TaoRis - The Ghost of You

EXO OTP One-Shots, Short Stories, and More

In which a stranger must convince Tao not to jump.

 

"Don't do it."

 

Tao turned suddenly when the voice spoke. "Who's there?"

 

"Me." A figure stepped out of the shadows, wearing jeans and a hoodie and cap that covered his face.

 

"Who are you?" Tao asked.

 

"I'm someone who made the same mistake you are about to make."

 

Tao growled at the man. "The only mistake here is me. The world will be so much better off without me. Besides, I have nothing left to live for," he snarled.

 

The man shook his head. "You're not a mistake."

 

"Yes I am."

 

"Don't do it, Tao. You'll hurt so many people."

 

Tao laughed darkly. "Again, nothing left. Everyone hates me. Even him," he choked out. "Or, he used to anyway. It's impossible to know what he's feeling now."

 

The stranger shook his head again. "Trust me, he doesn't hate you."

 

"Whatever," Tao said. He turned back to face the thirty-story drop before him.

 

"Don't do it. Please."

 

"And why shouldn't I? I have every reason to."

 

"No you don't. You have a full life ahead of you. You have loving friends and family."

 

Tao simply shrugged. "I know this is what's right."

 

"No it's not. Trust me, I should know. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem," the stranger said. "I regret it so much. Funny thing is, I never realized how many people would miss me until it was too late."

 

"How would you know?" Tao asked. "You haven't tried."

 

Shadow Man, as Tao had decided to call him, stepped onto the ledge. "Watch this," he whispered. Then he jumped.

 

Tao screamed as Shadow Man's body fell from the rooftop. It was too much, watching his body crumple against the cement just like his had. He began sobbing uncontrollably.

 

"Shh, it's okay. I'm here."

 

Tao whirled around in surprise. Shadow Man was standing behind him, in mint condition. "B-b-but, you just-" Tao stuttered.

 

Shadow Man hugged Tao. To the panda's astonishment, when he tried to hug him back, his arms went straight through him. He recoiled immediately in fear.

 

"What the hell?"

 

Shadow Man chuckled softly. "You don't get it, do you. I'm dead. I'm a ghost. I'm only here to stop you from making the same mistake as me."

 

Tao sat on the ledge, disbelieving. "If you're a ghost, why aren't you scary? If you're a ghost, then who are, I mean were, you?"

 

Shadow Man laughed again. "Do you really want to know?"

 

Tao nodded.

 

"It'll be upsetting."

 

Tao narrowed his eyes. "I want to know. Tell me or I'll slap you with my Gucci."

 

Shadow Man giggled, "There's the Tao I know and love." His tone softened. "What happened, Tao? You used to be so happy."

 

"He happened," Tao sighed. "Any self-respect I had died along with him. He was my only reason for living."

 

"What if I told you he hates seeing you like this?" Shadow Man asked. "What if I told you he wants you to stay alive, for his sake? To finish what he never could?"

 

Tao grinned. "I'd say you're full of bull."

 

"It's true," Shadow Man said defensively.

 

"Prove it."

 

"I will."

 

Shadow Man pulled off his hood and cap. Tao gasped, and a tear rolled down his cheek.

 

"Kris?"

 

A/N: Aish... I'm so depressing. I'm really sorry. I'm just much better at this kind of stuff.