Interlude 5: Bounce

Thirty Percent True

It’s one of those moments when the boys are on stage in their ready positions for the next number. Then the beat starts pumping and the group is set in motion. They're dancing and singing, fuelled by the energy of the fans.

All the while, Mark is doing his best to concentrate. He can’t help it if he’s distracted. He knows he should be focused on getting the acrobatics right. At practice, his trainer kept reminding him that his legs should be higher than his shoulders during the side twirl maneuver. And Mark finds it ironic because he’s been living for the past three days with his head over heels.

Hips are swaying and shoulders are shimmying in synchronized movements. And Mark is thinking about the next time they’ll meet again. The next moment they’ll have to talk plainly, to laugh, to make silly jokes that lead to unnecessary (yet also very necessary) body contact.

Mark raps some ad lib into the mic and then falls into position next to Jinyoung. Mark can’t turn around to face him, and he begins to wonders if Jinyoung's as focused as he is. Then the moment in the chorus comes in. Yugyeom lifts the back of Mark’s shirt, baring denim clad buttocks to the audience. It’s all at once very awkward and very goofy as his long legs serve a rather shameful twerk.

The music continues.

Mark is thinking of the places they can go next. Maybe they could try going to the museum or the park. And after they could go to the dumpling place they always pass by on the drive home. Or maybe the new grill house that opened up, the one with the rave reviews that everyone keep talking about. And after that they can stop by a café, or an ice cream shop, or a bakery. Jinyoung said once that he loves macaroons...

And then Mark is pondering the moment he’ll get with Jinyoung after. He’s thinking about an alley or a rooftop, or a bench in the park. He’s thinking about hands in hands and lips to lips.

And the moment in the music comes on when it’s Jinyoung’s turn to shake his booty. But unlike Mark, Jinyoung knows how to present himself. He doesn’t shove his to the audience, but rather teases them with a side profile. He doesn’t wait for Yugyeom to pull his shirt away, but rather tugs it away himself because he has conviction. He squats slightly and shakes it passionately with the flair of confidence and seduction.

It takes all of Mark’s concentration to remember his subsequent dance steps. A singular thought races through his head, filling him with excitement and pride:

Yeah, that’s my boyfriend.