EIGHT

Masquerade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junmyeon closed his eyes just as some clouds let through a few bright beams of sunlight, illuminating him from the back. I saw his silhouette raise one hand, brushing over its eyes.

“Just promise me one thing, okay?” he asked quietly and I started biting the inside of my cheeks, wrapping my arms around my body.

“Hmh” I hummed and he let out a long sigh.

“Don't be like your brother. Don't fall too hard too fast, you hear me?”

His voice was serious, but his eyes were soft. He was worried that I'd get heartbroken.

Out of no where, I walked up to Junmyeon, wrapping my arms around his body and squeezing him tight.

I was surprised by my own actions, but I enjoyed it when he hugged me back, placing a quick peck on the top of my head. He pulled away and held me one arm length away, a small smile brightening up his face.

“You owe me, sister” he said, let go off of me and dug for his phone.

~~

A while later, I took a look at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a simple dress and had my hair up in a messy bun.

My parents were of the opinion that a girl needed to dress girly and always look pretty and cute and not reveal too much skin. I was doing this just for my brother, being honest. He meant much more to me than they did. He had basically been the one who raised me.

As the door bell rang, I took a deep breath and put on my widest, most fake smile I had in my repertoire. I bounced down the stairs, making my loose strands of hair jump – like a little girl's.

“Father!” I called happily. “Mother! I'm glad to see you!”

When I arrived, I hugged both of them tightly, ignoring my mother's judging gaze as she eyed me up and down.

“How have you been?” I smiled, my cheeks already hurting from the pretending.

“Good” my mother answered briefly, her voice as cold as her eyes.

Both of them turned around to talk to Junmyeon – their golden boy – and as I was only faced by their backs, my smile dropped and I started chewing on the insides of my cheeks, my arms slung around my body in a tight embrace.

“We'll be having a guest over for dinner” Junmyeon started to explain as he offered our mother his arm to lead her into the living room. “He is a new business partner I made.”

“Ah, that's nice, son” father said, proudly patting my brother's back. “I'm getting more and more convinced that you will lead our business to success.”

“Thank you very much, Sir!” Junmyeon bowed 90 degrees and we continued on into the living room.

After some time spendt talking about the family business, my father and brother went upstairs for some in depth business talk, leaving me alone with my charming mother. She looked me up and down once again, before clicking her tongue.

“You still didn't find a man, did you?” she asked coldly. It was okay – I was already used to it. I slung my arms around my body and leaned back into the soft cushions.

“No, I haven't” I answered, and I could see her closing her eyes.

“Of course you haven't” she sighed. “No smart business man would ever volu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter