Reaching Out To You

Reaching Out To You

Chapter 7

 

Running down the stairs as fast as possible, Yuri didn't even dare look back. How long had it been since she ran this fast? Shaking her head, Yuri didn't know what to feel. Taking in some deep breaths, her heart rate started to go back to normal. Now, she was outside the ladies restroom, waiting for Tiffany to come out.

 

'If I had known earlier, I would have just obediently stayed here and waited for Fany.' Yuri thought silently to herself, regretting her inability to resists temptations. Just because it was just another three flights of stairs to the rooftop.

 

Such a beautiful day and she had to catch that kind of scene. Furthermore, she was unable to enjoy what she loves most. Today just wasn't her day.

 

"Yul, why are you sighing?" Tiffany asked, walking out of the restroom and caught her sighing, "Anything troubling you?" She asked concernedly.

 

"Its nothing big." Yuri said, smiling "Come on, let's go. Didn't you say you want to shop for today's class celebration party?"

 

"Yeah. What about you?"

 

"No, you can count me out. I'm just accompanying you."

 

"Why?" Tiffany asked, pouting.

 

"You know I never like shopping much." Yuri said passively, "And because today is the last day so that means everyone is celebrating and I decided not to be a spoilsport and accompany you."

 

Snorting in reply, Tiffany said sarcastically, "Should I thank you for that? Gracing your honorable presence to those shopping malls and accompanying me around."

 

"I won't mind." Yuri said, grinning cheekily. Then, she extended her hand out like a gentleman, with a bow and said teasingly, "So, my dear lady, can we go now?"

 

Chuckling, Tiffany decided to played along. She graciously accepted her gesture and replied politely with a lady-like demure, "Yes." Before they headed towards their destination, arm-in-arm.

 

The moment Yuri looked up at the neon signboard, she frowned disapprovingly. As a peace and silence lover, such places were just not her type and she would avoid it at all costs.

 

"Who suggested this place?" Yuri queried, still not stepping in.

 

"Taemin Oppa. Come on Yul, just this once. After weeks of studying, everyone wants to relax. Don't be such a wet blanket." Tiffany persuaded.

 

"But you should know how much I hate such places." Yuri countered.

 

"It's only once in a while. This is to celebrate the end of exams and how many more times can we have such gathering? This is already our final year, we must create some memories together, as much as possible." Tiffany continued, not giving up.

 

"Okay, okay. Stop talking before I change my mind." Yuri said, defeated.

 

Grabbing her arm to prevent her from running away at the last minute, Tiffany walked in together with Yuri and towards the table where a group of their classmates were waving enthusiastically at them.

 

"Hi everyone." Tiffany greeted jovially.

 

"We almost thought the both of you will back out." One of them replied, "Finally."

 

"Why would I?" Tiffany asked, sitting down while Yuri naturally sat beside her, "I have to convince this lady here." Tiffany continued, pointing to Yuri.

 

"True." Seohyun, one of their classmates, nodded her head in agreement, "Yuri never liked crowded places."

 

"Yeah, exactly and who is the one that suggested this, huh?" Yuri said, glaring at the culprit. Taemin returned her stare with an innocent smile, "Want to have a dance with me Yuri? Take it as my compensation."

 

"No thank you. I hate this even more." Yuri replied disinterestedly, "Just the noises alone is already giving me a headache."

 

"Your iced tea Yul." Tiffany said, passing her Yuri's drink that she ordered for her a few minutes ago.

 

"Thanks Fany." Yuri said, giving her a grateful smile, feeling slightly better after taking a few sip.

 

"Where's Jaejoong Oppa and Leeteuk Oppa?" Tiffany asked, looking around but didn't see them anywhere, "Are they coming?"

 

"They are at the bar." Siwon answered, pointing to where they were, making Tiffany turned to looked.

 

"Why do you want to find them?" He asked, winking "Don't tell me you are one of those girls out there trying to catch their attentions, too?"

 

"Eh? Why are there no ladies around them?" Tiffany questioned, surprised to see the two of them sitting there, drinking without any interruption, especially by the ladies.

 

Their classmate which were girls started to sigh, "All got declined by them." One of the girls kindly supplied the answer.

 

"Yeah, you don't know how many women out there is hoping to get close to them." Another said. True enough, Tiffany glanced around and saw almost every woman in the club were glancing in their direction quite openly, wishing them to pay some attention but the two guys paid no heed and continued with their drinks while chit chatting.

 

"After seeing them rejecting one woman after another, none of them had the courage to get near them anymore." "Guess the rumor is true then, for Jaejoong Oppa."

 

"Yeah. It has been months already and he's still single."

 

"I wonder what's the reason for his change?"

 

The girls sighed again. There goes their prince charming.

 

"How nice if it is for a girl."

 

"And I wish I'm that lucky person."

 

Yuri, who was chatting with some of her classmates that sat around her, heard their conversation but decided not to make any comment. Sometimes, it was good to feigned ignorance, especially in situation like this.

 

"So Yul, what do you think about those rumors?" Kris, one of the guys she was currently talking to, asked. Yuri was one of the most rational and intelligent women he had ever met. The only two female that weren't crazy over guys like most of them out there were Yuri and Tiffany.

 

Tiffany was interested in their news, as for the reason, he guessed it was just for amusement, love to see handsome, cute guys but it was just appreciation, not so extreme compared to the other females.

 

As for Yuri, she was the more cool-headed person and unlike any typical woman. She didn't have a strong love for shopping, didn't show much interests in any guy. He had never seen her spend at least half an hour in the restroom doing her makeups and god knows what else they do inside or wear many accessories except a simple necklace and sometimes bracelet. Overall, she was quite an outgoing person, friendly and easy to get along with, except she sometimes could be a little blur and slow.

 

"I believe it is true." 'At first. Yuri added inwardly, "After all, did you see him with a new girl these past few months? It's normal for a guy to concentrate on his studies in the final year, I believe for the sake of the future. This is a good thing and we should be happy for him, right? Maybe after graduation, he will go back to his old ways, you never know, right? But for now, let's just believe that he decided to concentrate on his education." Then she took a sip of her drink coolly.

 

Since Yuri says so, then mostly the rumors are true. The only person that Tiffany ever believes in was Yuri. To her, rumors were just a sources of entertainment, topics to gossip about but listening to it and keeping track of it doesn't mean she believed in it.

 

"So Kris Oppa, what do you intend to do after graduation?" Yuri asked, changing the topic tactfully.

 

"I want to." Kris said, starting to tell her all his planned he had in mind and any questions about Jaejoong were left forgotten.

 

"Hey Jae, you aren't joining them?" Jeongsu asked, "She has already arrived."

 

"Later." Jaejoong answered, gulping down the glass of soju he ordered. Although he tried to forget his conversation with Sooyoung, her words kept replaying in his mind.

 

'If the whole school knows the reason for your change is because of a woman and especially if your fanclubs know it was Yuri.'

 

He admitted that one of the reason for him not confessing his feelings to Yuri was due to the harm she might received from the other girls if they knew about it, which they definitely would.

 

Jealousy was a scary thing, especially from the females.

 

They could be the kindest person, yet they could also be the most evil.

 

"Hey Jae, are you sure you are fine? You seem troubled." Jeongsu asked worriedly, seeing that Jaejoong's anxiety was more apparent after Yuri's arrival, 'Is it related to Yuri?' Jeongsu added silently.

 

Other than her, not many matters could trouble Jaejoong so much until it was so obvious.

 

"Why? Finally decided to give up on her?" Jeongsu teased.

 

Turning his gaze towards their classmate, he could see her smiling brightly, her eyes sparkling with joy. He wished that this sight would never disappear. However, this also meant one thing. What she saw that afternoon didn't affect her at all.

 

'She really doesn't have a single bit of feelings towards me, huh?' Jaejoong thought bitterly.

 

"Let's go and join them before they come and find us and say we are the anti-social." Jaejoong said, taking the last gulp, put the money on the table and stood up.

 

"Hey! You haven't told me what's troubling you!" Jeongsu complained, as he too, put the money on the table and chased after Jaejoong.

 

"I'm fine."

 

"You are lying."

 

"Wow Jaejoong Oppa, Jeongsu Oppa, finally, huh?! Just now, we were thinking that if the both of you weren't here a second later, one of us was going to come over and invite the two of you over here!" Yoona exclaimed lightly, "Then I must be really lucky. Maybe we have telepathy, that's why I can read your mind and know that I can't be any later." Jaejoong joked, with a wink as he took the empty seat beside her.

 

"Oh Oppa, you sure know how to please a woman." Yoona said, laughing.

 

"What did you all talk just now? Everyone's chortling so happily." Jaejoong asked curiously.

 

"Yeah, even from afar, we can hear all of you laughing."

 

"Its Junsu Oppa's fault." Jessica, the girl sitting opposite of them, answered.

 

"Yeah, we are having this competition about who tell the funniest joke and the winner gets to order anything he wants for free while the loser will be punished by the winner."

 

"And he was telling us the incident he met with a few weeks ago."

 

"Later is your turn, as everyone must participate."

 

"Sure." Jeongsu assured, "I will be the winner and order the most expensive alcoholic drink in this club." He declared proudly.

 

"If you can." Said another.

 

"How dare you underestimate me?" Jeongsu said, feigning being offended.

 

It lasted for a few hours. Everyone enjoyed the times there, laughing, eating, chatting and drinking, treasuring their happy moments as students with their classmates as it would soon be gone when they graduated. Junsu emerged as the winner while Yoochun was the loser. His punishment was to drink the glass of beverage that Junsu made, ingredients were kept a secret, which turned out to be a disgusting green colour. After Yoochun drank it, he dashed into the toilet, vomiting out the most awful juice he had ever drank. Everyone laughed when they saw the change in his round-shaped face colour and some gave him their deepest sympathy.

 

It was already one-fifty in the morning when it ended. Everyone bide goodbye to each other, all going separate directions as they headed home. As for Yuri, Tiffany and Jeongsu, they took Jaejoong's car as he drove them home. Yuri and Tiffany took the backseats and fell asleep a few minutes later. As for Jeongsu, he took the passenger seat beside Jaejoong and started questioning him.

 

"Jae, tell me what happen." He probed.

 

"Didn't I tell you, there is nothing wrong. Everything is fine."

 

"Come on, we are best buddies, you don't have to hide anything from me. Be honest."

 

Annoyed at his interrogation, he promised to tell him when the time was right which shut Jeongsu up. Then he the radio, listening to the music quietly. The car was silent once again, except for the sounds of the music emitting from the radio. Peace at last for Jaejoong as he could finally drive peacefully and focused.

 

"Thanks for the ride." Yuri said gratefully and courteously, with a bow.

 

"It's nothing. Besides, we are neighbours."

 

"Thank you anyway." Yuri said, smiling.

 

"Yuri, your finally back!" Mrs. Kwon exclaimed, glad to see her back as she walked out of the door and saw her outside the gate.

 

"Mom." Yuri said, running towards her mom and gave her a big hug, "Why are you still awake? Shouldn't you be sleeping? Where's dad?"

 

"In the living room, waiting for you. We were so worried so how could we sleep?" Mrs. Kwon chided gently.

 

"I'm sorry." Yuri apologized ruefully, "I have already told you that I will be late and not to wait up for me."

 

"Since we didn't see you come back safely, we can't sleep peacefully. Your dad and I even contemplated whether to wake uncle Cha up." Uncle Cha was their family chauffeur in his mid-thirties.

 

"I'm sorry, mom. Next time, I will call home."

 

"Its alright." Then she noticed Jaejoong beside her daughter, "Hi Jaejoong. You are the one who brought our Yuri back, right? Thank you so much." Mrs. Kwon said, shaking his hands gratefully.

 

"Auntie Kwon, it's just a small matter." Jaejoong said respectfully, with a smile.

 

"No, I still have to thank you. When you are free, come over and I will treat you to some food and desserts." Mrs. Kwon said enthusiastically.

 

"I have to go now." Jaejoong said, giving her a hug, "See you, auntie Kwon, and send my regards to uncle, too." "Sure. Night and sweet dreams, my dear."

 

Watching him enter the house, Mrs. Kwon and Yuri then walked into their house.

 

Taking in a deep breath, Yuri appreciated the wonder of mother nature surrounding her. The smell of the grass and flowers calmed down her nerves, giving her a sense of tranquility. She was totally at rest, physically and spiritually. Sitting down on the swing, Yuri gazed up at the clear sky dreamily with a novel on her lap. Mrs. Kwon was next door while her dad was at the company. One month of slacking, Yuri grinned and started to dream about how she was going to spend and enjoy her holiday.

 

However, one unexpected event causes it to change. It all happened during dinner when her mom made an earth-shattering announcement.

 

"What?!" Yuri exclaimed, totally stunned, "I refuses!" She stood up from her chair, her hands slamming down on the table.

 

"Yuri, you are turning twenty-one soon and not like I'm asking you to marry the person. It's just a meeting, getting to know more people." Mrs. Kwon said calmly, "You can treat the person as a friend and if you get along well, it would be great to see the relationship advances another step."

 

"I refuses." Yuri said resolutely, "I still have dreams I have yet to achieve and I don't want this to hinder me."

 

"Yuri, when you turn twenty-one, you are officially an adult."

 

"That's not until another few more months." Yuri remarked.

 

"At your age, your dad and I are already dating and by the time I was twenty-one, we were engaged. Not that I want to force you but I haven't seen you having any interests in any guys for years already. Ever since the last break up which was like three years ago and I'm starting to get worried. Can you take it as a mother's care and concern for her daughter? It's just dinner." Mrs. Kwon said, ignoring Yuri's comment.

 

Hearing what her mom said, Yuri softened. She couldn't bear to see her parents, especially her mom, disappointed.

 

"If you don't like the guy, you can stop seeing him. You have the right to choose the guy you want to be with." Mrs. Kwon persuaded.

 

"Yeah Yuri, your mom and I won't force you to accept the guy. We respect your choice and decision. This is just a part we play as parents, an act of our care and concern. We hope to help you find the right guy."

 

"I have the both of you. I don't need any guy."

 

"Yuri, we can't stay with you forever. Sooner or later, we will be gone."

 

"And we won't force you to marry until you are ready."

 

"Okay, I will go." Yuri surrendered resignedly. She didn't want to see her parents effort go to waste and they were so hopeful about it, convincing her and compromised so much. She understood that they did it with kind intentions. She didn't have the heart to reject them after all.

 

Smiling happily, Mrs. Kwon hugged her husband tightly, "She agreed!" Mrs. Kwon exclaimed, touched and glad. Seeing her mom like this, Yuri felt that it was all worth it. Oh well, since she agreed to it, she will just go.

 

It's just dinner.

 

However, she couldn't help but sighed.

 

Matchmaking?

 

Yuri lifted her head up and stared up at the ceiling.

 

In the 21st century?