Reaching Out To You

Reaching Out To You

Chapter 1

 

It was a very peaceful day as usual. The sun shone down its ray on Seoul Korea, providing warmth to the people and brightening up the whole city. The clear blue sky with some floating white clouds, plus some soft breeze made it a perfect day to do anything. Birds were flying across the sky freely. People were busy with their own lives. The city was bustling with activities.

 

However, only one person remained unaffected. At University of Seoul, at a particular place, there she was, at the rooftop, sleeping with her hands beneath her head, acting as a pillow and listening to music from her mp3 player. The lesson bell had just rung but she wasn't worried at all. Instead, she opened her dark brown, almond-shaped eyes sleepily, staring up at the clear blue sky relaxingly, not caring if she skipped her lesson or not. Then she closed her eyes again, but this time, her mind was fully awake, silently appreciating the simple, yet precious beauty around her with her music playing as the background.

 

She loved the sound of the wind, the feeling when the wind blew against her tanned skin. She also loved hearing the birds chirping and the hustle and bustle of the city because all of these signified another peaceful day.

 

The second sound of the bell had ended which meant lesson had started.

 

Sitting up, she started stretching, "What a good nap!" Kwon Yuri exclaimed, with a contented sigh.

 

Picking the black ogio brooklyn shoulder bag that's beside her up, she slung it over her shoulder and stood up, ready to go to class. By the time she arrived, the lesson had begun five minutes ago. When the lecturer saw her, he only told her to find a place to sit and then continued with his lesson.

 

At the last row in the right corner, Yuri put her bag down, took out her notes and stared at it boringly. With her elbow on the table and her chin resting on her palm, Yuri stared outside the window at her right. The sight of the trees and flowers to her were much more interesting than whatever the lecturer was talking.

 

Unknown to her, one guy at her far left was secretly observing her every single movement from the moment she had stepped into the class.

 

"Yul, can there be a day where you won't be late for any lessons?" Tiffany Hwang Miyoung, her best friend asked, before sighing. She took the same major as her and was in the same class.

 

"Why don't you come wake me up then?" Yuri replied back coolly, "You know where to find me. You know my habits."

 

Hearing the responses, Tiffany was rendered speechless, "I." She opened and closed a few times but not a word came out.

 

"Did you meet some handsome guy on the way?" Yuri asked amusedly.

 

"Hey. Don't make me sound like some bimbo girls who only thinks about guys and more guys." Tiffany said, feeling insulted.

 

"You aren't?" Yuri asked, raising her thick, straight eyebrow suspiciously.

 

"Of course not. What an insult. I'm just a bit more enthusiastic than what was deemed normal towards guys, that's all." Tiffany explained, defending her pride, "At least I have more brains than them and I have ambitions okay? I don't just think of guys. I have plans for my own future."

 

"Fany, I know. You are much smarter than them." Yuri said, grinning "I'm just joking."

 

"Humph." Tiffany sulked, looking away with her arms crossed.

 

"So, tell me the truth, did you really meet any handsome guys or any guys that caught your attention on the way?" Yuri inquired curiously.

 

"No." Tiffany said, sighing disappointedly, "Its just that I woke up late too, and just arrived on time." Tiffany explained embarrassedly.

 

"I see." Yuri said, nodding before taking a sip of the tea she ordered.

 

"Yul, don't tell me you took a nap again?"

 

"Yeah, I did." Yuri admitted readily, smiling.

 

"Yul, that's why you are always late. Even though you get out of the house earlier than I do, it doesn't help from what I see."

 

"I know but I can't help it. The weather is too good." Yuri replied sheepishly, shrugging her shoulders.

 

Hearing what kind of responses she got back again, Tiffany couldn't help shaking her head resignedly. Being friends with her for so many years, how can she not know Yuri's character? It was useless trying to convince her to stop it. She had given up on it ages ago and just let her be. The only bad point of hers is that she had the tendency to drift off and rest whenever she felt it was perfect. When that happens, nothing could stop her.

 

"Really Fany, it's a great feeling to stay there, enjoying the breeze and serenity, uninterrupted. I don't understand why you find it boring."

 

"All I can say is that, different people have different likings." Tiffany answered.

 

"True." Yuri said, nodding her head in agreement.

 

"Mommy, I'm back!" Yuri exclaimed happily, running towards her mom who was doing the gardening and embraced her from behind tightly.

 

Turning her head around, Mrs. Kwon saw Yuri and chided, "Yuri, darling, mommy is dirty and you will get dirty, too."

 

"I don't care since it can be washed off anyway." Yuri replied, giving her mom a wide grin, "I miss you. Didn't you miss me, too?" Yuri asked, giving her mom her best puppy-dog eyes.

 

"Of course, I do. If I didn't, who else can I miss?" Mrs. Kwon said, chuckling. This daughter of hers could be so childish at times. Even though she was already twenty. However, she selfishly wished this part of her would never change.

 

"Mommy, stop doing the gardening. We can let uncle Cha do it. Come on, let's go in." Yuri said, grabbing her mom by the hand and led her into the house before she could say anything.

 

"Really Yuri, you." Mrs. Kwon said, but Yuri didn't give her a chance to finished before interrupting her.

 

"We have to take a shower and then later, we can have some mother-daughter times." Yuri said, smiling.

 

"We see each other everyday; we stay in the same house, why would we need it? And just before you go to school, we also see each other too, don't we?"

 

"I don't mind if we take a shower together though." Yuri said, giving her mom a very cheeky smile.

 

"Yuri."

 

"Joking, mommy." Yuri said, patting her mom on the back, "Don't be angry. I know we are already too old for that."

 

"Yuri, you really have got to be more serious some times. No wonder your dad didn't allow you to go overbroad for your education. From the way you behave, I doubt you are going to be fine alone."

 

"I don't want to be separated from you and daddy anyway." Yuri said, shrugging her shoulder. She had no planned to go study overbroad in the first place.

 

"Yuri, one day you have to leave us and one day we have to leave you. No one can live forever."

 

"I won't leave you two." Yuri promised.

 

"How can that be possible? You have to get married someday. One day, you are going to find a man you love and create a family with him just like your dad and I did." Mrs. Kwon explained patiently.

 

"If I ever find the man. I actually quite like the idea of being single for life and staying with my parents." Yuri said, pouting.

 

"Yuri, are you going to deprive me from the happiness of holding my grandchild? I want to see them before I die." "With modern technology, I can have one without marrying."

 

Hearing what Yuri said, Mrs. Kwon frowned in disapproval, "Are you telling me you are going to find a man out there and create one?"

 

"Of course not!" Yuri cried out loud, "Why would I do that? Of course, I will find a proper and acceptable one. I wouldn't want the father of my kids to be some drug addict or gambler. There's a thing called bank, mommy. We can even choose the eye colour, the blood type, etc. See, how convenient and there's even the family medical history stated on it so no need to worry about the child being born with inherited genetic diseases or born abnormal." Yuri said proudly, "You just tell me what type of grandchild you want, list out all the conditions and when you feel like having one, I can go choose which I want. You can come along, too. No, I think you should."

 

"Yuri." Mrs. Kwon said, about to faint, "Having a child is supposed to be a holy thing. A child is supposed to be born due to the love from his and her parents and they would welcome the new life with pride and enthusiasm."

 

"Mommy, it is very common nowadays for women to do that. How many children in this world are being born from the anticipation of their parents? Some of them are even being born unexpected or unwanted, born from accident. Mommy, even if they do come from the way you say they do, it might change years later, with parents divorcing or facing financial difficulties and many other factors. So, instead of letting the child go through all of that, why don't we, in the first place, let him or her have only one parent and later on, it doesn't have to be emotionally and mentally affected and also, at least it can be assured of a comfortable life."

 

"Then what about yourself? Can you say that you aren't born in a happy and warm family with loving parents?" Mrs. Kwon argued.

 

"Of course not. I'm the luckiest and happiest person in the world, with loving parents and with a luxurious, comfortable life." Yuri said sweetly, "However, this is just a rarity, mommy, and maybe things in your generation are much simpler. The people of your times are more simple-minded and didn't demand so much."

 

"Is there a problem with that?" Mrs. Kwon asked, putting her hands on her waist, glaring at her daughter.

 

"No." Yuri said, patting her mom on the back, "It's just that things change with times and in our generation, I guess people are more greedy and selfish. Especially the guys nowadays." She added, shaking her head, "Untrustworthy, give in to temptations easily, irresponsible." Yuri continued, listing out all the bad qualities until Mrs. Kwon called stop, shocked by her attitude.

 

"Yuri, did I teach you wrongly or something? Why would you have such a mindset and become so pessimistic and critical?" Mrs. Kwon asked seriously and concernedly. It couldn't be. They raised her up in a loving family, giving her all she wants and she was sure that she and her husband didn't fight a lot. So, where did she get all of these ideas from? "Or did you go through something traumatizing but never told me? Is it because of all those boyfriends you used to date?"

 

"No, mommy." Yuri reassured her, "Just from observing those things around me and through the newspaper, internet and magazines."

 

Taking in some deep breaths, Mrs. Kwon said, "Okay then. What if we died and you remain alone? Isn't it better to have someone you love beside you, giving you support and going through it together?"

 

"I have Tiffany."

 

"She also has her own life."

 

"Then I will just died with you and daddy after that then." Yuri joked, laughing out loud.

 

"Kwon Yuri!" Mrs. Kwon said angrily.

 

"By then, I should have a child with me since you want a grandchild so badly. So, I won't be alone. Don't worry, there are many beautiful things in life I haven't yet experiences so I won't die so fast. Relax."

 

Wanting to changed the subject, Yuri started pulling her mom up the stairs saying, "Let's go have our baths. It's not very comfortable having sweat and dirt sticking to your skin."

 

"What did you say, Jaejoong Oppa?! No!" Choi Sooyoung yelled in a shrill voice, "How could you do this to me? After dating for one month, you say it's time to break up? How can you be so cruel? How could you?" Sooyoung asked, as tears started swelling up in her dark brown, almond-shaped eyes, threatening to fall anytime but Jaejoong wasn't affected by it.

 

He just look at her indifferently, his tone was cool and stated as a matter of fact, "Before we started dating, I have already told you that the one month is just a trial and if I feel we are incompatible, I have the right to initiate a break up and you have to accept my decision. Isn't that what we agree in the first place?"

 

"That's because." Sooyoung said, trying to explain but was stopped by Jaejoong.

 

"Don't have to. Don't need to." Was all Jaejoong said.

 

"Oppa, can you give us another chance?" Sooyoung asked, grabbing for his arms tightly, "I'm seriously in love with you. I have never ever loved anyone so deeply before. You are the first." Sooyoung confessed earnestly.

 

During that short one month, she was really happy. Never had she missed a guy so much before, wishing to see him everyday. Never had she look forward to a date before as much as she did with Jaejoong. He occupied her heart, mind, thoughts and everything of hers. She never knew time could fly so fast. Before she knew it, the one month time was up.

 

"Oppa, just tell me what's wrong with me. I can change. Change until you are satisfied." Sooyoung pleaded, "Just as long as you don't end our relationship."

 

After trying to get his attention for so long, she had finally succeeded and he was willing to give her a chance with his usual one month policy of trial which so far no one had ever managed to pass. She thought that all she wanted was to get some fame by just going out with him and when that one month time was up, she could leave him readily, without any difficulties or any single bit of reluctance. No one in the campus didn't know of Kim Jaejoong or never heard of him. He was very famous, not only for his outstanding looks but also for his excellent performance in sports and studies. His coming from a rich family also increased his attractiveness, especially towards girls. He was every girls dream guy. He even had a fan club though unofficial. Everyone was interested to know more about Jaejoong and about his news. Therefore, whichever girl he went out with, most people would know about it. At least, the name of the girl through the spreading of gossips, of course. So, the quickest way to gain fame was by going out with him.

 

However, what she never expected was for her to be serious about it.

 

She, Choi Sooyoung, who was known to have many boyfriends and known as a playgirl was actually serious. She admitted that her past relationships were just a game for her, just something to do for fun, to boast her own pride, to prove her beauty to the world. She never knew how to be serious in a relationship until she met Jaejoong. Jaejoong taught her the feeling of being in love, the feeling of being happy simply just because he was there, with no other reason at all. He taught her the feeling of missing someone because he wasn't beside her side. She would wish that she was beside him and he was beside her twenty-four hours a day. With him, she felt like she was at the top of the world, even when they were doing the simplest things such as sitting down at a cafe doing nothing. He taught her the most important thing just by being beside her.

 

"I really, really love you a lot Oppa. Trust me. No other guys had ever manage to do that. Only you." Sooyoung said, grabbing the sleeves of his sculpted stone color easy care striped down button-down collar casual shirt tightly, looking at him with all her love for him shining in her eyes.

 

Jaejoong could see the sincerity and the truth of the words from the expression of her eyes. Just looking at her, he was beginning to get a headache which was the last thing he needed. Taking in a deep breath, Jaejoong said apologetically, "I really appreciate your sentiment but please forgive me for not being able to respond it back."

 

"Oppa, I can wait for you, I really can. As long as you are wiling to give us a chance. I believe one day you will learn to love me, too." Sooyoung said earnestly.

 

"Sorry." Jaejoong repeated, "That's all I can say." He added, before removing her grasps on him gently.

 

"I wish you all the best in finding someone much better than me and with your qualities. I believe you can do it. I'm not the right person for you." With that said, Jaejoong left the room without glancing back at her even once.

 

The moment he stepped out of the classroom, Sooyoung broke down, crying.

 

As he stepped out, he saw Park Jeongsu, his best friend, standing beside the door, leaning against the wall with his hand dipped into the pocket of his prewash indigo levi's 501 original fit jeans casually.

 

"Have you watched enough?" Jaejoong snorted.

 

"Sure I did. Very impressive."

 

Ignoring him, Jaejoong continued walking.

 

"You can even make Choi Sooyoung fall under your charms. Jae, is there any woman that you can't get?"

 

'Yes, only her.' Jaejoong thought inwardly.

 

Being his close friend, Jeongsu knew what he was thinking, "I don't know what to say about you, do you know that?"

 

"Maybe you can start by saying I'm cold-blooded, heartless or cruel?"

 

"Yeah, that's what people called you and those ex-girlfriends of yours experienced it first-handed, didn't they?" Jeongsu asked, grinning.

 

"Are you here to tease, Leeteuk?" Jaejoong asked suspiciously.

 

"But what those people doesn't know is that all these are just an act of your faithfulness. So, what should I say Jae? Are you heartless or not?"

 

"Anything, whatever you feel like it." Jaejoong answered indifferently.

 

"But from what you did just now, indeed you are really cold-blooded." Jeongsu said honestly, "She pleaded with you, confessed everything to you; she was even willing to change for you but you still rejected her and worse than that, you walked off without even looking back at her. Not even once."

 

"If I didn't do that, how am I going to make her give up on me totally?"

 

"That's why I say I don't know what to say about you."

 

"Well, there's one thing that is true."

 

"And what's that?" Jeongsu asked curiously.

 

"I'm heartless." Jaejoong remarked.

 

Stunned, Jeongsu stared at him for a moment before laughing out loud and caught up with Jaejoong who continued walking away without him.