KaiSoo - Dead Silent

EXO OTP One-Shots, Short Stories, and More

In which Jongin doesn't know he's gone insane.

 

"Come on, Kyungsoo. Don't you wanna eat?" Jongin questioned his unmoving husband. When Kyungsoo didn't respond, Jongin sighed. "I guess I'll just put your plate in the fridge. Let's go get you into the bath."

 

Kyungsoo still said nothing. Jongin groaned. "What's wrong, Kyungsoo? Don't you love me anymore?"

 

No response. Jongin rolled his eyes. He pulled back his husband's chair and picked him up. "You're heavy, Kyung. Can't you at least try to walk?"

 

By now Jongin had grown accustomed to a silent household, save for his own futile attempts to talk to Kyungsoo. So when he ended up carrying a limp man to the bathroom, he wasn't surprised.

 

I wonder what people would think if they saw this, he thought. He smiled tenderly at the beautiful man in front of him before seating him on the counter. "I'll draw the bath. Think you can get undressed? No, of course not."

 

He quietly removed Kyungsoo's clothing. By then the water had filled the tub. He lifted his husband again in lowered him into the water. He hummed while lathering soap all over his body. When he was done, Jongin lifted him out of the tub and dried him gently with a towel. Once he had dressed him, Jongin carried Kyungsoo out and sat him on the couch.

 

"What do you say we watch a movie? Let's watch Titanic," he said. Kyungsoo stared at him blankly. Jongin shut his eyes tightly and yawned. Sometimes he swore it was like Kyungsoo wasn't even alive. It was quite tiring, and a month of caring for a mute and seemingly paralyzed man was catching up to him.

 

"I must look terrible. You're hard to care for, Kyung. Let's just watch this then sleep."

 

He settled in next to his husband. A smile found its way to his face when Kyungsoo's head drooped onto his shoulder. They enjoyed the movie in silence, only to be interrupted by a loud knocking on the door.

 

"Open up, Jongin."

 

Jongin simply groaned in annoyance. "No. You've been doing this for the past month, Chanyeol," he responded to the person at his doorstep.

 

"Kim Jongin! Open this ing door right now!" Sehun yelled.

 

Jongin groaned again. He got up reluctantly and opened the door. "What's your problem?"

 

Standing outside his apartment were four of his best friends. "Our problem is that you've been holed up in here for a month with absolutely no human contact."

 

Ex-best friends.

 

"What's it to you, Luhan? You and Sehun are probably too busy screwing each other to care."

 

Sehun gritted his teeth and his hands curled into fists. "I swear, if you weren't grie-"

 

Jongin snapped. "Can't you guys see I'm just trying to have a nice night with my husband?"

 

Sehun looked confused. Baekhyun peered past Jongin and into the living room, straight at Kyungsoo's limp form. Suddenly, he gasped in horror. He tugged on Chanyeol's shirt and whispered, "Yeol, look."

 

The rest of the group, curious, looked in the direction Baekhyun had. Luhan let out a little shriek and immediately latched onto Sehun. Chanyeol stared.

 

"He's gone insane!" Sehun exclaimed.

 

Jongin clutched his head in frustration. "What the is wrong with all of you?"

 

Luhan was practically sobbing into Sehun's shoulder while the latter stared at Jongin in horror. Poor Baekhyun looked traumatized. "Yeol, I don't think he realized."

 

Chanyeol swallowed and nodded grimly. "Jongin, are you alright?"

 

Jongin glared at him. "Of course I'm alright, ."

 

"Look, I don't know how to tell you this." Sehun started.  

 

Chanyeol finished the statement for him. "Jongin, Kyungsoo's been dead for a month now."

 

A/N: Inspired by a news article I read about a woman who lived with her mother's corpse for three years.