Giving Up

Silent Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“All these years we have never ask you to do anything for us. We give you unlimited freedom to do whatever you want because we know you are hurting. We know you need time to heal and we tried our best to be patient, give you enough time to get better. But Min Ho… it has been 16 years already. 16 years. We know you are still angry with us but what had happened in the past, we couldn’t change anything although we hope we could.”

Lee Min Ho smirked inwardly, looking at his parents in a disbelief gaze and laughed silently at what they just said. Of course they couldn’t change anything because Soo Bin has already dead. No matter what they do now, everything is useless to him. They couldn’t give him back his sister.

Taking a deep breath, he regained his composure, maintained the mask of coldness on his face as he took his notebook out and started to write on it. At first, after what had happened in Montmartre, he wanted to start all over again. Because of Shin Hye he wanted to have a normal life and not to make her worry about him anymore. He wanted to try… trying to forgive his parents and move on. But coming back today, looking at the way they talk, the way they act, he knows nothing could ever change. For them, their business is everything.

After he was done, he turned the notebook around and showed it to Lee Kyung Tae and Han Sung Mi.

“Straight to the point. Cut the crap and don’t waste my time. What do you want from me?”

Lee Kyung Tae inhaled heavily, glanced at his wife briefly before looking back at Min Ho. There was an obvious hesitation on his face before he spoke again. “As you know, your mother and I just came back from China, having a meeting with the government people regarding a global tender for a highway project that will be built in Dalian next year.” Lee Kyung Tae paused and heaved a deep sigh.

Han Sung Mi glanced at her husband and gave him a signal that she will continue for him. She turned back to her son with her usual cold expression. “The meeting didn’t go well. Looking at the current situation, they seem to favour the other two established European and Japan companies that was also fighting for the project.”

Min Ho heard about the project too. If Lee Corporation could win the tender, it will definitely expand the business and bring the company to a higher level. But all this while, they doesn’t have much collaboration with China and without any close relationship with the Chinese people, it’s not easy to get a project from them.

“We doesn’t have much connection in China and in order to get this tender, we will need help from someone who have influential in China.” Han Sung Mi added.

Min Ho looked at his mother and an uneasy feeling crept into his chest. So this is the reason why his parents want to see him so urgently. Looking at their expression, he was sure they already have someone in mind and they want him to get involve. But how? It must be something not simple and unexpected.

“I take it that you want me to do something about it.”  

“We want you to be in charged of this project.” Lee Kyung Tae told him directly.

Min Ho turned to his father and narrowed his gaze. If even with their wide connection in this industry couldn’t do it, what makes them think he could do better than them? All these years, although he is the president of Lee Corporation, he only takes care of all internal operations and never intervenes in any external matters except some important projects that he need to meet the clients personally. He normally wouldn’t involve in any big or new project like this one. A sarcastic smirked spread across his face.

“You think the Chinese government authorities will listen to a mute person like me?”

“True. They will not listen.” Han Sung Mi said and looked at her son. “But it will be a different case if you are related to someone that is very influential.”

Min Ho’s eyes darkened at his mother’s reply. Related to someone influential in China? He doesn’t understand.

Lee Kyung Tae took a deep breath and locked his gaze at his son. “I’m sure you still remember about Kim Byung Hoon from Kim Corporation. When you were still a kid, he always come to our house with his daughter, Seol Hyun.”

Min Ho’s brows creased and the faded memories of them slowly reappeared in his mind. He wasn’t too sure how they look but he did remember there was indeed a man who always come here with a daughter. At that time, Soo Bin was still alive and she love to play with his daughter. But that little girl is very shy and doesn’t like to talk because… she is a cripple. She has leg length inequality problem.

“Kim Byung Hoon has trade and investment linkages with China and has a long-term partnership with them. If we could get his help, everything will be much more easier.” His father added again.

“Then why are you wasting time talking to me? The person that you need to meet is Kim Byung Hoon, not me.”

Min Ho crossed his arms across his chest and looked at his parents with an annoyed expression.

“We have already met up with him.” His mother interjected. “He is willing to help us to get this project… but with one condition.”

“What condition?”

“You.” Han Sung Mi inhaled a deep breath. “He wants you to marry his daughter, Kim Seol Hyun.”

Min Ho was stunned for a moment before a loud chuckle escaped Min Ho’s throat as he shook his head in disbelief. This is really far from what he expects his parents will ask him to do. A condition? A marriage? Really? Because of their business, they are willing to do anything. They neglected their family, neglected their children. They don’t care how lonely their children were and don’t even feel anything over the death of their only daughter due to their negligence. He thought they would at least have a tiny bit of guilt in their heart after Soo Bin’s death but he guess he was wrong. Because of their own benefits they even think of selling their son off now. He couldn’t help but continued to laugh and shake his head.   

Looking at his son’s reaction, Lee Kyung Tae sighed again. “I know this request might be ridiculous to you but you should be aware of the situation in the market now. A new global financial crisis could be on the way and we need to prepare ourselves for the economic collapse. This project is very important to our company.” If they have a choice they wouldn’t want their son to marry a cripple too.

When his parents were done talking and were looking at him for an answer, Min Ho stopped laughing and his face turned dangerously cold. He wanted to use his voice and scream at them. But he knows it will only be a waste of energy. They will not listen because they never did. That is the reason why he chose to hide his voice, hide himself in his own world. There are too many communication barriers between them. If this conversation happened few months ago, he would have smashed the coffee table in front of them into pieces by now. His heart would be broken once again and he is not sure what he will do to release his anger.

But now… he doesn’t want to waste any energy or time on them. They don’t worth it. He would rather spend his time with someone that love him and care for him. Selling off his marriage for a business? He laughed louder. For him, having Shin Hye by his side is already enough and nothing else matters.

Without wanting to waste any more time on this meaningless discussion, Min Ho stood up off the couch, turned around and walked towards the door.

“Min Ho!” Han Sung Mi called out from behind. “We are not done yet.”

Min Ho stopped at the door, as his hands were both clenched into tight fists. a deep and heavy breath, Min Ho gritted his teeth and let his voice escape from his throat for the first time in front of his parents in 16 years.

“I’m not a kid anymore. You don’t have the right to control my life.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

Looking at the family photo sitting on the study table, Min Ho heaved a deep sigh as he moved his hand up, pressing his fingers to his temple, trying to massage away the headache that was killing him. The conversation he had with his parents two weeks ago was still disturbing his mind. Although he tried very hard to convince himself that he is not affected by them but in fact, he was. The China project, the future of the company and most important of all… his parents. As the president of the company, he has to bear a significant responsibility and accountability within the organization. It should be his job to take care and maintained the stability of the whole company and all the staffs.

He would listen and work together with his parents if they really think the project is so important for the growth of the company. They just need to discuss with him and use the right way to do it. But they didn’t. Instead of seeking for his opinion they decided to sell him off by betraying his marriage, his happiness without consider about his feeling. He couldn’t understand why they are so selfish. As parents, they should protect and care for their children, not using them for their own interest.

After that incident, there are no calls or any action from them yet. He doesn’t expect them to give up so easily because he knows his parents very well. Once they decided on something, nobody could change their mind. But they were surprisingly quiet this time. Maybe they were still shock at the fact that he could actually speak. He didn’t turn around to look at them when he spoke in front of them that day but with the sudden silence, he knows they were shock. With his bad mood like this, he needs a therapy session from his girlfriend very badly. But where is she?

Another deep sigh escaped his lips as his eyes shifted to his phone. It has been more than a week now since the last time he saw Shin Hye. He called her, texted her but most of the time, she will just replied telling him that she is busy with work. Is she really that busy? But why does he feel like she was trying to avoid him? He could sense something strange about her especially the day when he came back from his parents’ house. She acted weirdly but no matter how many times he ask, she just wouldn’t tell him what is wrong with her. He called her several times this morning and just like the other days, she didn’t answer his call. He wanted to call her hospital and check but he doesn’t want to disturb her work or make her feel pressure being with him. But everything was still fine when they first came back from Montmartre. He doesn’t understand what happened to her and he doesn’t feel good about her changes.

Just when he wanted to call her again, Kim So Eun knocked on his study room’s door. She let out her sweetest smile when she saw Min Ho. She is in a very good mood today or to be exact, she is in a very good mood when she opened the door and saw the person who came to see Min Ho just now. She wasn’t sure whether it was because of what she told Shin Hye that day or not but she is very satisfied with how the thing turns out.

“Sajang-nim, your psychiatrist is here for your therapy session.” She said.

Min Ho raised his brows in confusion. His psychiatrist? Does she mean Shin Hye? He glanced at the calendar and it was Thursday, his usual schedule for therapy. But he thought the therapy session was ended when they came back from Montmartre. And why is his secretary look so happy? She always showed her sour face whenever Shin Hye was here. Why didn’t Shin Hye call him first before she come? She doesn’t usually come without telling him.

But whatever the reason behind all those questions, he is more than happy that he could finally see her. She always appears whenever he needs her the most. Nodding his head with a light smile, he gave So Eun a signal to let Shin Hye in.

So Eun stepped to the side, turning her head and smiled at the person who was standing beside her. She pushed the door wider and let the person walk into Min Ho’s room.

The smile on Min Ho’s face disappeared instantly the moment he saw the person stepped in. It’s not his girlfriend, Shin Hye. It’s a man, a man that he never seen before. His face immediately darkened as the man slowly walked towards him.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Min Ho-sshi. My name is Yoo Yeon Seok, your new psychiatrist.” Yeon Seok introduced himself with a polite smile.

Min Ho met his eyes and felt a sharp pang hit his chest at the same time. He was right. Something is definitely wrong with Shin Hye.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Inform the patient that his next visit will be scheduled to 26th next month.” Shin Hye signed the patient’s medical card mindlessly and passed the card to the nurse without looking at her. “You can call the next patient in now.”

The nurse looked at her and smiled awkwardly. “Hmmm… but Doctor Park… 26th next month is a Sunday. And the patient just now… that was the last patient for today.” She said very softly, trying not to sound offending. Something is not right with Doctor Park today. She seems distracted and couldn’t concentrate on her work for the past few days.

Shin Hye stared at the nurse and let out a weak smile. “Eo… hmmm… sorry. I think I overlook the calendar. Let’s put it on 27th then.”

The nurse nodded but still stood there, looking at her with a concern gaze. “Doctor Park, are you okay?”

Taking a deep breath, Shin Hye looked up at the nurse and smiled again. “I’m okay. I’m just… tired.” She lied. It must be very obvious because even the nurse noticed her abnormal behaviour.   

“Since there is no more patient left, Doctor Park should go home to take a rest. I’ll go out to let the patient know about the date of his next visit.” Giving her another smile, the nurse bowed politely before walking out from Shin Hye’s room.

After the nurse was out of sight, Shin Hye leaned her back against the chair with her eyes staring at her phone blankly. It’s almost 3pm now and she think Yeon Seok should have already reach Min Ho’s house. She wonders how he would react when he saw Yeon Seok.

If she has a choice, she doesn’t want to end things like this with him. But everything was a mistake. It was her fault for crossing the line and fall in love with her patient. Lee Min Ho is not an ordinary man that she can just fall in love. He have a complicated past, a prominent status and an unusual future that she wouldn’t be able to catch up.

Moreover, their relationship didn’t start like normal people. It was built under the attractiveness of each other, the excitement that they brought to each other and the desirability to want each other. The freshness will slowly fade away as time pass. When it was gone, the relationship will eventually break apart. Maybe Yeon Seok was right, maybe So Eun was right and maybe his parents were right. She is just a lifebuoy, a shadow of his sister and a woman that painted his grey life with some colour. She is just a… passer-by.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Park Shin Hye imnida.” Shin Hye bowed politely at Lee Kyung Tae and Han Sung Mi once she entered the large and beautiful Lee Mansion. When she received Lee Kyung Tae’s call yesterday asking to meet her, she hesitated for a moment before she agrees to come. Her heart felt extremely heavy because she wasn’t sure she should come to see them without telling Min Ho. She understands him. If he finds out about this secret meeting, he will definitely freak out.

“Nice meeting you, Doctor Park. Please take a seat and make yourself at home.” Lee Kyung Tae said with a smile before turning to the maid and instructed her to get some drinks for them.

“I didn’t know Doctor Park is so young and beautiful. You must be one of Professor Kim’s best students since he trust you enough to pass my son’s case to you. We know how difficult his case is.” Han Sung Mi said, smiling at Shin Hye who was now sitting in front of them.

“Professor Kim is a very experience and good doctor. I learn a lot from him and felt grateful for his guidance. It was my pleasure to take over the case from him.” Shin Hye replied politely.

Han Sung Mi nodded before she spoke again. “We appreciate your time for coming here to meet us today. The reason we asked Doctor Park to come here is to discuss about Min Ho’s condition. As you know, he has not been talking for the past 16 years. And even though Professor Kim has treated him for so many years, we still couldn’t see any improvement in him.”

Shin Hye looked up at the older woman for a moment and wasn’t sure she should tell them about Min Ho’s latest condition. He can already speak now and stopped having nightmare at night. But then, she also remembered Min Ho said he doesn’t want his parents to know he could speak. She shouldn’t be the one who tell them or at least she doesn’t think she is in the right position to tell them about it.

“I truly understand your concern about Lee Min Ho-sshi. Selective Mutism is a very complex type of mental disorder. We need a lot of time and patience in order to help him. But looking at his current situation…” She paused and forced out a light smile. “… he is stable and his condition is positive.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” Han Sung Mi smiled. “With his condition like this, we were so worried and wasn’t sure it will be okay for him to have a wedding so soon.”

Wedding?! Shin Hye looked at them as her face instantly went pale. What are they talking about? What wedding? “Wedding? Y-You mean… Lee Min Ho-sshi’s wedding?” She asked in a shaky voice.

“Yes. He is getting married soon and his future wife is Kim Seol Hyun, the daughter of Kim Byung Hoon from Kim Corporation.” Han Sung Mi replied.

Kim Seol Hyun? Who is Kim Seol Hyun? Kim Byung Hoon from Kim Corporation? She never heard anything about them before. She just came back from UK and knows nothing about the business world. If Min Ho wasn’t her patient, she doesn’t even know the existence of Lee Corporation. But a wedding? It’s impossible. Min Ho didn’t say anything about it at all. Inhaling another deep breath, Shin Hye averted her gaze, breathing hard and tried to calm herself down.

Lee Kyung Tae smiled at her. “You are the first person who know about it because we haven’t announced the news to the public yet. A wedding between the heirs of two large corporations will attract a lot of attention from the public. We need to plan everything carefully before the announcement.”

Looking at the shock expression on Shin Hye’s face, Han Sung Mi smirked. Her shock reaction was expected. “Min Ho and Seol Hyun has known each other for a long time. They were childhood friends and like each other very much. In fact, if Soo Bin’s accident didn’t happen, they should have already married. This marriage was planned very long time ago.”    

Shin Hye looked up at Han Sung Mi as her hands were both clenching into tight fists. She said the marriage was planned long time ago? Is that mean Min Ho already know about it all this while but didn’t tell her? If he knows he will be marrying Kim Seol Hyun then why did he still want to be with her? Everything he said to her in Montmartre… was it just a lie? No. It’s not like that. He wouldn’t lie to her. He might treat her as a lifebuoy or a shadow of his sister but she can feel his love for her. Those confessions he made couldn’t be a lie.

Taking another deep breath, she braved herself and looked straight to Min Ho’s parents. “L-Lee Min Ho-sshi never mention… anything about the wedding to me before. I think… there must be… some misunderstanding in between. He… I mean this is not possible because… we are dating.” She admitted bravely.

Although the grin was still maintained on Han Sung Mi’s face, but her eyes turned dark, clouded with rage. She didn’t expect Shin Hye to be so shameless and dare to admit it out loud in front of them. So this is the woman that caused Min Ho to refuse the marriage. She turned to her husband and Lee Kyung Tae nodded his head, giving her the permission to take the next step. She then took something from the table beside her and slowly placed it on the coffee table in front of them.

Shin Hye followed her gaze and looked down at the thing she put on the coffee table. The moment she saw the photo lying in front of her, she widened her eyes in shock. It was a photo of her and Min Ho in Montmartre… holding hands. They have been followed? “You… you sent someone to follow us?” She asked in disbelief.

Han Sung Mi smirked again. “At first, we wanted to settle this with you in the most courteous way so that Doctor Park will not feel awkward and embarrass. But looking at the situation now, it doesn’t look like Doctor Park will just leave my son without a fight.”

“No, this is not what I mean.” Shin Hye tried to explain herself. “I’m just…”

“Let me get this straight to the point.” Han Sung Mi cut her off, not interested with what she wanted to say. “We know your relationship with Min Ho is not as simple as just a doctor and a patient. Although we appreciate the effort you took to treat my son and even successfully make him speak again, but we are not too happy with the way you used and your unprofessionalism towards this case.”

Shin Hye creased her brows. “You… you know Min Ho… can speak?” But how? Min Ho said his parents don’t need to know about it. Did he lie to her… again?

“He is our son. We know everything.” Lee Kyung Tae cut in, looking at her. “To be honest, I’m very impress with your ability to do something that even Professor Kim couldn’t do it. If I know a beautiful woman could make him heal faster, I would find a female psychiatrist earlier to save all the hassles.” He let out a sly grin. “I’m not interested to hear your excuses of why you want to get close to my son. Money… status… whatever it is, I don’t really care because your wish will never come true. I’m sure Doctor Park is a smart person. I think you should know that your path as a doctor would not be smooth if I will to make a complaint that you are trying to seduce your patient. But of course, this is the last thing we want it to happen. We don’t want to make this into a big issue and affect Doctor Park’s career. As long as you agree to leave my son, I will guarantee you that the hospital will not know about your unethical behaviour in your job.”

There was a long deafening silence between them after Lee Kyung Tae finished talking. Shin Hye tightened her fists further as the nails bites into her skin. She needs to feel the pain to distract her anxiety and keep herself calm. She can clearly feel her body began to tremble, her breathing became heavy and sweat started to bead on her forehead. Biting the soft flesh of her lower lip, she fought hard with the panic that wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter