THREE

Masquerade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was just about to turn back around to take in more of the nice view in front of me, when thee doors flung open again. A smile snuck on my lips, as I slowly spun my head around, expecting it to be the mysterious masked man.

“That was quick!” I exclaimed.

But instead of a crooked smile, I was greeted by my brother, who seemed rather confused.

“Quick? I've been looking for you for half an hour now. That's not quick....” he said and put his hands in his pockets. I've never seen him look so casual.

“You...you've been looking for me?” I stuttered, feeling like a total fool. He nodded lightly and came to me. “Why?”

“We're leaving.”

Junmyeon sounded like there was no discussion whether our departure could be postponed or not. I bit my bottom lip as he opened the door for me and led me through the ball room with his hand at my back. Maybe I could fake right and break left, I thought, but threw the idea away s I noticed the stern expression on my brothers face. Something seemed to bother him.

Before we walked out of the front door, I threw one last glance over my shoulder, seeing the wing doors swing shut. Pressing my jaws together, I looked back straight and sighed. I felt sorry – for more than just one reason. I felt sorry that I just left. I felt sorry for not spending more time with him. But most of all, I regretted not finding out who he was.

The car ride to our home passed by quietly. As soon as the driver had started the engine, tiredness had hit me like a wrecking ball and I had looked out the window with half-closed eyes, trying to follow the night lights as they flew past the window.

I dragged my tired limbs up the stairs to my bedroom. It took me a while to notice that my brother was close behind me. I turned around, holding onto my door frame.

“I don't need a guard, Suho” I mumbled. “This is only my bed room.”

Turning on the lights, I made a sweeping gesture with my hand.

“See? No murderers, no burglars. No monsters under my bed.”

He let out an amused snort, a smile lingering around the corners of his mouth.

“It's been a while since you've called me that” he stated softly.

It was true. When I was younger, I always called my brother Suho - my guardian angel. But things have changed. We are older now – still close, but I wasn't looking up to him anymore as I did when I was 12 years old.

I shrugged and took a seat on the edge of my bed, letting my back fall back on my soft sheets. Junmyeon sat next to me and patted my head.

“Did you have fun?” he asked quietly and I nodded.

Both of us stayed silent for a while, only our inhaling and exhaling to be heard.

“I'm curious about something” he then broke the silence.

I propped myself up on my elbows and blinked at him. “Shoot.”

“When you were outside...were you waiting for someone, by chance?”

I in my lips to suppress a smile and plopped back onto the mattress.

“Perhaps...”

“Who was it?” he asked, seeming honestly interested.

I never brought home any boys – or at least none that my family knew about. With our parents away all the time and Junmyeon spending most of his time at the bank or in his home office, nobody never noticed anyone. It always used to be like this.

I came home late after a party, smuggled a guy in, snuck a bottle of booze upstairs and in the morning, he would be gone before the sun rose. My brother caught me one time, but he let it slip since he was worried I'd never find anyone.

Especially not someone good enough for him. That's why he always tried to set me up with one of his good friends. It was just that I didn't care about them one bit.

I shrugged and let out a long, desperate sigh.

“Don't know. You dragged me home before I could find out” I mumbled and he let out a small laugh.

“I'm sorry about that.” He sounded sincere. Maybe because he was of the opinion that the men on that party were all worth my time. He suddenly leaned over me a kissed my cheek lightly.

“Sleep tight, baby sister” he tease

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter