Reaching Out To You

Reaching Out To You

Chapter 4

 

What the hell happened to her today?!

 

Gazing up at the sky, Yuri saw that it was a bright day as usual. It was still so high up and so clear and blue. Then, there were the familiar chirps of the bird, the familiar noises from the city and the air that she breathed in every second of the day. Everything was the same so why did she feel so different today?

 

Somehow, she didn't feel as carefree as she usually did and she didn't like it one single bit.

 

Shaking her head vigorously and getting up, Yuri decided to go to her class. Maybe a distraction would help and bring her back to her old normal self.

 

However, Yuri wasn't the only unusual person today.

 

"Jae, come on. Why no new girlfriend this week? Don't tell me you are already tired of it and decided to give up?" Jeongsu had been bugging him since morning, insisting on finding out what was wrong with him. It had already been one week and normally, Jaejoong would have a new girlfriend by now.

 

"Jeongsu, two words for you."

 

"What's that?" Jeongsu asked, looking at him hopefully, thinking that Jaejoong was going to reveal a thing or two to him.

 

"Shut up!"

 

Face dropping, Jeongsu continued, "Come on, Jae. We are the best of buddies, aren't we?"

 

"Then shut up!"

 

Tiffany scrutinized Yuri intensively as if she had just seen her for the first time, causing Yuri to fidget uncomfortably. Unable to tolerate her stare anymore, Yuri spoke up, "Uh...Fany, is there something on my face?" Seeing her shaking her head, Yuri asked, "Then why are you looking at me like that?"

 

After what seemed like an eternity to Yuri, Tiffany answered honestly, "Because you are different today. Something is wrong with you. You aren't your usual self. Is something bothering you?"

 

"Fany, it's just your imagination. I'm fine. I'm still the same old me." Yuri said, laughing it off, hoping her laughter sounded normal.

 

"If you say so." Tiffany said, though she still had her suspicion and decided to let her off, "If anything is bothering you, feel free to tell me okay? Don't hide it from me."

 

"Sure." Yuri promised, with a huge grin, "Come on, let's start eating before our food turns cold."

 

"Yul, you know what I heard today?" Tiffany said, her voice full of excitement.

 

Habitually, Yuri asked back, her tone sounded quite bored which was quite a contrast from Tiffany, "The latest gossip again? What is it that causes you to be so excited?"

 

"Guess, Yul. You won't believe it, trust me."

 

This time, it caught Yuri's attention, "Really?"

 

"Yes." Tiffany said, nodding her head vigorously, "Want to make a bet?"

 

Believing her, Yuri asked, "Clue?"

 

"Kim Jaejoong."

 

Hearing his name, Yuri stiffened for a second and this time, it escaped Tiffany's notice because for one, she was too excited, thus her mind a little preoccupied with the news she heard today and also, it disappeared as quickly as it happened, "Is the new girlfriend from some other university?" Yuri asked normally, continuing to eat her takoyaki.

 

"No."

 

"Then?"

 

"Come on Yul, guess more. Don't be such a spoilsport."

 

"Fany, you know I at guessing games. Just tell me." Yuri said, chuckling.

 

"What a spoilsport." Tiffany said, pouting, making Yuri smiled..

 

"It is." Tiffany said mysteriously, trying to keep Yuri in suspense.

 

Raising her eyebrow, she waited for Tiffany to continue.

 

"Jaejoong Oppa didn't have any new girlfriends."

 

This time, without a doubt, she was dumbfounded. It was totally unexpected. Initially, she thought Tiffany was exaggerating. After all, rumors were mostly exaggerated and distorted to spice matters up.

 

"Fany, are you sure? Did you confirm it? Is the source reliable?"

 

This matter wasn't funny at all. Yuri didn't dare believe it so easily, 'Imagine if this piece of news got to auntie Kim. I wonder what her reaction would be.' Yuri wondered.

 

"Of course. Everyone saw it with their own pair of eyes. Even Park Jeongsu, his best buddy, confirmed it. Until now, no one has ever seen a new girl beside him so someone asked if it was from another school but Jeongsu Oppa said no."

 

Even if Yuri didn't want to believe it, she couldn't, "Indeed it is a big surprises. No wonder you sounded so excited just now."

 

"Of course, and now, rumors are beginning to spread around. Some people were wondering if it is because the break up with Sooyoung that was still affecting him."

 

"Then?"

 

"He said no."

 

"Jaejoong Oppa?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Then another guessed maybe this time he required longer time to find a new girlfriend as no girls in this school appeals to him anymore."

 

"Based on the rate of him changing girlfriends and his standard, its not surprising."

 

"Wow Yul, you actually noticed?!" Tiffany gasped. Yuri usually was in her own dreamland so unless Tiffany told her the news, Yuri didn't care much about what was going on around her.

 

"You told me every time he changed girlfriends, didn't you? And we have been schoolmates and classmates for years so it shouldn't be too surprising, right?" Yuri replied back casually, "Most of them are either the belle of the school or the class, isn't it?"

 

Not knowing what to say to that, Tiffany nodded.

 

"We will wait and see a week later. Maybe like what those people say, the girls in here lost their appeal so he had to start looking somewhere else. Don't jump to conclusion so fast."

 

"True. Yul, you are always so calm and rationale." Tiffany remarked, with a sigh, "When will the day come when you actually loses your mind?"

 

"I wouldn't wish for that." Yuri said, laughing.

 

"Why? Its going to be so interesting."

 

"For you." Yuri added, making Tiffany giving her an impish smile.

 

The next day, Yuri went to school with a cheery mood. This time, everything felt just like always, unlike yesterday. Yesterday night, she was still a little worried that her weirdness might be brought over until today because it had to be real serious and obvious for Tiffany to notice it but this morning, she was proven wrong. Thankfully. She just had this characteristic in her that whatever had been bothering her, after a good night sleep, things would revert back to normal and she was extremely grateful for that. Only that night incident was an exception.

 

Taking in a deep breath, Yuri continued her journey to school with a wide grin.

 

In a flash, another week had gone by. There was still no sight of Jaejoong with any girlfriends and the rumors in the school was growing stronger than ever and it became so hot until there was no one in the school that didn't know about it. Some even went as far as to follow him after school secretly, though most of them got caught by Jaejoong, "Yul." Tiffany said, running towards her the moment she saw her at the gate, grabbed her wrist and walked in with quick steps towards their class. Tiffany had been waiting for her impatiently for quite some time, "What is it Fany? What's the hurry?" Yuri queried, confused by her action.

 

"It has already been two weeks!" Tiffany exclaimed agitatedly, stressing on the word two.

 

"So?" Yuri asked, tilting her head to one side, still in a blur state.

 

Pausing for a while, Tiffany twirled around and cried out in disbelief, "Yul, don't you remember what you said last week?! That we will wait for a week and see if Jaejoong Oppa has a new girlfriend or not?!"

 

It took Yuri almost a minute before it dawned onto her, "Oh, yes."

 

Shaking her head resignedly, Tiffany continued, "Today is the day and you know what? There's still no sign of his girlfriend. The whole school is talking about it now."

 

On the way to class, they spotted a huge crowd. It wasn't hard to guess who the causes of it was. Soon enough, Jeongsu's voice was heard over the crowd.

 

"Everyone! Silence!" Jeongsu shouted, as loud as possible.

 

The effect was almost immediate as the buzzing died down; the crowd was waiting to listen to further announcement. Suddenly, the hall became so silent that Yuri and Tiffany wondered if the noises before were fake, "I know everyone is very curious and want to know if what you have been hearing is true or not." Jeongsu said, seeing everyone nodding their heads simultaneously.

 

"Yes!" Jeongsu declared loudly. Seeing that another wave of noises was about to begin, Jeongsu stopped it by making a signal for everyone to keep quiet.

 

"As for the reason, Jae told me personally that he wished to concentrate on his studies as this was his last year. So, people, don't be surprised if he doesn't have any girlfriends. Now that you all learn the truth, please leave us alone. We still have lessons to carry on and I believe the same goes to everyone of you."

 

Once Jeongsu finished his speech, the crowd began to disperse. Some didn't believe what Jeongsu had said and started guessing all kinds of reason for this sudden change while others walked off, discussing Jeongsu's announcement and their opinion on that matter.

 

"Seems like not much people are convinced." Jeongsu remarked, with a chuckled as they entered the class, "Can't blame them though. I still remember that time, in the middle of the exam, you got yourself a new girl. Where in the hell did you find the time? Most people were cramping their head to revises their work while you still got the free time to date. You don't know how much envy and jealous you received. A lot of people hated you and yet, love you for that, wishing they had your brain. Now, you suddenly say you want to concentrate on your studies; who will believe it? I doubt anyone out there will believe the word actually exists in your dictionary."

 

Ignoring the comment Jeongsu threw at him, Jaejoong took out the lecture notes for that morning lesson.

 

"Jae, did you go for the IQ test when you were young? If not, then how come even when you fool around, you can still be in the top while I'm only above average at the most. No one ever saw you being serious before, including me." Jeongsu said, sighing loudly.

 

Shrugging, Jaejoong said, "It's up to them whether to believe me or not. Anyway, time will prove everything." "Indeed." Jeongsu agreed, "Time will prove everything." Jeongsu said slowly and meaningfully.

 

Looking up at Jeongsu suspiciously, Jaejoong had a feeling he was talking about something else.