CHAPTER 10

Photograph
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wake up in my bed, foggy and dizzy. My hangover is killing me already and I woke up five seconds ago. I grab my phone and it's already two in the afternoon. Quickly, I take a shower and put on some sweats and a shirt. 

"Honey, can you help me pack these boxes?" My mom gives me a quick kiss and I grab the "BOOKS" box and put it in the car. My mom is sending my dad the last of his things via boxes which she mails every week. Their divorce is going to be finalized soon and she doesn't want anything to do with him, not even books. I stare at the boxes in the trunk and smile at the memories. Anna is also packing her things; she's going to college this fall. God, she's grown up so much. I wish I had spent more time with her instead of Jiyong. Our relationship was strained for a long time but it's getting better. We stay up talking sometimes and now that she met a boy, I try to talk to her as much as possible about love. I just want to warn her but she's willing to take the risk of falling in love. I put my arm around her shoulder and she hands me a juice box as we watch our mom count all the boxes. 

"Anna, are you going to see your dad before you go off to college?" The crease in my mom's forehead widens.

"I don't think so. I already saw him this summer."

"Are you sure?" I ask her. 

"Yeah, it's just going to be awkward with Ashley there." She was his mistress when I was in high school, that's why he came home so late for so many nights. It wasn't work; it was pleasure. My mom rolls her eyes at the mention of her name and I signal at Anna for us to go upstairs and let her be alone while she says goodbye to all his stuff. We run up the stairs and go to her room. 

"Chae, we kissed." The words stumble out of and my eyes widen. 

"Are you serious? How was it?"

"Like nothing I've ever felt before. I swear, I can still feel his lips on mine." I smile at her words because they're so familiar. I remember telling myself that the first time we kissed. 

"Has he called you?" 

"I think I'm just going to make the first move and do it."

"Look at you, all grown up!" I , grabbing a magazine off her bedside table. I take off my shoes and read the gossip pages when I spot something that I didn't want to see. Oh. My. God. He's in the ing magazine. There are pictures of him leaving a club, with her. 

"Chae, what's wrong? You're pale as ." Anna comes closer and stares at the magazine when she gasps, she saw it too. 

"I didn't know he was in there. That's a new issue, I'm so sorry." 

I just stare at the bright pictures and shake my head in disbelief. Do his parents know he's been clubbing in London while we're worrying about him. I'm so stupid. 

"What does it say?"

"MultiplatInum artists, Jiyong, out with girlfriend, walking out of a London club in the early morning of the hours: LOVE BIRDS. What the hell is this ? Love birds?" I roll my eyes at the cringey headline and hand Anna the magazine. She shakes her head as she reads it again and she throws it in the garbage can. 

"Anna, you didn't have to do that. It was a new issue." I smile at her. 

"If I know his face is going to show up, I don't want to read it." She smiles back. 

"I'm really going to miss you." I hold her hand and pull her to sit next to me on the bed. 

"Me too." She rests her head on my shoulder. 

"Are you leaving next month?"

"Yeah, I want to get there a month early."

"How responsible." I tease. She sits up and looks at the door. 

"Do you miss him?"

"All the time."

"How does that feel like?"

"What, hearbreak?"

"Yeah."

"It just makes your body ache. There's nothing to treat the pain, you just have to live with it until you get over it."

"It's been a year since he left... do you think you'll move on?"

"Well, he kept showing up all this time but I think he's really moved on, so maybe."

"Have you met anyone in college?" She nudges me.

I smile, "Not really. I've made friends but I don't really want a boyfriend right now."

She stays silent and she walks over to the vinyl record player. I hear the unpackaging of a vinyl and then I hear the familiar voice. 

"Settle down with me

Cover me up

Cuddle me in

Lie down with me

And hold me in your arms"

"Holy . Why are you playing this?"

"You need to move on. I've read that looking at old pictures or listening to old songs can help you."

"Like taking off the bandage quickly?" I laugh.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter