Reaching Out To You

Reaching Out To You

Chapter 9

 

"Yul, this time, your vacation is so interesting and dramatic. First, the matchmaking dinner then Jaejoong Oppa and you become friends after spending some special moments together and now, you meet your fiance." Tiffany teased, chuckling.

 

"Oh? And since when was I engaged without my knowledge?"

 

"Your matchmaking partner is also considered as fiance." Tiffany explained innocently.

 

"It's totally different; there's no connection at all. I shouldn't bring you along and also, what special moments, huh? Fany, stop making a mountain out of a molehill." Yuri said, rolling her eyes.

 

"It's more interesting that way, don't you think so?"

 

"Only for you." Yuri snorted.

 

"I'm so sorry I'm late." Changmin apologized profusely, as he took the seat opposite of them.

 

"Its alright Minnie Oppa. We are eating while waiting." Yuri said, making Tiffany raised an eyebrow when she heard what she called him but Yuri just ignored it.

 

"My treat as an apology."

 

"It should be your treat since you promised me when you arranged for me to meet you here. So, it's not counted." Yuri said cheekily.

 

"Wow, you want to eat me up, huh?"

 

"Not interested in you." Yuri said, laughing "I'm more interested in your money."

 

"When you have plenty already?"

 

"Money is never enough." Yuri said, grinning innocently.

 

"First impression can be so deceiving." Changmin said, shaking his head resignedly. When he first saw her, he took an instant liking to her, although at that time, she was very quiet. There was something about her that made people unable to hate her. She made people feel very comfortable. With her around, everything seemed beautiful and great, as if there was no darkness, no trouble at all. It was like in heaven. She gave people a sense of peace. That was why Changmin wanted to know her better, to be friends with her. So, a few days ago, he went looking for her.

 

It didn't take long for her to warm up to him and start chatting like old friends. Her humor, her openness and her friendliness all attracted him. If not because he has her, he guessed he would most likely fall in love with Yuri. Nonetheless, he was glad to know her and meet her.

 

Tiffany was at one side, observing them, their actions and the way they speak and how they got along.

 

"The burrito here is great."

 

"Duh, why would I lie? I have high standards okay?" Changmin declared, proud of his tastes.

 

"I never knew."

 

"Say another word, Yul, and I will make sure you will never get a treat from me again." Changmin said, trying to sound serious and firm.

 

"How could you?" Yuri asked, feigning hurt as she played along.

 

"Excuse me." Tiffany said, coughing deliberately, sensing that her existence was invisible to the both of them. Indeed. Tiffany saw Yuri's sheepish expression, "Oh Oppa, let me introduce to you, my best friend, Tiffany Hwang Miyoung. She's a gossiper so beware of her. Never divulge to her any information more than necessary if you want peace."

 

"Excuse me. I just love to listen to gossip, doesn't mean I'm a gossiper."

 

"Just that alone is already enough."

 

"Is that the way you treat your friend?"

 

"To you, yes."

 

"Yul, we are friends for years now. How could you treat me so cruelly and in such a manner?"

 

"And this is Shim Changmin, don't need me to explain any further, right?"

 

"Please to meet you."

 

"Same here."

 

"And don't think too much, Fany. We are close friends. Well, more like brother and sister. He already has someone in his heart."

 

"A guy?" Tiffany joked lightly.

 

"No, a woman." Yuri answered.

 

Tiffany was relieved hearing Yuri confirmed it. She almost thought they had something more than friendship in their minds from the way they behave just now.

 

"So, what's the matter?" Yuri asked casually, taking a bite of her eighth burrito she ordered.

 

"Didn't you say you want to see her? So here I am. I have nicely invited you here, still have to treat you and yet, you sound so ungrateful." Changmin said, shaking his head.

 

This time, Yuri was more enthusiastic, "Really? Cool. How did you manage to do it? You sure she will be here?"

 

"Of course, she will be because she loves the burrito here." Changmin explained.

 

"Is that how you got to know this place?"

 

Not answering her, Changmin stayed silent before saying, "Just wait and see and you will see her."

 

"I will even if I have to sit here for hours. I must see what kind of woman would be able to catch the heart of this brother of mine." Yuri said, winking "And this meal is free of charge."

 

"It's so nice being a student." Yuri added, grinning "No fixed time when you have to return as long as you finish your lesson for the day and no activities or any assignment due. So, we have all the time to waste, right, Fany?" Chatting with each other merrily, they lost track of time. While they were talking, suddenly a very familiar voice attracted Changmin's attention, "I love the burrito's in this shop. It's one of the best. I'm sure you will love it, too." Just then, the door was pushed open and the sound of the bell placing at the entrance rang whenever someone entered the shop. However, he scowled when he saw a guy beside her, making her laugh and he could see that she enjoyed his company a lot.

 

Noticing his distraction, Yuri followed the line of his vision, "So, is the girl who's chatting happily with the guy beside her, Krystal Jung?" Yuri stressed on the word happily and guy and that earned her a glare from Changmin. Seeing the glare he threw at her, she returned him with a bigger smile which irked Changmin to the core.

 

Turning to looked at Krsytal, Yuri studied her discreetly. It didn't take long for her to take a liking to Krystal. From the way she talk, the way she presented herself and the feeling she gave people, Yuri could sense that Krystal was a great person.

 

As Krystal was standing up, ready to go to the washroom, a little boy about three or five years old came running in her direction and as he ran a bit too fast, he suddenly lost control and almost slipped and fell. Seeing this, Krystal immediately rushed forward and supported him with her arms but the drink in his hand spilled out due to the fall and splashed onto her clothes, causing a stain. A pregnant lady, about eight months, trotted towards them, "Malchin! Look at the mess you have done!" The lady scold, making the little boy lowered his head guiltily.

 

"I'm so sorry." The lady apologized profusely.

 

"Its alright." Krystal said, smiling softly, "The stain can be washed off."

 

"I will pay for the laundry cost." The lady offered.

 

"Its okay. More importantly, your son is fine."

 

"Malchin, quick, thanks this kind big sister! If not for her, your head would have bump on the floor! I told you to be more careful already, see what happen when you didn't listen to mommy?!" The lady chided.

 

Witnessing all of this, Yuri started to liked Krystal even more. Some things couldn't be faked. As Yuri wasn't far away from the scene, she saw it quite clearly. Krystal wasn't annoyed at all. Instead, she showed pure concern towards the small boy and was relieved that he was safe, not minding at all that her clothes were stained. She was really a very nice, gentle woman with a heart of gold.

 

The pregnant woman and the small boy thanked her and then left while the guy she was with came over and expressed his concern and checked if she was fine. After assuring him that she was fine, Krystal went to the washroom.

 

Tiffany saw it, too.

 

"Oppa, do you think you are good enough for her?" Yuri ridiculed lightly, "I think she's a little too good for you." Not helping at all, Tiffany added, "I think the guy beside her is better than you."

 

"Yul, Tiffany." Changmin said, glaring at them, yet unable to do anything to them.

 

"Yes?" They chorused cheerfully.

 

"Shut up."

 

"Why? Can't tolerate the truth?"

 

"How can it be considered one when all these were just speculations?" Changmin retaliate, "Whatever it is, don't be fooled by her gentleness and kindness. If she thinks she is that typical kind of person that you could easily bully or some soft woman that could be easily controlled, then you are wrong. She has a strong will and a stubborn freak in her."

 

With a faint smile, Changmin thought of those moments when she went against him, refusing to obey orders and insisting that she was right. Not during meeting but when she went to find him personally and had a discussion with him in his office. At least she knew how to consider the situation first, not so reckless. Which boss would forgive such impudence in their employees? None other than him. He had to admit he was biased because he quite enjoyed seeing her confronting him and also, because she held a special place in his heart. So naturally, he would forgive her in whatever she did.

 

"Really? That's great. At least it proves that she has some intelligence. I can't wait to get to know her." Yuri said, her voice full of excitement and enthusiasm.

 

"You better not screw it up!" Changmin warned.

 

"Why would I? You are my brother. Of course, I want to help you." Yuri said, looking at him innocently.

 

Changmin snorted, expressing his skepticism towards the words she said.

 

"If I successfully matchmake her and you together, will I get any big reward in return?" Yuri inquired curiously, "You have a plan?"

 

"Those can be considered later on. Right now, I just need you to answer me a yes or no."

 

"It depends on your performance." Changmin said, not daring to be too hopeful. Bigger hope, bigger disappointment.

 

"I will take that as a yes then." Yuri said, grinning broadly.

 

"Seriously Oppa, I'm surprised you are actually interested in such a girl. I thought you like those pretty, y, brainless type of women, with good body and figure and can satisfy your needs. Like those models, actresses and famous social babe you dated."

 

Yuri had seen his picture in those gossip magazines. Large size photo, staring right in front of her at the cover page. Initially, she was ignorant about it and didn't care until he came over that day and they became very close friends, secretly god-brother and god-sister. She hadn't told her parents about it yet. Then one day, in Tiffany's room, she happened to spot Tiffany's favourite magazine with his photos on it and started to read the article about it, asking Tiffany about it too, and even read some past issues. It didn't take much for her to guess what kind of person he was, the type of guy she detests most. Fortunately, he was her brother and she wasn't interested in him in that way. She accepted as it was, not sparing him from her teasing and mocking though. Her feminist side played the better of her.

 

"Are you complimenting me for my good tastes or criticizing me for my shallowness?" Changmin asked, raising his thick eyebrows at her remarks.

 

"None." Yuri answered, with that same innocent look and tone, "Different people have different taste, that's all." "Then why do I feel more of the latter one?"

 

"You are just being over-sensitive." Yuri said dismissively, giving him a very angelic smile.

 

By the time Yuri got home, it was already dusk. After lunch with Tiffany and Changmin, they went out for a movie together. Changmin treated them again, and a little shopping at Tiffany's requests.

 

"Mommy, I'm back." Yuri said, walking towards the sofa where her mom was sitting and gave her a peck on the cheek.

 

"Welcome back, Yuri, darling. Go take a quick shower because later, we are going over to the Kim for dinner." "Sure. What's the occasion?"

 

"Nothing, just feel like going over."

 

"Okay."

 

"So, how's your day today? Did you have a fun time?" Mrs. Kwon asked, trying to hide her nervousness as she was waiting for Yuri's answer.

 

"Great." Yuri replied cheerfully, occupied with her own thoughts to notice the unusual expression on her mom's face. Yuri started thinking how she should help Changmin as she had promised him and then what she would do next. Sometimes, guys need a little challenge, especially guys like Changmin who had a way with girls and didn't have any problems with them at all, thanks to their looks. Deflating their ego seemed to be an extremely appealing idea. As a feminist, she should do something to avenge the female gender, isn't it? It wasn't his fault which she understood. Mostly both were willing parties but then, it didn't mean he could get away with it unpunished. At least, not when he knew her and she knew him. Females were unreasonable by nature so it was her right to be one, not to mention, she, as a feminist, tended to be more biased, not caring whether it was the guys or the woman's fault or no one's fault. As long as he was having a good time with females so easily, not treating them seriously, he needed to be punished by her and what other ways was better than making the woman that was special to him do the job? She had this strong feeling and belief that Krystal would definitely support her and gladly do so, too. If Krystal was what she thought she was then with the both of them, much better planned might be formed. Yuri couldn't wait, laughing silently in her head as she thought of all kinds of situation and expression Changmin might have.

 

It was great being a female.

 

Even more so, a feminist.

 

Yuri couldn't be anymore prouder.