YongSeo in 3500 Words - Love and Like

YongSeo Short Stories (Previously Yongseo on 3,500 words.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa met Seohyun on the first day as a trainee at SM.  He was among the batch of trainees that were introduced by President Lee Soo-Man.  Yonghwa was nervous as was his first friend there Lee Jonghyun.

The lunch that followed was less intimidating.  Yonghwa and Jonghyun found themselves seated with other trainees and 2 SM artists – Cho Kyuhyun of Super Junior and Onew of Shinee. The Sunbaes were there to answer any questions the newbies might have.

“Oppas! Annyeong Hasayo!” A very pretty girl stops by their table. She immediately catches Yonghwa’s eye – well everyone’s eye for that matter. She exuded an air of innocence and simplicity. Her accompanying smile included everyone around the table.

“Annyeong hasayo, Seo Joohyun from Girls Generation. Welcome to SM! Let’s help each other!” She makes another bow.

“Yah, Seobaby why wasn’t your group in the welcome ceremony?” Kyuhyun flicks her ponytail.

“Mianeyo Kyu Oppa – we had a pictorial and only just got back.” She blushes.

Yonghwa was struck by her politeness and maturity. Girls Generation – his Sunbae. But she looks so young.

“Everyone – Seohyun is our Girls Generation’s Maknae, just turned 20. She’s our favorite girl. Don’t be daunted by the honorifics she uses this for everyone. Count yourself blessed if she uses banmal with you.” Onew smiles as he lightly tweaks Seohyun’s cheek bringing a deeper blush on the young woman’s cheek.

“I have to make the rounds.” She smiles at all of them. “See you!” And with another cute bow she turns and runs back to the group of girls at the far end of the room. Yonghwa watches her be embraced by another equally pretty girl.

Kyuhyun looks at the trianees. “Seohyun is one of most accomplished artists here in SM. Despite of all her schedules she still manages to attend school.”

The next weeks were very hectic for Yonghwa. He barely had time to answer his mother’s calls. He lived in the dorm with other male trainees but he was closest to Jonghyun. He knew that the coming months and years would be gruelling. SM would have to see how well he fit with them and vice versa.  There were trainees who left even after 5 to 7 years with SM. Yonghwa knew the gamble he was taking – a singing career over university.  It didn’t go well with his parents but his eldest brother managed to convince them.

He liked the singing lessons best then guitar/piano/electric organ practice and hated the dance lessons the most. 

“Ey Yonghwa!” His dance instructor shook his head vigorously. “You’ll never become a dancer – don’t you want to sing and dance to an audience? Like Shinee?”

“Mianeyo Ssem but I’d rather sing and play the guitar to an audience.” Yonghwa answered. “With a band.”

“Aigoo – you and Jonghyun!” Their teacher was still shaking his head. Yonghwa knew that SM would be receiving a report about how he couldn’t dance.

Tick one point off. Yonghwa thought.

They were headed out of the dance practice room when Seohyun and several other girls came.

“Good morning!” She smiles at them. “Finished already?”

“Ah – trainees there’s still some time left why don’t you watch your Sunbaes warm up. Sit! Sit!”

Yonghwa expected the girls to say that they wanted privacy but all just smiled and nodded. Clearly they were not shy about showing the trainees what they could do. He watches them go thru warm ups with the barre and once again his eyes focused on the graceful figure that Seohyun made.  She was smiling at something that Krystal and Sulli were telling her but the practice never broke the rhythm set by Victoria.

“Seems like we’ll never be a dancing machine like Taemin or Key.” Jonghyun whispers to Yonghwa.

“Never mind at least I’m relieved that we won’t be having dance lessons anymore.” Yonghwa whispers right back.

In the coming days he would catch glimpses of Seohyun. Along the corridor, thru the glass windows of the practice rooms and in the cafeteria.  She was busy with promotions yet he would also catch glimpses of her in a quiet room or on the stairwell – reading her books and taking notes. Every time she saw the trainees she always had a smile and a greeting for them.

And his heart would beat a little faster. He doubted if she ever really noticed him.

At the end of 3 months his evaluation came. He would concentrate on guitar and voice. He was glad that SM noted that he wanted to be in a band. But they told him that they weren’t planning to launch a band yet. He was willing to wait.

He was entering his 6th month as a trainee and his piano teacher was late. Yonghwa was tinkering with the piano keys – a melody had been playing in his head for quite a while now. He just wanted to test it out. He was so engrossed in getting the melody that he didn’t notice the door open.

“That’s a pretty melody. What song is that?” A soft voice from behind him asks.

“Oh sorry-“Yonghwa turns around to find Seohyun standing behind him.  Piano sheets on hand wearing shorts, a Shinee tee with her hair was pulled back – she looked about 12 in Yonghwa’s eyes.

“No – continue.” She smiles as she sets the piano sheets on the piano top. “I’m not familiar with the song but it has a lovely melody.”

Yonghwa felt as if his fingers were frozen. He was usually comfortable with girls but for some reason Seohyun made him shy. He swallows and shakes his head.

“Oh, it’s nothing just some melody I was tinkering with.” He explains.

“Well it’s a lovely one and make sure you play the entire song for me someday. I would love to hear you sing.” Seohyun smiles at him. “What’s the working title?”

“Lovelight.” Yonghwa replies.

Coward.

But who wouldn’t be in front of her? Dressed in simple clothes, no makeup she looked gorgeous in his eyes. He never thought of having an ideal girl but at that moment Yonghwa decided – that from that moment on every girl he met would have to measure up to Seohyun.

“Yah – don’t be too shy in front of me! I’m a bit on the shy side but definitely friendly.”

“Uhm – are you going to use the room? I can step out. My teacher is running late.” Yonghwa makes to stand up but Seohyun holds up her hand.

“Mianeyo – I came here to tell you that Ssem will be late today and that I’ll just be here for you until she comes.”

Yonghwa felt like an ice cube ran down his spine. He couldn’t sit with her. She would notice.

“Uhm can I call you Oppa?” She asks him shyly. “I know you’re 2 years older than me. It would be very awkward if you call me Sunbae.”

“But you are Sunbae to me.” Yonghwa replies.

“No – I’m just Seohyun. Call me that.” She nods her head.

“Not Seobaby?” Yonghwa just couldn’t help his choding side.  It tended to show up in the most awkward moments – like now when he felt like melting into a puddle because of the warmth in her eyes and her smile.

She blushes profusely. “Ah that’s Kyu Oppa’s pet name for me. Most of my Unnies and the SJ Oppas call me that. I’ve been with SM since I was young.”

“Seohyun it is then.” He nods and breaks into a big smile.

Seohyun catches her breath then. He was very handsome especially up close. Most of her unnies had been talking about him and Jonghyun – how handsome and talented they both were. They would giggle and high five each other when they saw the two guys.

“Yonghwa Oppa it is then.” She copies his response. She felt her face grow warm and called herself all kinds of silly.

That’s how it began for them. Gradually in the coming months despite of the overwhelming shyness each felt for the other – Yonghwa and Seohyun got closer. They would wave at each other when they passed thru the corridors, take each other out for lunch or dinner –always with other people of course, he would teach her guitar and she would help him improve his piano skills. All in all it was very normal.

But not for Yonghwa. He had a huge crush on Seo Joohyun and he was very careful about it. He was scared that she would notice or someone else would. He didn’t want to lose the happiness he felt just by seeing her smile and wave or the discussions they have about almost anything under the sun.

He didn’t want to fall in love with Seohyun. And he was fiercely determined not to let that happen.

But he couldn’t help his feelings of possessiveness. Even with Jonghyun – he wanted all of Seohyun’s attention. But he can’t ever do that. He must concentrate on being a trainee and his debut.

During one of his jamming sessions with Jonghyun they were interrupted by a shy knock on the door.

“Oh- Seohyunah!” Yonghwa looks up to see her standing by the door. “Did you want something?”

“Uhm – Oppas – can you help me with the chords of a song?” She comes near them, her hands holding on to a guitar.

“Sure.” Yonghwa smiles at her.

“Main Seohyunah – I have an acting lesson in 5 minutes. I’m sure Yong would love to help.” Jonghyun tells them. He didn’t really have one but looking at the smile radiating from Yonghwa, he could just go off and read something in the library.

“What song is it?” Yonghwa asks her.

“Oh – I wanted to do an acoustic guitar version of Tell Me Your Love by Trax.” She tells him. “I want to give it as a gift for Jung-Mo Oppa.” She was all smiles when she said that.

Yonghwa felt as if the light had dimmed a bit. He felt an ache in his heart.  So the rumors were true – Seohyun had a crush on the TRAX member since she was young.

“His scoliosis has been acting up lately and he’s confined in the dorm so I’m –“She hastens to explain. Her heart was racing and she didn’t know why she had to explain. Maybe because she saw his smile slip a bit – he must have heard the rumor that she had a huge crush on Jung-Mo Oppa.

But honestly Seohyun didn’t know what she felt for Jung-Mo Oppa. She admired him a lot and felt concern about his scoliosis.

“You don’t need to tell me anything. I’m always willing to help you.” Yonghwa answered quietly.  He tried his best to keep his voice neutral. Really, he should just be happy that she sought him out.

Over the next weeks they saw each other and practiced whenever they got the chance. Seohyun was an apt pupil. Truth to tell, he was always looking forward to the times they would meet up.

“Well, you’ve already perfected it. You can play it for him now.” Yonghwa tells her. “I’m sure he’ll feel better after hearing it.”

The lyrics were particularly painful for Yonghwa. It felt like Seohyun was confessing to Jung-Mo. But he put up a brave face and tried to be encouraging.

“Oppa – you don’t believe that rumor do you?” Joohyun looks up and asks him.

“Oh – well I’ve heard it but I don’t think my opinion counts.” He stammered.

“I admire Jung-Mo Oppa a lot. He’s in pain most days and he still manages to promote and write songs.” Seohyun expl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter