Reaching Out To You

Reaching Out To You

Chapter 2

 

The next day, when Yuri reached school, she heard a lot of murmurs going around but that didn't even stop her when she was on her way to class.

 

"Good morning, Fany." Yuri greeted Tiffany, who was standing outside the lecture hall doorway since Tiffany had just arrived.

 

"Good morning to you, too. Have you heard the news?" Tiffany asked curiously, as she and Yuri entered the classroom together and went to find empty seats somewhere in the middle.

 

"What is it about?" Yuri asked disinterestedly, as she took out the notes for today lesson.

 

"Kim Jaejoong and Choi Sooyoung broke up yesterday! The whole school is talking about it now!" Tiffany exclaimed, "Didn't you hear it? On the way here. I have already heard tons of people talking about it."

 

"No wonder I feel like today seems noiser than usual. So, it was that day already." Yuri said, nodding her head understandingly. That day referred to the end of the one month since the date started. Every time, without fail, exactly at the end of the month, Jaejoong would break up with whichever girl he was dating and the next day, gossiped would start flying all over the school, spreading like wild fires. As long as she could remember, that rule hadn't changed at all.

 

"Yul, can't you have more reaction?" Tiffany asked, pouting.

 

"Fany, it's not like this is the first time. It has been going on for years and haven't you gotten tired of it yet?"

 

"Which number is this latest girlfriend of his? I wonder if he even kept a record of it."

 

"Fany, you really like to meddle in people's affairs, huh?"

 

"I wonder what causes the change in him." Tiffany questioned thoughtfully, tapping her chin gently while thinking, "When did this start? Around high school?"

 

Yuri, Tiffany, Jaejoong and Jeongsu had been in the same school since elementary and sometimes, even in the same class. So, although they aren't on close terms, they knew about each others existence and had a certain understanding of each other.

 

"Fany, how do you know it? Are you telling me you have been spying on him or keeping track of what he did?" Yuri asked, startled by Tiffany's remark.

 

Rolling her wide, dark brown, almond-shaped eyes, Tiffany said, "Yul, I'm different from you. I observed my surroundings, the people around me and what's going on. Though it is quite maddening to see girls falling head over heels for him and being dumped by him like some trash. At the end of every month, without fail, he would dumped them. Doesn't he even have any respect for girls? Gosh, I hate such guys. Now is the twenties century, guys and girls are equal. Why must he be the one dumping the girls and not vice versa? Yul, don't ever find such a guy like him as your boyfriend. If its just for flirting, then it's fine. Such guys must be a great and perfect lover, don't you think so?"

 

Hearing Tiffany sighed, Yuri realized she lost herself in her little fantasy world.

 

"Hello! Earth to Tiffany!" Yuri shouted in her ear.

 

"Yul, can you not be such a spoilsport?!" Tiffany grumbled.

 

"If you don't wake up soon, you are going to miss the lecture." Yuri stated calmly.

 

As minutes passed by, more and more students started entering the hall and within minutes, the lecturer arrived and began his lessons for that day.

 

"Gosh, I hate such time!" Tiffany grumbled, as she looked at the crowd that was back up in the food court, "Everywhere we go is the same."

 

"Causes it's the peak of the hours." Yuri replied coolly, "If you are willing to wait half an hour later, maybe it will not be so crowded."

 

"They seriously need to consider extending our break time."

 

"So, what are you going to do now?" Yuri asked, chuckling.

 

"I don't know."

 

"Anyway, I'm going to buy some snacks and then go to the rooftop. Come with me if you like." Yuri said, and then walked off.

 

"Again?" Tiffany asked, turning to looked at Yuri but she was already walking further and further away, "Yul!" Tiffany shouted, after her, "How can you just leave me alone like that?"

 

Walking in her usual path, she started climbing up the stairs to the highest level of the school block and opened the door gently. Immediately, the wind breeze welcomed her. Then, she closed the door, walked towards the center, put the can of tea and a packet of sandwiches down and settled down on the cement floor relaxingly, gazing up at the sky and clouds above.

 

They were so high up and seemed so liberated, so free, as if nothing could control them at all.

 

Smiling, she started closing her eyes, breathing slowly and steadily, taking a nap with the mp3 player playing in her ear and her hands folded behind her head.

 

Yuri just wished that she could stay like that forever.

 

However, this serenity didn't last that long when she heard the sound of the door from behind her being opened. Sitting up, Yuri said, "Fany, finally you." But stopped when she turned around and saw who the person really was. It was someone she least expected to see.

 

Yuri quickly composed herself and stood up, "Hi Jaejoong Oppa." Yuri greeted politely, with a small smile, "What a surprises to see you up here."

 

Smiling back, Jaejoong knew it wasn't any sarcastic remarks from her because she sounded really surprised and honest. Somehow, that saddened him, "Am I in your way?"

 

"No, of course not." Yuri said, her tone just as polite as before.

 

"Why are you here?" Yuri asked, out of curiosity.

 

"Just wanted some time alone." Jaejoong said, which was half true.

 

"To escape from those gossips?"

 

"You mean the break up?" Jaejoong asked, seeing Yuri nod.

 

"Not exactly."

 

"Oh." Yuri said, accepting his answer without much qualm while thinking quietly that if it was Tiffany, she would shoot her with tons of questions until she was satisfied. However, she, Kwon Yuri, believed that everyone had its own rights to privacy and she respected that. After a few minutes of silence, Yuri spoke up, "Sometimes it is necessary to have some time alone among the busy schedule. It is very important for your mental and physical well-being. It helps sort out your thoughts and kind of relieve your stress in a way. Unfortunately, most people are too occupied with their work and responsibilities to realize that. Guess that's why some people feel so stress out." "Very true." Jaejoong agreed, impressed by her deep thoughts.

 

"All these can be learned from books." Yuri said humbly, smiling "It all depends on interests I guess."

 

Once Yuri finished, silence fell between them once again. This time, Yuri made no attempt to start a conversation but trying to silently enjoyed her time there alone. Sadly, it wasn't as easy as she thought it to be.

 

"Uh...I guess Tiffany must be looking for me so I will go now." Yuri said apologetically, "I'm sorry."

 

"Its okay. You can go."

 

"Bye." Yuri said, giving him a small wave of her hand and exited, closing the door gently, leaving him with all the spaces.

 

"Am I that unbearable to be around?" Jaejoong asked, no one in particular, before sighing as he looked at his surroundings. It was totally empty except for the fence, the door and the breeze. If Yuri spoke out a second later, it would be her that was here now. He could see that she was quite uncomfortable staying there with him, with just the two of them.

 

What should he do?

 

Meanwhile, Yuri was walking down the stairs and halfway down, she met Tiffany who was ready to climb up.

 

"Yul, why are you here? I thought are you going to stay up there longer. If I had known earlier, I wouldn't have rush to meet you."

 

"Where have you been? Took you long enough."

 

"Buying food, of course. Took me quite some time though."

 

Looking at what was in the plastic bag, Yuri saw just a packet of potato chips and a bottle of orange juice, "And that took you quite some time?" Yuri asked incredulously.

 

"Duh. There were so many snacks there like cookies, chips, candy, popcorn and got such a wide variety of brands and flavour. Then there are drinks, fruit juices, carbonate drinks or soft drinks, all available in cans, packets and bottles. With all of these, I need time to think, quite indecisive." Tiffany explained sheepishly.

 

Surrendering to her explanation, Yuri resumed walking down the stairs.

 

"Hey. Aren't you going up?" Tiffany asked, pointing upstairs.

 

"There is someone there already." Yuri answered simply.

 

"Who?"

 

"Not very important." Yuri said, imagining Tiffany's reaction and expression if she told her. It was better to keep it short to prevent more trouble.

 

"What the?! You should have told me earlier so I can wait for you downstairs and didn't have to climb up so many stairs!" Tiffany complained gruffly, and opened her bag of potato chips.

 

"Anyway, exercise is good for you." Yuri answered, as she unwrapped the packing of the sandwiches and started eating. Within minutes, she settled her lunch for the day.

 

As Jaejoong was staring at the sight in front of him from the top, the door suddenly opened.

 

"Jae, how is it?" Jeongsu asked, walking towards Jaejoong.

 

"How is it what?" Jaejoong asked back, feigning ignorance, his grey, cresent-shaped eyes remained fixed outside, "You know what I'm talking about." Jeongsu replied pointedly.

 

"The same." Jaejoong said, smiling bitterly as he thought about the conversation he had with Yuri.

 

"Don't give up." Jeongsu encourage, patting Jaejoong on the shoulder.

 

"More like I can't give up." Jaejoong said, as he thought about those futile attempts of forgetting Yuri and trying to stop his feelings for her. Sometimes, he really wished he could just give it all up.

 

Knowing what Jaejoong was referring to, Jeongsu just kept quiet before changing the topic, "So, this is her favourite place, huh?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Not a bad view. She sure has good tastes."

 

"I know. Even though I stand here, I don't seem to get any closer to her. All I know is that she loves this place." Jaejoong said sadly. Their meeting wasn't as coincidental as what Yuri thought. The other reason for him coming there was because he wanted to have a better understanding of her. He came there on purposed.

 

Meanwhile, in the lecture hall, not many students were around as it was still early for the coming lessons.

 

"I can't believe both of you are neighbours since you guys were babies and could even be considered as childhood friends! Its totally very different from those typical shows or novels!" Tiffany exclaimed disbelievingly.

 

"If not because I know you since elementary and visit your house quite often, I will never connect Jaejoong Oppa and you together as even friends."

 

After being bugged from Tiffany to tell her who she met at the rooftop from the moment they met at the stairs to their way to their next lesson and even while she finished her lunch, Yuri resigned herself and finally explained everything to her, hoping that it will give herself some peace but looked like things didn't go as she had planned. She should expect that it was only her wishful thinking for even thinking that Tiffany would stop asking her about it.

 

"Tiffany!" Yuri warned dangerously, as she quickly scrutinized around to see if anyone heard their conversation. Noting that everyone was busy with their own stuff, Yuri heaved a sigh of relief.

 

"Oops, I'm sorry. Just a slip of tongue." Tiffany said apologetically, "But this matter had been bugging me for years. Why do you have to hide the fact that Jaejoong Oppa and you are neighbours? Is it embarrassing for you?" "I have repeated myself many times Fany. To prevent trouble. You know how popular he is, especially with the girls. What do you think will happen if they found out we were neighbours?" Yuri whispered.

 

"Maybe they would ask you to help them send love letters or ask you to matchmake them with him." Tiffany replied excitedly, "And would bribe you with tons of your favourite stuff. Or even willing to do what you of ask them." Tiffany added, already in her dreamland, being showered with many pink stuff, people surrounding her, asking her for help.

 

"Yul, you are so dumb. For me, I will make full uses of the opportunity." Tiffany remarked, as she woke up from her fantasy.

 

"Why don't you think of girls threatening you to help them or asking you to stay away from him or girls asking you out to the toilet or somewhere secluded and then bully you?" Yuri snorted, rolling her eyes.

 

"Yul, how can you say that?!" Tiffany chided disapprovingly, "You must think positively."

 

"More like I must think realistically." Yuri argued.