Reaching Out To You

Reaching Out To You

Chapter 12

 

Jaejoong had been searching for any signed of Yuri for the past eight minutes. He searched all the blocks, especially at the rooftops, the foodcourt and even at the stadium where Jeongsu told him where Tiffany could be found, '“Yul? Shouldn’t she be at her favourite place? She isn't there?” Then she screamed along with the audiences, especially the girls, "Ah! Minho Oppa! Yesung Oppa! Go for the ball! Go!”

 

Now he knows why Yuri didn't follow Tiffany. Jaejoong covered his ear with his hands, hoping to block out as much noises as possible before he goes deaf. He called out to Tiffany a few times, trying to ask her whether she had any ideas where Yuri might be but to no avail as she was too busy cheering for the team she supported to pay much attention to him. Giving up, Jaejoong walked out from the crowded stadium and decided to depend on himself instead. As Jaejoong was busy searching for Yuri, at one quiet corner of the school, a woman was taking a nap under the tree, with music playing in her ear and covered her face with a book. This place was situated at some distance away with the back of the school block facing it. As it was isolated away from most of the other schools in the university, the place wasn't easily spotted, thus usually only the grass and trees were its company. Today, however, was different because a female was added to the scene but that didn't disrupt either its usual silence or its serenity.

 

A light breeze blew through the greenery area and the leaves and flowers swayed in accordance with the wind, dancing to the rustling sound of the leaves. The fragrance scent of the flowers wafted in the air while people could spread around and lie on the grass or under the tree for shade if the weather was too sunny, enjoying the soft texture of the ground. Moreover, it was mostly quiet with no other people around. Can there be a better place than this when you need a rest?

 

Despite this, Yuri woke up in the middle of her nap without anyone calling her which was considered as rarity because it only happened if she suddenly remembered that she forgot important matters such as assignments or things that Tiffany or her parents asked her to help with. The last time it happened was a few years ago.

 

Why does it have to be Jaejoong and Sooyoung again? Jaejoong is only her friend. A friend, right? If she was so sure, why would she questioned herself then? That was why she hated questions with no answers. Questions like the ones she was facing right now.

 

Yuri gazed up at the birds enviously, “Why can’t I be a bird, flying so freely, so unrestrained?” There were times she felt real free as if like nothing could tie her down like those birds above flying anywhere, everywhere it wanted but there were times she felt trapped. There seemed to be something lacking in her but what is it? She had no clue. She always thought that feeling contented, grateful, satisfied and problem-free was the path to freedom, though now she couldn't say she is problem-free.

 

What was wrong with her? Since that incidence, she never thought this would happen again. Haven't she gotten over it already? Or is she wrong? Deciding not to think any further, Yuri stood up, patted away the dirt and grass that stained her clothes, covered her book and put it in her black osprey flapjill courier bag before walking away. Where should she go now?

 

To Tiffany?

 

Immediately, Yuri shuddered at the thought. The scene was still so clearly pictured in her mind despite the fact that an hour had passed. Not only was the place hot and humid, the ear-deafening shouts and screams from the spectators made her feel like her eardrums would bursts anytime soon if she stayed a second longer. What was worse was that it was so packed with people that to walk from one place to another you had to squeeze your way through. How could Tiffany tolerate that was beyond her imagination. Therefore, the next second, Yuri exited the stadium in her fastest speed possible. Thankfully, Tiffany didn't force her to stay because she knew how much she hated crowded places.

 

The air had never felt better was the first notion that crossed her head when she stepped out of the stadium.

 

A library was quite an appealing choice. At least it was a million, billion or even zillion times quieter, better than the stadium. Plus, she could spend the remaining half hour reading some books to pass some time before her next lesson started. It was countless times more comfortable than the stadium, too. You could even get a chair to sit.

 

As Yuri was heading to the library, she spotted Jaejoong running towards her, looking flustered.

 

Yuri tilted her head to one side, looking at him questioningly, “Did you just run a marathon or something, Jae Oppa?”

 

“Do you know how worried I am?!” Jaejoong scolded angrily, the moment he saw her, “Can’t you inform someone where you go first if it wasn't your usual place?!” And before she could defend herself or even react, Jaejoong had already embraced her tightly.

 

“I'm sorry.” Yuri apologized ruefully, as she sensed his anxiety and knew he was truly worried for her, “I just went to a quiet place to have some time alone.” Yuri explained, returning his hug.

 

“Don’t do that anymore!” Jaejoong chided.

 

Yuri lifted her head up, smiling and giving him her promises, “Sure. I will at least inform someone or you where I will go the next time okay?”

 

“Humph.”

 

“How about treating you to a drink? You can order what you want, I won’t even complain.” Yuri suggested.

 

“I won’t hold back then.” Jaejoong warned.

 

“Sure.” Yuri said, grinning.

 

Minutes later, the both of them were in the school food court, enjoying their drinks. Yuri ordered herself a ice tea while Jaejoong ordered a sprite. Jaejoong said that in school, there was nothing expensive to order so this time, it wasn't counted and she still owed him a drink.

 

“What's the matter?” Yuri asked curiously, as she remembered that Jaejoong was looking for her. If not, he wouldn't run towards her when he saw her, breathing heavily as if he just completed some marathon race. She concluded that it had to be some urgent matters, “Why were you looking for me?”

 

Jaejoong froze for an instant. He almost forgot his purposes as relief and ecstasy overcame him when he found her.

 

“Oppa?”

 

How should he put into words so that she wouldn't know his hidden feelings for her and yet, believe what he said? “You know about the sight you saw earlier at the rooftop, with me and Sooyoung.” Jaejoong explained hesitantly, and slowly, fidgeting a little. What the hell?! What's there to be nervous about? It was just an explanation. Who is he? Kim Jaejoong, of course.

 

Suddenly, she found the ice tea she was drinking so interesting. Yuri lowered her head, her attention on her drink, not wanting him to see her feeling down. Maybe she was in serious need of a doctor.

 

“Yul?” Jaejoong called out softly, “Did you hear what I said earlier? I say about the scene you saw earlier...”

 

“It’s alright Oppa. You don’t have to explain your personal business to me. Really.” She said, interrupting him, forcing a smile on her face, hoping to convince him that she was fine. Why, one moment she felt as if she was at the top of the world and the next, it felt as if she was falling to the very bottom, losing all mood and interests. How could Jaejoong affect her so easily?

 

“But Yul...”

 

Yuri shook her head, interrupting him again, “I understand."

 

For some unknown reason, she didn't want to hear any further. As his friend, she should be glad for him. Then who can explain to her what she was feeling now? It didn't make any senses at all. She was getting more and more confused.

 

She hated herself, the current her. It was just not her usual self, not her at all.

 

“No, Yul, you don’t.” Jaejoong said surely, “Yul, raise your head up and look at me.”

 

Taking in a deep breath, Yuri looked up at him, “Yes?”

 

“Are you okay?” Jaejoong asked concernedly, while studying her intensely which caused Yuri to squirm uneasily, “I’m fine, really.” She had never knew forcing a smile was such a tough job, especially when you need to convince a smart and sharp person. For example, Kim Jaejoong, the person who was sitting directly opposite of her.

 

“Yul, if there’s anything troubling you, feel free to tell me.” Jaejoong coaxed gently, “I’m always here for you.”

 

“Don’t worry Oppa. I guarantee you one hundred percent, I’m fine.” For the first time, she pleaded. Not very obvious and yet, Jaejoong sensed it and immediately knew how serious the matter was. Being friends with her for quite some time, plus the years of observation of her since junior high, he never once heard her using that tone before. She was always the jovial person, bringing light and laughter to people around her, friendly and ready to help. Nothing could bring her down.

 

“Do you know how Leeteuk Oppa offended Fany? She never had trouble getting along with people beside Leeteuk Oppa." Yuri asked, changing the subject and Jaejoong knew it. Whenever he tried to probe further, Yuri would answer she was fine and then changed into another subject. After a few unsuccessful attempts of trying to get anything out of her, Jaejoong gave in and followed her along.

 

Today was one of the worst day's in her life, she swore. Yuri sighed as she thought about her day in school. Never had a day passed more slowly and she had never felt so exhausted. She had no mood to do anything at all, not even the things that she usually enjoyed doing. She couldn't concentrate in any lessons; she couldn't find interests on what was happening outside and she didn't even have the mood to talk. She tried to but it ended up only a few sentences and she was quiet once again. Summing it up, she wasn't her usual self. Not only Jaejoong was getting suspicious, even Tiffany suspected a thing or two though she never mentioned it. She was grateful for this but then that smile Tiffany gave her, that look, it gave her the impression that she was implying something or telling her silently that she knew something that she was unaware of which made her even more uneasy and restless. Maybe it was better if Tiffany confronted her.

 

Today was just not her day.

 

She felt like a trapped bird, like her wings had been clipped off. Why was her road to freedom filled with so many obstacles?

 

“Welcome back, young miss.” A maid, who was at the courtyard outside, greeted her, the moment she saw her. Yuri gave her a nod and smiled back politely.

 

As she walked into the mansion, she saw two ladies chatting merrily, discussing something as she noted a whole bunch of brochures on the coffee table.

 

“Mom, I’m back.” Yuri said, pecking her mom's cheek lovingly and then greeted, “Hi, auntie Kim.”

 

“Welcome back, darling.” Mrs. Kwon smiled.

 

“What's the big occasion? Why are there so many pamphlets on buffet, venues and decorations? Holding a party?” Yuri queried curiously, as she peered at the paper. This earned her a light hit on the head from her mom, “Mom.” Yuri said, rubbing her head, pouting childishly.

 

“Who asked you to forget your 21st birthday?” Mrs. Kwon asked, shaking her head resignedly, “How could I give birth to such a forgetful daughter? At such a young age, she has already had such bad memories.”

 

“Mom. Are you cursing me?” Yuri objected.

 

“No, I'm just stating a fact.”

 

21st birthday?

 

A party?

 

These two things kept on twirling inside her head and soon, a plan was created. Yuri grinned, proud of her intelligence and the brilliant idea. She loved her brain and the bad day she had was forgotten.

 

“Thanks, mom. I love you.” Yuri said, pecking her mom's cheek happily. A true smile finally appeared on her face, “Mom, can I have a small requests?”

 

“Of course. It's your birthday party. You are the VVIP.”

 

“Can I invited any people I want?”

 

“What a stupid question.”

 

“Thanks, mom. Happy discussing, mom, auntie Kim. You can make it as grand as you want to.”

 

“We will. It is one of the most important days in your life, the day you become an adult, officially. It must be grand.” Mrs. Kwon said surely.

 

“I love you.” With that said, Yuri skipped up the stairs, ready to start planning. Mrs. Kwon shook her head. What was wrong with her daughter today?