.” He calmly looks at Yoona.

“What? Oppa! You promised!” Yoona exclaims and levels a jaw dropping aegyo on her boyfriend.

“I got my- my - calendar mixed up.” Jonghyun replies - he looks away even as his cheeks flame with embarrassment as he felt everyone was looking at them.

“That’s because she deleted the practice and put in the play.” Yonghwa puts his guitar case down and sits next to Jonghyun. “I saw her fiddling around with your mobile yesterday when we were getting lunch.”

Yoona’s eyes shot daggers at Yonghwa.  She disliked him. Intensely. He took her Oppa’s time away from her.

Yonghwa didn’t even look at her but looks at Jonghyun instead.  He tolerated Yoona because Jonghyun loves her but he disliked the fact the she constantly tried to put herself first before their band’s practice. Girlfriends were needy and he certainly didn’t want one even if a lot of of girls had smiles on their faces and blush on their cheeks when he walked by.  He had received numerous confessions. He just didn't need the headache.

“Sweetheart! Don’t do that! We’re competing  and when Yonghwa Hyung tells us we need to practice - we need to practice. Ssem would be mad if we didn’t.” Jonghyun scolded his girlfriend but very mildly and reaches out to tuck her hair behind one ear.  “Oppa can watch the play with you later - hmm? Pick another date.”

Yoona sighs and nods her head.  Her boyfriend and his friends were competing in the city-wide Battle of the Bands. “Alright I’ll pick another day and don’t  let any of you spoil my date with Oppa!” She gives them a final glare before she stands up and leaves muttering under her breath how much she disliked her boyfriend’s friends especially Jung Yonghwa.

“I really don’t like difficult women.” Minhyuk mutters as they watch her leave the cafeteria.  Many eyes followed her. Im Yoona was considered one of the reigning campus beauties.

“But you like my cousin Krystal though.” Yonghwa chuckles. “She was brought up in the States. Now - she’s difficult. Very difficult.

“That’s why he’s just looking!” Jungshin laughs then starts to cough.

“Brat!” Minhyuk grabs the soda and drains it.

“Hyung! I’m -”

“Here take some of this.” Yonghwa brings out a tall flask and hands it to Jungshin.

“No - that's for your voice.” Jonghyun shakes his head and reaches for his wallet. “Here - get a soda for yourself. Brat!”

All 4 were close and grew even closer ever since they were chosen by Professor Lee Joon Gi - Dean of the College of Music to represent their university in the Battle of the Bands.

All three were ever mindful of Yonghwa’s voice. After he got sick with the flu for a week - the other three - as per the request of Yonghwa’s mother- always made sure he was drinking his medicine and all the strong ginger tea that she made for him.

“We have class - see you later dongsaengs.” Jonghyun smiles and leaves the cafeteria with Yonghwa.

“Just look at them with their mouths open.” Minhyuk looks at all the female eyes that follow Yonghwa and Jonghyun.

Jungshin nods and laughs. “We’re just as handsome Minhyuk Hyung!”

“If you say so.” Minhyuk replies. “Finish your soda and let’s go  - I have class in 15 minutes.”

They were already in the hallway when they hear someone calling them.

“Yah! Kang Minhyuk! Lee Jungshin! Yah! Stop!”

“Could you not be a middle schooler?” Minhyuk crosses his arms and glares at the girl who ran up to them. “You look about 14.”

“I don't care.” Joohyun shakes her pigtails. “I was late for school today.” She pushes her red glasses higher.

“Would it kill you to look more like a young woman than an adolescent Hyunah-yah.” Jungshin pulls one of her pigtails.

“Not interested.” She scowls at him. “Have you seen Jonghyun Oppa?”

“He has class with Yonghwa Hyung. Waeyo?” Minhyuk asks.

Truth to tell, Seo Joohyun was very pretty - even if she did dress up like a juvenile. The loose D & G hoodie went down to her knees and covered her hands, the skinny Tommy Denim jeans, the very expensive Converse sneakers that were all the rage, the Salvatore Ferragamo red glasses. She was dressed very expensively but none of these made her look feminine in their eyes.

“You should watch the Fashion Channel.” Jungshin sighs. “We have band practice tonight so if you’re looking for a ride - your Jonghyun Oppa will be with us until about 11 PM.”

“I can wait.” Joohyun replies. “I’ll be in the library.  Tell him to get me there.” She gives them a brilliant smile before running towards the exit doors.

“Deh, gongjunim.” Minhyuk bows.

“Kamsahamnida gongjunim.” Jungshin adds. “I’m really glad I’m not Jonghyun Hyung. Two girlfriends are really bad.”

“Yah - he only has Yoona Noona.” Minhyuk swats Jungshin’s arm. “She’ll hit you if she hears that!”

“Well - that little girl who just ran out thinks differently.” Jungshin replies.

“She’s his dongsaeng.”

“Now don't let Joohyun hear you say that. She’ll kill you.” Jungshin  laughs.

“Evil Maknae!”

Later when they told Jonghyun about fetching Joohyun from the library after their practice Jonghyun just nods his head. He wasn’t surprised - Joohyun was just spoiled that way.

“Why can’t she learn how to drive?” Yonghwa asks.

“Her family especially her parents are nervous about it.” Jonghyun replies.  “Besides - I’ve sometimes taken her to and from school ever since she was little.”

“Yup that why she’s a Princess.” Minhyuk replies and all of them laugh when Jonghyun rolls his eyes.

They practice until almost midnight since it was a weekend the next day.

Since Jonghyun was the only one with a car, he usually dropped off them off in the apartment the 3 shared just a few blocks from the university.

They find Joohyun outside the library steps fast asleep, huddled in her overcoat.

“Ah chincha this girl - you’d think she’d know better than to keep herself warm.”  Jonghyun removes his jacket and drapes it over her. “Seo Joohyun! Seo Joohyun wake up!”

“Oppa?” Joohyun blinks her eyes. “What took you so long? The librarian kicked me out already.” She holds up both arms so he could pull her up.

“Look at you - you’ll get sick!” Jonghyun puts his arm over her and leads her to the car.

“Oh - why are you here?” She looks at the 3 guys who were at the back seat of the car.

“Why can’t we be here?” Yonghwa asks and watches as the normally pale face turn pink with irritation.

“Hyung - your voice - you can’t talk!” Jonghyun puts the seat belt over Joohyun. “I always bring them home after practice Hyunah. You know I have practice so you should have told your driver to fetch you.”

“Omma knows you’re taking me home besides they have a dinner party to go to. Don’t they have cars?”

“We’re not rich like you Gongjunim.” Minhyuk replies. “Besides don’t you have more than 1 car? Gongjunim.”

“I told you not to call me that!” Joohyun snaps.”My father was coming from another place...oh never mind...why do I bother to explain!”

“So why don't you learn how to drive?” Yonghwa asks  - his voice was without inflection a clear sign that he was irritated.

Everyone on campus knew that Seo Joohyun was the daughter of the Seo Han Architects & Engineers Group - one of the largest in Korea.  The long black Lincoln sedan with the uniformed chauffeur took her to and from school almost everyday.

“Hyung! Your voice!” Jonghyun exclaims. “Hyunah - it’s my car! Don’t make things difficult! Oppa is tired! We are all tired! Go to sleep!”

Giving the guys in the back seat a final glare before turning and smiling angelically at Jonghyun. “Deh Oppa.” Joohyun replies.

“See you tomorrow!” Jonghyun waves to Yonghwa, Jungshin and Minhyuk. “Game is at 4.”

“What? You’re going with them again?”  Joohyun asks as she watches the 3 men enter the apartment.  They see Jungshin put his arm around Yonghwa and Minhyuk get his satchel. Her Jonghyun Oppa and those 2 younger guys always took care of Jung Yonghwa.

“Weekends are times to relax. Playing video games are our way of relaxing. Then I’m seeing Yoona at 9 PM - we’re eating dinner and watching a midnight movie. Sunday - I’m going out with  my parents - Appa wants to go fishing. There’s that’s my whole weekend - Gongjunim.”

“Oppa! You’re mean!”

“And you are so easy to tease. Just like Yoona!”

Joohyun frowns and looks outside.  She didn’t like Jonghyun Oppa’s current girlfriend either.  It wasn’t like he never had one before but she somehow felt that this one - Im Yoona was different.

“How is Kang Joon Hyung?” Jonghyun asks.

“Same as always.” Joohyun replies. “Being perfect for Appa and Omma.”

Her brother Seo Kang Joon was currently pursuing his Master’s degree in Engineering. Unlike Joohyun, Kang Joon studied in the US since high school. Her brother was the perfect chaebol heir.  Joohyun was very fond of her brother who was really Jonghyun’s childhood friend. She merely tagged along.

“Your claws are showing.” Jonghyun tugs her pigtail.

“Ah! No I’m not - I’m glad Oppa always does  well.” Joohyun replies. “Takes the pressure off me.”

Jonghyun laughs. “Ah Seo Joohyun you really know how to fool yourself. You should have been a Piano major but you chose to go into Architecture - which I know you hate. If that’s not pressure I don’t know what is!”

“Hate is such a strong word Oppa. I don’t really dislike it it’s just that well - Appa is an Architect and he wanted someone to follow in his footsteps.  It was either Architecture or Engineering. And Engineering I really hate! At least I can always become a professor.”

“Don’t you miss your piano lessons?”

“I still practice Oppa - Omma makes sure that I go to a private teacher. You know her - always showing off to her circle of friends just how great a relationship she has with her step children.”

“Now - now - Sung-ryung Imo is really good to you and your Oppa. My Omma thinks she did a very good job raising you and Kang Joon Hyung. Why? Did you wish she was an evil stepmother?”

“Of course not. I’m just sad that she couldn’t have kids of her own.  I would have loved another sibling. It would take Appa’s attention away from me even more.”

“Alright - here you are.  I’ll wait until the gate opens. Good night Hyunnie!”

“Good night Oppa - thank you for bringing me home.”

Coming out from her shower Joohyun lies down on her bed. From childhood she always had to review her day. She felt her face grow warm when she remembers one face.

A soft knock and the door opens.

“How are you?”

“I’m well now - where is Jonghyun?”

“He’ll come later. I - I was told to bring you food.” A tray was deposited on his lap.

“Thank you. How did you know abalone porridge was my favorite?”

“I- I - didn’t - I just - I just guessed.”

“Good guess.” He smiles.

“I’m supposed to wait here until Jongie Oppa comes. I’ll be outside if -if-you need me.”

She had to retreat.  She had to run away. Awkwardness was her middle name. But he had the loveliest smile. For once he wasn’t talking to her with an icy tone. For once he didn’t make it seem like she was a pest.

Having her driver wait for 3 hours for the abalone porridge from the best hanjeongsik restaurant in Seoul was worth it. She used her Omma’s name of course and ordered 4 bowls to go.  It was unheard of but she agreed to pay for the handcrafted bowls as well. She would probably have to ask for additional allowance again from her brother but that was easy.

Later when Jonghyun asked her about where the abalone porridge came from she smoothly said that her Appa ordered it and these were extra. Jonghyun had looked at her strangely then and she had countered that she was being nice only because he was Jonghyun’s best friend.

She was still smiling when her stepmother comes to her room.

“Oh, Hyunah - stayed in the library again?”  The beautiful face smiles and sits on the vanity stool arranging her gown carefully.

“Deh.” Joohyun answers. “Did you have a nice dinner with Appa?”

“The usual people, the usual topics - you know how it is.” Kim Sung-ryung smiles at her stepdaughter. “I went home ahead - you know your Appa and his buddies need to drink more.”

Still lovely and slim at 50 years of age - she would give a lot of younger women a run for their money.  She was a trophy wife and she was contented to be one. She was a seasoned socialite and living the life she always wanted. She and her husband led separate private lives but presented a united front in society. Her poise and composure made Sung-ryung weather the rumors and scandals that often shook most chaebol marriages.

Sung-ryung married a widower and raised his 2 children as her own. She signed a prenuptial and she fully intended to make the most of her husband’s generous allowance. It wasn’t always easy but she was fairly certain that her 2 stepchildren regarded her like their real mother. Or at least Joohyun did. Seo Kang Joon - the eldest child - well- they tolerated each other mostly for Joohyun’s sake.

“Ah Omma - can I enrol in driving school?” Joohyun yawns and snuggles deeper in her princess bed.”I mean you used to drive before  - why can’t I?”

“We have a driver -”

“I know but I’d really like to be able to get to places on my own.” Joohyun replies. “Please Omma...I just know you can get Appa to agree.”

Sung-ryung sighs. Joohyun could be very persistent when she wanted to be. One track minded and wilful much like her father - Seo Kang Hyun.  The Chairman and CEO of Seo Han Architects and Engineering Group had high hopes for his children and as his wife Sung-ryung had to make sure that the 2 children fulfilled their father’s wishes.

6 months after…..

“Joohyunah! Wah you made it!” Jonghyun smiles as Joohyun steps out of the rental car.

“Of course I did.” She replies. “I’m smart.” She hears laughter and she turns to glare at Yonghwa, Jungshin and Minhyuk.

“Nice car too!” Jonghyun, ever the peacemaker, sought to divert Joohyun’s attention from his 3 laughing friends.

Joohyun gives them another glare before smiling at Jonghyun. “Oppa - do I get my old room?”

“Of course - gongjunim. You don't need to share.”  Jonghyun laughs when Joohyun’s nostrils flare. “Let’s go - give me your bag. What’s in this? Stones?”

“Oppa! Not funny!”

The Lee vacation house was located in Jeju island.  It was the original house of his grandparents but was very well maintained. His father would not even hear about demolishing the house and building a modern one even if his good friend Arch. Seo offered his firm’s services at a huge discount.

Joohyun was very much aware of 3 male eyes watching her. She had short shorts, a tee tied around her midriff and sandals. It was summer she kept repeating to herself as drove the rental car from the airport.  It unnerved her to drive by herself since she was a new driver but she adamantly refused Jonghyun’s offer to pick her up.

“Oh, you’re here.” Yoona comes out from the kitchen. “Come and help us out.”

“Deh Unnie.” Joohyun nods and follows Yoona.

“Ah Maknae!” Taeyeon exclaims when Joohyun came to the kitchen. “Palli - put this outside while the drinks are still cold.  Careful with snacks.”

“You look pretty today Maknae.” Tiffany smiles at Joohyun.

Joohyun’s pale face turns pink and the 3 older girls laugh.

“So really - who is it that you like?” Yoona looks at Joohyun.

They were backstage for the final show of Battle of the Bands. It had been a gruelling 6 weeks of practice and performance for Jonghyun and his group.  At first it really irked Yoona that Joohyun was always there helping out. Sometimes, even when Yoona couldn’t be. For all intents and purposes - Joohyun who was not even 21 years old - was the unofficial manager of the group.  Even Ssem Lee Joon Gi spoke to her with regard to the band’s activities.

Joohyun felt her face grow warm. “What do you mean? I’m doing this for Jongie Oppa.”

“Yah! Don’t lie Seo Joohyun - you at it!  Even if those 4 guys are oblivious I am not!” Yoona exclaims then narrows her eyes. “Now who is it that you like? And don’t say it’s my boyfriend!”

“Unnie - not so loud!” Joohyun moves away from the stage door.

“They won’t hear - they’re practicing!” Yoona replies. “Tell!”

“Uhm….”

“I won’t tell Jongie Oppa - I swear!” Yoona holds her hand up. “I can even pinky swear and sign if you like.”

“Now who’s in high school?” Joohyun replies. She studiously avoided being obvious to everyone - or so she thought. She just smiled and acknowledged the thanks she got from them even as her heart did somersaults. She would always say because her brother told her that she should support Jonghyun.

“Quickly! I have to go home because my Omma and I are going shopping tomorrow and I must rest!”  Yoona steps closer to the blushing younger woman. “We’re friends now aren’t we Seo Joohyun?”

“Deh.”

“I’ve introduced you to all my friends, right? Making your circle of friends even larger. Right?”

“Deh.”

“Did we or did we not help you address your hurdle with dressing up, putting on makeup and generally looking prettier than you were before?”

“Deh - kamsahamnida Unnie. I am grateful.” Joohyun bows.

“Now tell….”

Joohyun leans to whisper in Yoona’s ear.  For the rest of the day Joohyun had a frown on her face - Yoona Unnie had doubled up in laughter when she said who she liked. But still - it felt good to finally admit it to someone else.

“Jongie Oppa - here are the drinks and the snacks.” Joohyun comes out with a huge tray.

“Here let me take it - this is heavy.” Yonghwa takes the tray from Joohyun.

“Kamsahamnida.” Joohyun mutters and felt her heart start beating fast. She puts her hands behind her back. “Uhm - Jongie Oppa - I’ll just go to -to - the kitchen. Yes - the kitchen.”

“What’s up with her?” Minhyuk asks. “Well whatever - she looks less strange now and prettier too.”

A flicker of something like annoyance registers in Yonghwa’s eyes before he turns his attention once again to the song he was composing.

Last winter….

“Now you look pretty Seo Joohyun.” Jungshin looks at Joohyun from head to foot making her blush furiously. “Ah-ah - don’t scowl!”

Joohyun was wearing tight white jeans, a peach fuzzy sweater with a matching beret, high boots with a little bit of heels. She had peach gloss and mascaraed eyes. She had been wearing contact lenses for 4 months.

“What do you say?” Jonghyun looks at her.

“Kamsahamnida.” Joohyun mutters obediently then bows.

“Why are you so pretty Seo Joohyun?” Jonghyun playfully tugs her wavy hair. “ For who?”

“For myself!” Joohyun scowls. “Now do you want to go over the logistics on how we’re going to get to the next battle or not?  I can tell my Omma we don’t need the office van for your instruments.”

“Ack! This girl - you look like an angel but you’re prickly like a cactus!” Minhyuk exclaims and sits next to her. “Okay we are listening.”

Joohyun takes a deep breath to calm her heart. She hadn’t gotten used to the attention she got  ever since she became more fashion conscious and put on makeup.

“Unnie - you need me?” Joohyun goes to the kitchen.

“We’re fine here Maknae - are you studying again? “ Yoona looks up from what she was cooking.

“De

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter