ELEVEN

Masquerade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The kiss didn't last long; only mere seconds passed in between our lips brushing against each other, and his soft grip on my shoulder gently pushing me back.

His eyes were still closed and his jaws clenched tight. A little color had crept up his neck and into his cheeks, making him appear a lot younger. His facial features, though, were very serious, so were his eyes when he opened them as he was still holding me away from him.

“Did...did I do something wrong?” I asked quietly, my gaze fixed at his chest, which was sinking and rising heavily.

It seemed like he was holding back for some reason “I'm sorry” he hummed through gritted teeth. He gently shove me down from his lap, placing me next to him with a little distance in between us.

Without the warmth of his body around me, I suddenly shivered and he pulled the rug up to my chin. My eyes cautiously flickered up to his face.

I was really confused. What was going through his mind? Why did he kiss me and shove me away just a second later?

His face, which was full of energy just a moment ago, was sunken now. It turned a grey-ish shade, bringing out his dark circles even more. His eyes seemed empty and there was no hint of a smile playing around his lips like it usually does.

“Jiyong-ah” I said, ripping him out of whatever thought he had been in. “Is everything okay?”

A smile appeared on his face – a forced one, which didn't reach his eyes. I wrinkled my forehead as I lightly touched his arm. “Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just....” “Tired” I finished off for him. I knew this excuse, since it is the one I always used as well.

“It's late” he added, pulling the rug off of us. “I should get you home.” He got up and grabbed his keys. When I didn't bother to follow him, he sighed, a hint of annoyance showing. This has been the first time seeing him like this.

“Are you coming, or do I need to carry you?” he snapped, but he didn't dare to face me.

I got on my feet, anger starting to boil in the pit of my stomach. Whatever his problem was, I didn't feel guilty.

“No, thanks. My feet work just fine” I barked, pushing past him. I quickly slipped into my shoes and opened the front door, turning around to a dumbstruck Jiyong. “Don't bother driving me home. I'll take a cab” I said, and was just about to turn around and slam the door shut, when his fingers encircled my wrist into a tight grip, spinning me to face him.

“No” he mumbled, his voice sounding exhausted. “I pushed your brother's trust enough. I can't let you go by yourself. He would be disappointed.” I scoffed and rolled my eyes. “What is your damn problem Kwon Jiyong?” I breathed to myself. His head shot up, his tiredness now mixed with hurt, but he didn't respond.

~~

Apparently, he didn't say anything at all until he stopped the car in front of my house, the engine still running. “Good night, Kim (Y/N)” he whispered. Our eyes met for a split second before I stepped out of the car. Before closing the door, I turned to face him once more. But “Come home safely” was all I said, before firmly pushing the door shut and heading for the front door.

I fumbled around with my keys, my fingers trembling from the angry tears filling my eyes. I felt his glare at the back of my head, as he waited for me to disappear into the house. I finally found the front door key, unlocked the door and stepped in.

After closing the door, I turned around and slid to the floor with my back against the wall. The engine of Jiyong's car roared up and I heard the car roll off of our property. A second later, the tears, that had been building up, fell down and I angrily brushed them away. Why was I even crying? It wasn't like anything had happened anyway.

~~

The next morning, a woke up to a soft knock on my room door. I sat up, ruffling my hair. “Come in” I called and watched as the door knob turned.

Junmyeon stepped into my room, smiling and snorting as he saw me, my hair sticking out in every direction. “Morning!” he greeted me with affection in his features, He shove my sheets to the side and sat down on my bed next to me.

I brushed over my face with both my hands, ending up rubbing my tired eyes. My hands came off with my smudged eyeliner all over. Last night, I didn't bother to wash my face nor change. I just took of my shoes and slid straight into bed.

“Long night?” my brother smiled and I avoided his eyes. Jiyong was right. We really did push my brother's trust. I suddenly felt very bad. I fumbled around with my fingers while staring at my lap.

“Well, uh...” I started, my voice raspy from the little sleep I got. “I hope he didn't try anything” Junmyeon joked, touching my shoulder. I bit my lip and looked up. His smile slowly fell, leaving a worried expression on his face.

“(Y/N)-ah, did you cry?” he asked, sounding sincerely concerned. As I tried to turn away, he lightly grabbed my chin to take a closer look at me.

“It's nothing” I murmured, wiggling out of his touch and out of my bed as well, stretching my arms up n the air while yawning. “Let's go out for breakfast, okay, oppa?” He pressed his lips to a thin line, but nodded.

While I got ready, my brother waited downstairs. What I didn't now was, that he was busy making a phone call.

~~

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter