A Lie

Silent Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Where have all my courage and bravery gone? I used to be a strong and a fearless person. That was why I chose a career as a psychiatrist. I’m not afraid to meet any kind of people even when if they are emotionally unhealthy. When my father passed away, I tell myself that I have to stay strong for him, for my mother and no matter what happen, I will hold on and keep going. I will not let anything to beat me down… not again. But why? Why did my persistence waver, just like a wall crumbling down after I met him?

Everything was turning up side down now. I was supposed to be the captain sailing the ship and take the lead for the whole journey. But now… it became the other way round. He was the one who control the whole situation, like he was leashing me around.  Whenever I was being with him, I felt like standing in the middle of a cross road, lost of direction. I was confused, struggled and a lot of conflicts battling in my heart. He accused me for trying to seduce him. Did I? If I remember correctly, he was the one who keep moving forward, leaving me no way to retreat at all.    

The moment I saw him at the airport, my heart raced and it pound incredibly fast. I saw the obvious surprise in his eyes. He never thought that I would still appear in front of him after what he did to me. He thought I would be scared of him. But the little stunt he pulled in his house the other day indeed brought me a lot of damages. He did not only frighten me but my little growing feelings towards him were also completely destroyed by him. Although I finally found out the reason he did that but it was like a wake up call to me at the same time. He doesn’t like me. He was just locked in his own world for too long and when he met someone different, someone that he never encounters before, he felt attracted to the new excitement.

I felt embarrassed, extremely embarrassed with my unprofessional as a doctor and lack of self-restraint as a woman. What is wrong with me? How can I fall in love so easily, so shamelessly? He is my patient… a person that I should help, heal and take care of. He is not a person that I thought I could give him happiness, spend my life with him together. Our relationship should just remain as doctor-patient only.

I’m giving myself a final chance to prove that I could handle this case professionally. I knew it would not be easy this time. His birthday is a date that he hated the most and he could lose all his control and hurt anyone that go near to him. I wouldn’t deny that I’m scared. Staying so near to him when his emotion instability was at his worst, I dare not to imagine what will happen. But although I’m scared, a part of me is still willing to take the risk and keep him accompanied during the most torturing time for him. I don’t want to leave him alone. Just one day… let me stay by his side and let him know that he is not alone.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

After about an hour drive from the airport, they finally reached Montmartre. But the place that the car stopped makes Park Shin Hye’s brows creased in confusion. They were stopped at a small and old street, covered by typical French buildings where she couldn’t see any hotel around. What? Are they staying in a motel? But how can it be possible. He is so rich. She has already prepared sufficient money to spend in this expensive place with this rich man.

She glanced at Min Ho but his face was expressionless. Without bother to tell her anything, he just climbed down the car and walked to the man that followed him from the airport. He wrote a note to him and he nodded obediently. Something is not right. She quickly gets down from the car too and when the driver finished unloading their luggage, both of them gave her a polite bow and climbed back into the car, lost in sight within the next second.

“T-They…” Shin Hye turned back to Min Ho and a lot of questions clouding her large beautiful eyes. “They… I mean where are they going? I thought they are suppose to bring us to the hotel.”

A smirk spread across Min Ho’s face as he looked at her. “Hotel? Did I ever say that I’m staying in a hotel?”  

Shin Hye creased her brows again. “Not staying in a hotel? Then where are we… I mean where are you staying?” The address that Professor Kim gave her is just the place name and it doesn’t mention about any hotel names. She just assumed that there would be hotel around there.

Min Ho’s grin grew wider when he saw the worries expression on her face. She wants to stay and keep him accompanied, right? Fine. He will let her stay close to him and keep him accompanied every second from now onwards. Without bothering to answer her questions, he took his luggage and begins to walk away. Shin Hye was left dumbfounded for a moment before she was brought back to her senses. She quickly pulled her luggage and followed closely behind him.

Shin Hye scanned around the place with a wary gaze as they walked into a small alley in between tall concrete walls of some old buildings. After about 15 minutes, Min Ho stopped in front of a three-storey house. She gazed up and took a clearer look at the place. The building is very old and it seems like there are a lot of households in it. Each room has a balcony and there were clothes hanging everywhere.

Taking a deep breath, she turned to Min Ho. “W-We… we are staying here?”

“Not we.” Min Ho mouthed silently as he tried very hard to suppress a smile on his face. “I’m staying here.”

Shin Hye glanced at the house and then back at him, biting her lip. “Here? Is this some kind of motel?” But she didn’t see any signboard on it.

Min Ho inhaled deeply as he crossed his arms across his chest, looking straight at her. “This is not a hotel or a motel. I’m here because this is the place where I always stay when I come here.” He paused and smirked. “I told you that you would regret if you insist to come with me. But it’s not late to change your mind now. There is a hotel at the main road and I think you can still get a room there since now is not a peak season for tourists. Or you can just get the soonest flight and go back to Korea today.”

Shin Hye widened her eyes. She came all the way here for him, not for holiday. If she stays in the hotel and leave him alone here, then what’s the difference for staying in Seoul? And the moment she decided to come here, she won’t give up so easily. No matter what happen, she will not be going back to Korea without accomplish anything. “I… I can stay here with you.” She said stubbornly.

A chuckle escaped Min Ho’s lips. “Stay here with me? Do you know what is this place? All the houses in this street were occupied by the artists in Montmartre. And in case you don’t know, 90% of the artists here are male in this house.” He pointed at the building in front of them. “Except for the lady landlord, all the people inside are men. They are poor and most of them are erts. Even if you don’t mind, as far as I concern, the rooms are all fully rented. You won’t be able to…”

“Then I’ll stay in your room.” Shin Hye cut him off.

“What?” Min Ho looked at her like she is some kind of alien.

“I said I’ll stay in the same room with you. I stayed in your house before, right? Even though it was only one night but I was alright. About the other men that stay in this house… I can just stay inside your room and I will go out whenever you are out. I don’t think it will be a problem.” She smiled slightly; pretend that she was not affected by it. “Don’t worry. I won’t disturb you. I can sleep on a couch if there is any or I can even sleep on the floor. I will pay back the landlord for my stay. I won’t give you any problem. I promise.” Shin Hye said, looking at him with an expectant gaze.

Min Ho held her gaze for a moment before he let out a defeated sigh. To be frank, he was just trying to challenge her. If she really agrees to stay in the hotel, he will also move there with her. He won’t let her to stay in a hotel alone. But staying in this house with him? He wasn’t too sure. Just by thinking about all the French men that stay in this house, he can foresee the danger that would surround her.

But for him to stay in the hotel is not a good idea either. When that ‘day’ comes, he needs a place like this to hide himself. He might make a scene and hotel is not a good place for him to lose his control. That was the reason why he never stays in a hotel whenever he came to Montmartre.   

Without giving her a reply, he turned around and entered the house. Shin Hye let out a small victory smile before she quickly took her luggage, walked into the house behind him.

The house is large, dark, with only minimal sunlight seeping through the wooden windows. They were standing at a place like a living room and there is an old lady who was sitting on a rocking chair. So, she is the lady landlord that Min Ho told her just now.

The old lady’s lips curved into a smile when she saw Min Ho. She slowly pulled herself up and before she could reach Min Ho, he already walked towards her. She looked very happy as she held onto his arm and said something to him in French. Min Ho smiled slightly as he nodded. He then took out his note pad and wrote something on it.

Shin Hye was surprised. She didn’t know that Min Ho could understand French. The old lady turned to look at her after she read what he wrote. Shin Hye nodded at her politely before the old lady looked back at Min Ho and said something in French again, something that she doesn’t understand. Min Ho smiled but that smile looked awkward. But although she doesn’t understand, she can roughly guess they were talking about her.  

“Follow me.” Min Ho mouthed at her when he was done talking to the lady landlord. Without giving her a chance to ask or reply, he made his way to the stairs, going up to third floor. Shin Hye looked around curiously and when Min Ho stopped and took out a key, she stared at the number on the old wooden door. 26. The room was the last and only one located at the most corner in the hallway.

Min Ho is a rich man. She was very curious to see what kind of room do this old house have that could attract him to stay here. But before he could open the door, a tall French guy came out from the room beside and when he saw Min Ho, he walked to him and hit his arm, greeted him in French. They seem to know each other.

“Min Ho!” He called him before looking down at Shin Hye, and smiled mischievously. He then said something else but she doesn’t understand a single word. She saw Min Ho gave him a glare and the French guy keep quiet almost instantly. And in the next second, Min Ho held her hand tightly and pulled her to his back, like shielding her from some kind of danger.

As if understand Min Ho’s silent signal, the French guy chuckled. “Très bien.” He gave a flirtatious smile to Shin Hye before he walked away. A deep sigh was heard from Min Ho as he turned around, glaring at her.

“Wae?” Shin Hye asked innocently. She didn’t do anything.

He heaved another deep sigh. “You are creating problem to me.”

Did she? But what did she do? Shin Hye looked at him, clueless.

 

The room was around 500 square feet big with very old painting on the walls. Just like what she saw outside the house, the room was connected with a small balcony. There is a small double bed in the middle, an old couch beside it and a small simple wardrobe at the side. A small desk was placed at the other side of the bed, with some sketch books stacked on it. There is also a mini kitchen with some utensils and a small fridge. She saw another small wooden door at the side of the kitchen and she guessed it should be the bathroom. 

Shin Hye turned around when she felt someone standing near to her. When she looked up and met Min Ho’s intense gaze, she gulped nervously.

“You sure you want to stay here with me? It’s not too late to get a room in a hotel nearby.”

She pursed her lips. “I… I like it here. The place is… comfy and spacious. There is even a balcony there. It feel so good with the wind blowing into the room.” She paused and pointed at the small couch. “And the couch looks comfortable. I could sleep there while you sleep on the bed.” She smiled but it faded when his eyes still glaring at her. “I… I want to stay here.” She whispered.

Min Ho’s eyes darkened as he slowly walked closer to her with a steady slowness that made her moved away for every footstep forward. Shin Hye widened her eyes and her legs naturally stepped backward. Without realizing it, her back slammed against the wall and no way for her to escape anymore. His hands were placed against the wall, caging her with his body. Their face were so close together and their lips were almost touch. She let out a nervous gasp as her teeth sunk into her bottom lips.

“Do you know how dangerous you are for staying in the same room with me like this? Have you really forgotten on what happened that day in my study room, on my study table? With only you and me staying here at night, I can’t guarantee that I will stay in control and not drag you to my bed…” He smirked. “… eat you alive.” He mouthed the last silent threatening words right against her lips.

Feeling his warm breath fanning against her face, Shin Hye’s face reddened in deep blush, uncomfortable with their closeness. He is doing it again. He is trying to intimidate her with his seduction. She will not fall for it again. Taking a deep breath, she balled her trembling hands into tight fists and looked into his eyes.

“No matter how you try to scare me, I’m staying. I admit that you scare the hell out of me but… I’ll not run away again this time.” She paused and smiled sadly. “You won’t drag me to your bed anyway.”

Min Ho pulled back slightly, waiting for her to continue.

“You don’t like me.” She said softly. “So, you won’t touch me. Being with you… I will only feel safe.”   

A pang of hurt hit him hard when he saw her eyes brimmed with sadness. She thought he don’t like her? So, this was the result he got after trying to scare her in his house. You are wrong, stupid woman. Min Ho shouted inside his heart. He is not trying to scare her. Every part of his body is screaming that he wants her… very badly. If he lost his control, he might really do something that will make both of them regret.

“Let me stay.” Shin Hye whispered, looking pleadingly at him. “I won’t stay here for long. Just… five days.” She raised her five fingers up at him. “After your… birthday, and when I make sure that you are okay, I will go back to Korea. I just want to stay here with you on that day. Please…”

That day? His birthday? Which mean tomorrow? Min Ho sighed heavily before he pressed his lips into a hard line. Again… she defeated him again. With her beautiful eyes looking at him like this, with her sweet addicting scent distracting his rational senses, all his hard work of pushing her away just went down the drain. He doesn’t think he could ever let her go again.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

  

“Where are we going?” Shin Hye asked, panting heavily as she tried to catch up his speedy pace. She stopped and swallowed hard, looking at the long stairs in front of them. Biting her lip hard, she pressed her hand against her flat stomach. It was growling inside. She just eats a little in the plane and with all the fuss since she met him in the airport, she is famished.

Min Ho turned around, trying to suppress a smile when he saw her exhausted face. It was almost 4pm now and they have not eaten a single thing since morning. He knows she must be very tired and hungry. He is not torturing her or trying to . In fact, he was bringing her to a well-known restaurant nearby and since Montmartre isn’t a big place, people usually walk around here.

Not replying her again, he grasped her hand and walked up the stairs together with him. His gesture surprised Shin Hye but her lips uncontrollably curled into a small smile. It might not mean anything to him but for her, it sweetened her mood in an instant. She guessed… he don’t really hate her like she thought he was after all.

They stopped at a café that called Les Deux Moulins. Shin Hye remembered seeing this online. This restaurant is well known with its two windmills at the front and got even more famous after the Paris movie Amelie. It was one of the nicest café in the neighbourhood. They were lucky that now wasn’t the peak season for tourists because usually this place is always busy and filled with people. They even got a window seat, facing a wonderful section of the Rue Lepic. It feels so good to watch the local people passed by.

Min Ho was very quiet throughout the whole meal and she doesn’t want to disturb his peacefulness. She promised to stay quiet and not disturb him. After they finished their late lunch, Min Ho just leisurely walked along the street without doing anything. Although he didn’t look at her or interact with her, their hands were firmly entwined together. As long as they were walking on the street in the public, his hand will never leave hers.

“Where are we… going?” Shin Hye braved herself to break the deafening silence. They have been walking for more than an hour now and the sky is turning dark.

His steps falter and he stopped walking. Turning towards her, he mouthed silently. “Is this the first time you came to Paris?”

Shin Hye nodded. “There was a plan of coming here when I was still studying in England last time. But the trip got cancelled because one of my friends couldn’t make it.”

Min Ho smiled slightly. “Most of the women love to come to Paris because it was said that this place is a romantic city. I thought you didn’t come before because you are waiting for your love one to bring you here one day.”

Shin Hye inhaled a soft breath. “First, I’m not most of the women. Although Paris is very beautiful but for me, if I love that person, no matter where we are, that place will always be a romantic place to me.” She paused and smiled. “Second, the love one that you thought I was waiting… I don’t need him to bring me here. As long as he is healthy, he is happy, I don’t mind where he will bring me to. Staying beside him is the only place that I want to be.”

Holding her meaningful gaze for a long moment, he couldn’t bring himself to tear his eyes away from her. Inside of him, he wanted to tell her that his heart is the most romantic place she could stay and he is willing to be her love one, and stay by her side. But can he? No he can’t. He is a bad influence to her.

He faked a smile. “Then you must be very disappointed for being here with me now. Instead of standing in front of the beautiful Eiffel tower with your love one, you are stuck in this old and boring villag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter