Reaching Out To You

Reaching Out To You

Chapter 14

 

Three minutes had passed. Yuri stood at the doorway that separated her and the rooftop, unable to make a decision. Enter or not? After a deep inhale of air, Yuri slowly stretched out her hand, reached for the doorknob, turned it and pushed it opened gently. Instantly, the wind breeze welcomed her. She could feel the wind blowing against her, her oval-shaped face felt dry and her mid-shoulder length dark brown hair was raised up and flew in accordance with the direction of the wind. She closed the door behind her and walked forward until she was near the fence and where she could catch the bird-eye view of the city she had been living in since she was born.

 

How long has it been since she last stepped in here?

 

How she missed this place. She took in a deep breath and could smell the familiar scent of morning fresh air. The sun had risen and the whole city brightened up. The city once again, bustle with activities like any normal day as people started a new day with its usual routine, adults going to work while children going to school. The quiet road regained its liveliness as more and more cars driving on the road to the respective destination. Everyday, the same cycle repeat again and again. However, this wasn't the cases for Yuri. Yuri heaved a troubled sigh. She felt different from before. When will her heart and mind be clear once again, like the morning sky? When will she be back to her usual self like the city that had never change at all?

 

In the midst of her thoughts, the sound of the door being open vibrated throughout the area and into her ear. Yuri turned around and groaned inwardly as she saw who the person was.

 

Kim Jaejoong, the person she had trouble facing and getting along normally for the past few weeks.

 

Giving her best smile possible and pushing away the strong urge to get out, she greeted him as naturally as possible, “Hi, Jae Oppa.”

 

As for Jaejoong, he was surprised to see her here. After weeks of disappointment, he never dared to dream that she would be here again, “Hi. Never expected to see you here.”

 

Yuri smiled sheepishly, not knowing how to answer, “I guess I just miss it here.”

 

Silence.

 

Each in their own thoughts.

 

Jaejoong was studying Yuri from behind, trying to understand what she was currently thinking while Yuri tried to calm down her anxiety, the sudden increase in her heartbeat and that uneasiness with him not far away from her. She knew he was scrutinizing her, therefore didn't dare look back. Instead, she put her focus on the view in front of her, trying to resume what she did before being interrupted and stopped thinking that the both of them were alone now, at the rooftop and why did the fact that both of them were alone should bother her?

 

Jaejoong walked forward until he was beside her and called, “Yul.”

 

“Yes?” She answered, but didn't face him. She was getting weirder day by day, she swore.

 

“What’s wrong with you? You are behaving differently for the last few weeks. If there’s anything troubling you, you can tell me. We are friends, aren’t we?”

 

Yuri stiffened for a second before answering, “I’m fine.” 'How convincing.' She added inwardly. Even she, herself, also knows she was weird. Who was she trying to convince?

 

A sign of sadness flashed past his expression. Did he really have to resort to that? Go according to Tiffany's plan? However, that was the only way out if he wanted an answer unless she was willing to tell him.

 

One last chance, “Yul, do you feel anything towards me? Even once?”

 

Her mind went blank. Now, she couldn't even see what was in front of her. In her head right now was the words that Jaejoong just asked. Feelings towards Jaejoong? Kim Jaejoong? That Jaejoong? Her neighbour for as long as she could remember, the person that she became friends with recently and the culprit for her weirdness? Somehow, it clicked and that frightened her.

 

“Yul?”

 

What's the next thing a person who was in her situation, confused and everything would do? “I'm sorry but I have to go.” Yuri said apologetically. Yes, run away and that was exactly what she was doing now, “See you later.” And strode towards the exit and ran down the stairs in her quickest speed, just like the time when she caught Jaejoong and Sooyoung kissing. Yuri hit her head and scold herself for thinking about the both of them again. Why did image of Jaejoong and Sooyoung keep intruding in her thoughts? How did it happened? When did it happened? She had no answer.

 

All she knew was she felt like she had lost her personal space for a very long time like years but in actual fact, it was only weeks. Yuri checked the time and found out she had another hour before the next lesson starts. Why did she have to come to school extra early than normal today? Sighing, Yuri headed towards the isolated place that had been her sanctuary recently.

 

Unknown to her, for her avoidance, she had to pay a price.

 

Jaejoong sighed as he stared at the view enviously. When would his clear, bright day come? “Yul, don’t blame me. You force me to do it, please don’t hate me?” Jaejoong mumbled, to no one in particular.

 

He decided to follow Tiffany's plan. There was no more doubt. In order to get the answer he wanted to know and for Yuri to face head-on with her truest, innermost feelings. It was time to make things clear between them and stopped being patience and giving her more time. Since Yuri refused to supply him her answer, he just had to force it out from her.

 

The chirping of the birds and the bright ray of the sun signaled another new day, a new morning. In her queen-size blue bed, Yuri hugged her soft toy, Mickey Mouse, sleeping so soundly until the sunlight shone on her. Furrowing her eyebrow by the sudden brightness, Yuri looked with squinted-eyes at the clock on her right. Yawning, Yuri place her mickey mouse nicely on her left which was leaning against her blue covered pillow and then stretched herself, preparing for the special day, her birthday. It would be one hell of a busy day!

 

How quick time flies, as fast as the birds outside flying from one place to another in seconds. Yuri sighed, took in a deep inhale of air and prepared herself mentally for the coming hours. Today, she officially became an adult, “Good morning mommy, daddy.” Yuri greeted in a cherry voice, and pecked their cheeks.

 

“Darling, you are officially an adult today so you should be more well-behaved.” Mrs. Kwon lectured motherly.

 

“But I don’t want.” Yuri said, pouting “I still want to be the baby girl in your heart.”

 

“Yes, yes. You are forever our little blackpearl princess.” Mr. Kwon said, chuckling.

 

Yuri grinned and ran into her dad’s embrace, “Of course, and will always be.”

 

“Seungheon, you are spoiling her.” Mrs. Kwon said, shaking her head, “She has to grow up one day.”

 

“Aecha, like you say, she has to and will grow up one day. For now, just let her be. How long are there left for us to spoil her?” Mr. Kwon said, smiling and ruffled his beloved daughter's head tenderly, “She has to get married and leave us one day.”

 

“Who says so? Daddy, I will stay with mommy and you for the rest of my life.”

 

“Let’s have our breakfast now before we start our busy day.” Mr. Kwon said, smiling.

 

Yuri obeyed and sat opposite of her mom, obediently eating her breakfast and in the middle of it having a conversation with her parents. The atmosphere was warm and comfortable. The maids smiled at the sight.

 

The rest of the day until evening had been a blur for the Kwon family as everyone was busy for the coming party. Some of the maids were busy with the decorations, some were busy with the food preparations while some were helping Yuri put on her makeup and as for Mr. and Mrs. Kwon, they were busy overseeing that everything had been in place, giving instructions to the maids and servants.

 

While sitting on her dressing table, Yuri gazed at herself in the mirror. Lately, she felt something deep inside her had altered, an alienated feeling that she had never come across. Hence, she had no clued what it was and how to deal with the sudden change in her. Sighing to herself, she rested her chin in the palm of her hand. She felt restless and oddly not herself. How can this be? She was she, right? God, she’s sounding mental slowly by the minute.

 

Unexpectedly, Tiffany appeared, smiling brightly at the doorway.

 

“Happy birthday Yul.” She said cheerfully, giving Yuri a tight hug.

 

Yuri grinned and nodded her head, “Thanks.” Not knowing why she glanced past Tiffany, looking for something even she didn’t know. Quickly, she dismissed her unexplainable action and held Tiffany by the elbow, showing her to the main room.

 

“Woah. Who are you trying to impress today, huh?” Yuri questioned, with a smirk, observing Tiffany's begonia bcbgmaxazria vanessa one-shoulder cascade ruffle slit dress.

 

Tiffany casually flicked her hair back, showing her silver/white majorica pearl and crystal drop earrings and said, “You? It’s your birthday and you deserve to see me look my best.”

 

“Ah, the corniness. Love it.” Yuri said, clicking her tongue and linked her arms around Tiffany's, “Thank god you are here early. I felt as though it was my fifty birthday instead of twenty-first.” Her eyes darted around the room where all her parents’ business friends were and Tiffany followed her surveillance.

 

“Right on.” Tiffany said, wincing and changed the topic, “I heard Jae Oppa is coming with Sooyoung and low-life Jeongsu Oppa is tagging along.” Touché.

 

Yuri rolled her eyes and said, “I'm sorry but I did invite Jeongsu Oppa.”

 

“You what? Come again?”

 

“I invited him.” Yuri repeated firmly.

 

Tiffany gaped and alarmingly said, “Why? He’s the biggest prick.”

 

“You are not one to talk.” A husky male voice said, out of the blue. Yuri and Tiffany swung around to find Jeongsu standing behind them with a unfamiliar girl in his arms, “You are beside the point. Step aside hag.” Jeongsu rebutted, casting an indifferent look at Tiffany and onto Yuri, the birthday girl, “Happy birthday Yul. You are hitting the jackpot at this age.”

 

Yuri's head swung back laughing, “Sure am and who may this friend of yours be?” Yuri questioned.

 

“Amber Liu. My date for the night and here is our gift to you.” Jeongsu said, looked at his girlfriend as she pulled out a little box in her peanut/gold michael kors hamilton saffiano leather tote handbag and gave it to Yuri.

 

Amber smiled gently and wished her a happy birthday with a hug. They talked for a bit about trivial things until Tiffany asked Jeongsu, “Where’s Jae Oppa?”

 

“He went to pick up Sooyoung from her place. They should be here soon.” He answered, looking out of the door and swiftly glanced back at Tiffany.

 

'So, it was true. Jae Oppa and Sooyoung might still have something going on.' Yuri settled on dismissing those thoughts and continued to have fun at her party; it was her birthday after all. An hour have passed and her mingling was getting a bit tiring hence she took a stroll upstairs, wanting to rest in her room for a bit. However, she caught sight of Jaejoong and Sooyoung coming towards her direction with Sooyoung looking beautiful as ever alongside Jaejoong who was smiling at her from ear to ear. She blinked shockingly. He looked far more mature and handsome than usual or had he always been this attractive? But she just never realized it until tonight? She felt her stomach do a flip flop and tried her best to put on an assuring smile.

 

He was sure he saw a tiny evidence of weariness in Yuri's eyes when she met his. Perhaps she was tired already? For a fact, he knew Yuri wasn't uses to all these commotion and preferred quiet relaxing time alone. Jaejoong scanned her and couldn’t help but notice the hot coral nicole miller feliz flower jaquard peep whole dress she had on. It was as though it was designed solely for her existence. Those beautiful eyes had forever drew him to her and tonight, it was even more difficult to resists as he had been yearning for her for far too long.

 

After greeting each other, Sooyoung excused herself to the bathroom and he stood alongside her, inhaling in her soothing scent. For a few minutes of silence, Yuri was gazing at the guests and everyone was presence. She was strangely quiet tonight; Jaejoong noted, watching her and couldn’t help tucking some strands of hair behind her ear. Yuri looked up at him with a hint of redness appearing on her cheeks.

 

“You look exquisite tonight.” Jaejoong whispered, leaning down to her left ear.

 

Yuri swallowed hard, trying to find her voice and replied, stammering “You...You, too.”

 

He smiled down at her and without noticing, she beamed in return. They stood there for a few minutes, talking to one another and share light laughter until Yuri had to rush off to meet a cousin of hers which she hadn’t seen for over eight years. Jaejoong stood there, watching her hourglass figure disappearing into the mass of crowd and smiled. He was certain; she was the woman he wanted to spend the remaining time of his life with. As funny as it sounded, he’s only twenty-one as well but nothing could replace such strong feelings he had for Yuri. In his eyes, she was all he ever saw.

 

“Jaejoong Oppa?” Sooyoung said, tapping his shoulder.

 

Snapping out of his trance, he turned his attention to Sooyoung and said, “Yeah?”

 

“Do you have a moment? I have something to tell you.” She spoke softly, and clasped her hands together. Nodding, they advanced towards the balcony with the view of the glamorous garden. Sooyoung rested her arms on the balcony and gazed at the full bloom flowers then turned around to face Jaejoong, “What was I to you?” She asked, going straight to the point.

 

“Soo, we have been through this before and I will be blunt.” He replied, “You were just one of my girlfriends but now, I really appreciate your friendship.”

 

She looked at him, pleading in senses, “But I don’t want to be a friend. I want more than that and I can’t lie to myself any longer. I still love you so very much.”

 

It came as a surprised to Jaejoong but he had already made up his mind that he won’t devote himself to anyone but Yuri, “I’m sorry but I can’t return your...”

 

“Why are you so in love with Yuri? She doesn’t even return your feelings. She doesn’t care about you. All she sees in you is a friend. That’s it.” Sooyoung said, interrupting Jaejoong, noticing Yuri's figure behind the curtains and remained fixated on Jaejoong's face.

 

Jaejoong's back was towards the entrance to the balcony, thus he didn’t see Yuri's presence at the site, “I’m fine with that. One day, she will notice my affection for her, she would definitely. When that time comes, if she rejects my feelings then its okay because her existence itself is already a miracle to me.”

 

“If you believe she would grow to love you then why don’t you give me a chance and grow to love me?” Sooyoung said, her voice sounding gentle, yet held a tinge of sorrow in it. The expression she had on her face made Jaejoong felt inhumane for doing all these to her.

 

He ruffled his short, black hair and knew there was no other way; he can’t allow her to have anymore hope left for him. It’s better to be in pain for a short period of time than lingering it, making it hurt all the more, “If you are so persistent then I have nothing else to say. Let's not talk or see each other from now on; it would help you get over me.”

 

Sooyoung pulled onto his sleeve and her vision became blurry, “Don’t...Don’t do this. I will do anything. We can date without people knowing and if by time you still don’t love me, I will let you go to Yuri. She doesn’t even have to know.” She whimpered, looking down, not wanting him to see her teary eyes.

 

Jaejoong lifted her chin up and looked straight into her eyes, “The Sooyoung I know wouldn’t say those things. She would have her head held up high and tell me what I’m losing out on.” He softly replied, and said, “This isn't you." “Oppa, I...”

 

“I love Yuri. There’s only one Yuri and no one can replace her.” He interrupted, smiling kindly.

 

She wiped her tears away and pushed his hands away, “Thank you for being honest with me.” She summoned all her strength to put on a smile and said, “Yuri better know how fortunate she is. If not, she can push you to me any day.”

 

With that, they smiled at one another and Sooyoung left and Jaejoong turned around to lock eyes with Yuri who was standing still at where she was, looking at him perplexity in the eyes, 'Crap!' He cussed. Sooyoung walked pass Yuri and gave her an encouraging smile, wanting her to go to Jaejoong. She slowly stepped forward, towards where he was standing and gulped.

 

In her entire life, she had never felt so confused and ashamed of herself. She was an ignorant fool! There were so many signs from Jaejoong of his true intentions for her yet, she was unaware of her surroundings. What was she? Someone that only care about herself? Perhaps. Yuri looked into Jaejoong's eyes and was lost for words. After such sincere confession from him earlier to Sooyoung, she was no doubt astonished. He held those strong feelings and vows for her? Just for her? She couldn’t believe it when she heard it but now, the gaze in his eyes told her he meant no less than what he claimed before. She was a fool for not realizing it sooner. Not admitting to her feelings, assuming it wasn’t there. Her emotions that flew rapidly throughout her body for Jaejoong.

 

There were so many questions she wanted to ask him, yet she didn’t know where to begin. Thus, she simply asked, “How long?” Have you been loved me, she wanted to continue but didn’t have the voice to.

 

Jaejoong ruffled his hair in anxiety at the situation he was in. Yuri finally knew about his admiration for her and he’s supposed to be happy, right? Though, on the other side of the coin, he was afraid. He had never been this troubled for any purposes. Yet, here he was, fidgeting with his hand and not forming correct sentences, “I...I don’t know. Don’t worry about it.” He paused, “If it bothers you then I’m sorry.” Jaejoong glanced around, not wanting to looked her in the eye, scared of what will be shown there, “I wasn’t planning to tell you because...because I know you aren't ready.”

 

Oh no, she had to looked somewhere else before tears trickled down her cheeks. Quickly, she walked forward, passing Jaejoong and studied the garden below. Her eyes became hazy at the same time as smiling to herself, she looked up at the starry sky. There wasn’t much to be said because as clear as the night sky that day, she was confident at what she was feeling for once.

 

Without anymore words being exchanged, they both stayed in their own world and enjoy the soft night breeze while the people in the ballroom started dancing.

 

Sooyoung beamed vibrantly and caught eyes with Tiffany. They gave a wink to one another and she strolled over to where Tiffany was and said, “Job done.”

 

“Great performance. The night is rolling.” Tiffany said, lifting her flute and gave Sooyoung a light toast.

 

They sip a bit of their wine and Sooyoung questioned, “What are you doing now?”

 

“I got another moron couple to combine.” Tiffany said, sighing, relaxing one shoulder, “Mission number two, coupling of the morons.”

 

“You shouldn’t be called Tiffany! It should be cupid!” Sooyoung exclaimed, chuckling.

 

Tiffany nodded her head and replied, “The things I do for humanity, man. Even I have to be amazed at my endless love for the brainless human beings.”

 

“You are one too, if you haven’t realized that.” Sooyoung pointed out calmly, and caught eyes with someone familiar, “Well, I’m off. Caught another prey for the night.” She said, patting Tiffany on the shoulder.

 

Tiffany turned and met Sooyoung's eyes, “I'm sorry for getting you to do it. It must have been difficult.” Tiffany said, most apologetically.

 

Sooyoung shook her head and grinned, “It wasn’t difficult because I merely said what my true feelings are.” With that, she left Tiffany and advance towards another male figure.

 

Tiffany was left watching Sooyoung and held a hint of pity for the girl, however, she knew Sooyoung would hate that. Oh well, tonight she’s going to be busy getting people together. Fun, fun, fun. She started roaming around the vicinity to look for Krystal and at last, she ran into her near the bathroom.

 

“Tiffany. I have been looking for you all over. What was it that you called me before and wanted to tell me?” Krystal questioned innocently.

 

She took Krystal to a quieter area of the house at the back where the laundry room was, “Do you know where Changmin Oppa is?” Tiffany asked.

 

“No. Why are you looking for him?”

 

Playing with her fingers, in a soft whisper, she said, “I’m going to confess my feelings to him. I think he would like me too, don’t you think?”

 

It came as a great surprises for Krystal as her oval-shaped face conveyed it all. The shock and horror that was being displayed could have made a great bribery to her later on in the future.

 

“Erm...What do you see in him?”

 

“He’s the best. Oppa is cute, smart, witty, sometimes evil and especially, knows how to treat a woman well.”

 

Krystal nodded and stared down at her long fingers, “Well, I don’t know. I can’t imagine you guys together. Like, he’s...you...Just don’t make the picture.”

 

“Why not? I think I’m his perfect match.” Tiffany said, waving a hand, looking dreamily far off in the distance, “Anyway, that was what I wanted to tell you that I’m going to confess my undying love to him. Will you support me?”

 

“Er...I guess.”

 

“Great, I know you would. You don’t care anyway because you don’t even like him.” Tiffany said, grinning.

 

'Tonight seemed to be a long night.' Sooyoung thought, as she rested her head upon the warm, firm chest of Lee Hyukjae. She closed her eyes and allowed him to slowly lead her with the music. It was strange for a starter because she could have fallen asleep in his arms just like this if he hadn’t called her name.

 

“Hm?”

 

“We haven’t talk in a while. How was your vacation?” He asked her, with utmost politeness.

 

This was what she wanted, someone to respect her, “It was wonderful!” Sooyoung exclaimed, smiling happily. Hyukjae tenderly caress her face and murmured, “You are more pretty than ever.”

 

She blushed underneath his warm touched and gazed up at him. Maybe new wasn't always the best, maybe at times you have to go back and dig out things from the past and you will find something amazing there. She had definitely. This time, she was going to give him much more than their last relationship when she was merely a child at heart. Now, she was a woman readily, wanting to feel love.

 

A/N: here's a little description of the yunfany fanfic 'Our Unexpected Journey of Fate and Destiny', i will be coming up with :)

'Thinking nothing of it, little Yunho did what his parents said, kissing little Tiffany to seal a promised. After years apart, will he still keep the promise? How will Tiffany react to this promise? And what happens when people start coming into their lives?'