CHAPTER 14

Photograph
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hey, can you pick me up from the airport?” 

 

“Yeah, sure, what happened?”

 

“My dad is in the hospital.”

 

“What the hell? When did you guys start talking again?”

 

“He called me yesterday.”

 

“What hospital is it?”

 

“Heckburn.” 

 

“Okay.” Thank God I can always count on Kiko. 

 

“It’s going to be okay, Ji.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“I love you.” 

 

“I love you, too.” 

 

I hang up and half an hour later, I see her black Audi. 

 

“Hey, babe.”

 

“Hey, thanks for doing this.”

 

“It’s fine.” She kisses my cheek and I smile down at her. 

 

—————

 

“Adam?” 

 

“Son, are you here?”

 

I forget to reply as I look at the tubes connected to him. There are machines beeping all over the room and he can barely talk. 

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I got sick a couple of months ago.”

 

“What happened?” Reluctantly, I step closer and a part of me wants to hold his hand but then I remember he left me. The rage is back. 

 

“Cancer.” He lightly shrugs. 

“What type?”

 

“Lung. I think I smoked one too many cigarettes.” He chuckles.

 

“Why haven’t you told mom?”

 

“She’s remarried. She has a new life now. Why am I going to drag her down with me?”

 

“You still have a son together. She needs to know.”

 

“Jiyong, not now.”

 

“Fine.” I sigh.

 

“Why did you call me?”

 

“I wanted to apologize… It’s funny how people always apologize when they’re going to die.”

 

“Don’t say that.”

 

“It’s the truth. I don’t think I have much time left. Let me apologize, Jiyong.”

 

I nod and watch as he struggles to sit up. I try to help him but he shakes his head.

 

“I’m sorry for leaving you. We were so young and I know that’s a bull excuse. I let the alcohol drown out the love I had for your mother. God, I loved that woman so much. She was the one, but life always finds a way to break true love apart. When I left, I felt horrible but I can't imagine what your mom went through, raising you alone. That’s why I’m thankful she found someone new because she can be loved in a way that only she deserves. I know you hate me. She’s told me how you feel and I don’t blame you. I don’t deserve to be called ‘Dad’. I just want to make things right. You deserve an apology. You deserve so much more than this. I’m so sorry.” He breaks down crying, holding his head in his hands. I’ve never witnessed something like this. I hated him so much growing up and now here I am, in his hospital room watching him cry. I wish Chaerin could be here so she could tell me what to do. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter