Interlude 12: Relieved

Thirty Percent True

It’s Mark’s turn.

He takes a step forward out of the line with his bandmates. He’s striding in front of the cameras and lights, though he pays no attention to them. He turns and begins to read from his letter.

“To Junior, our team’s shadow.”

He takes a cautios glance up. Jinyoung’s appears to be a little shocked at being the target of an open address for the second time that day. The rest of the boys are smiling. No one’s really seen this side of him, the charming knight declaring his affection -- at least it has never been as sincere for a variety show broadcast until now.

“Thank you for teaching me about Korean knowledge in episode 7. If there’s a chance I will teach you things about America. I will put effort in teaching you English and make you a successful Hollywood actor.”

He looks up. Jinyoung is smiling delicately, warmly.

“Shadow, Saranghaeyo.”

Jinyoung steps forward, embracing Mark.

Mark knocks on Jinyoung’s door before walking in. Jinyoung’s on his knees, neatly packing some clothes in to his suitcase – a collection of t-shirts and some collared ones, as well as a pair of swimming trunks that Mark specifically requested Jinyoung bring out of his entire collection of wetwear.

“We’re finally done.” Mark says, with as much excitement as he can muster from a whole day of filming. He lies down, sprawling on Jinyoung’s mattress to make evident his fatigue.

“We definitely needed this.” Jinyoung comments.

“I can’t wait for you to meet my family. And you can sleep with me in my bed.”

“And if you’re family finds out? I think having the guys and the manager know is enough for a while.”

“We’ll just be extra careful. They’re all at work or school anyways while we visit. And my friend said she’d be happy to take Yugyeom out to the mall.”

She?” “I hope she’s pretty.”

“Of course. And just his type too.” Mark prides. “Visit America, fall in love, what more could you ask for?”

“I still can’t believe you said it.”

“What?”

Jinyoung shuts the lid of his suitcase, before standing up and turning to the boy on his bed. With a tired walk, he crawls on top of the mattress, placing his chin on Mark’s chest.”

“Sa-rang-hae-yo.”

Mark chuckles. “I meant it.”

“You said it on camera so it doesn’t count.”

“Hey.” Mark places a gentle hand on Jinyoung’s cheek. “I love you. I told you it’d get better.”

Jinyoung smiles. He gets up a little to get closer to Mark to give him a kiss. It’s short, with lips closed, but it feels all the more profound. Jinyoung then returns to his former position, though with the side of his head to Mark’s chest. They lie like that for a while, with Jinyoung’s ear to Mark’s heartbeat, with his head rising and falling gently with each inhale and exhale. A moment later and a spot on Mark’s shirt feels wet. He can’t see Jinyoung’s face, but he’s bringing his hand to his face.

Mark hears him sniffling. He gets up, which prompts Jinyoung to sit up as well, though his head is lowered to hide his face.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just relieved. I can't wait for tomorrow.” Jinyoung says. His eyes are a little red, but he's still smiling.

“I wanted to ask you something before.”

“What is it?”

Mark stands up, pacing around Jinyoung’s room in search of something.

“Where’s your laptop?”

Jinyoung points it out to him, underneath a hoodie he wore for one cold morning past. Mark opens up the laptop, inputting the password that Jinyoung gave him, after all the times they watched movies in his room together. Mark doesn't show him what he's doing -- a few clicks on his keyboard and music starts playing.

“Would you dance with me Jinyoung?”

Jinyoung is surprised before he starts grinning from ear to ear. Wordless, he gets up and instinctively places his arms around Mark’s shoulders. Mark wraps his arms around Jinyoung’s waist.

Pabo.”

“I was going to do this when we got to L.A. but I couldn’t wait.”

The music plays onward. There’s a piano introduction before a woman begins singing. It’s soulful. It’s endearing. It’s bittersweet. Mark can feel Jinyoung’s eyes wrinkling on his neck when he recognizes what they’re dancing to. They’re waltzing slowly, minimally. They take their time as they take each step in unison.

To Mark, it feels exactly how he wants to endure every trial, how he wants to spend every happy moment with Jinyoung – together with him.

“I love you too, Mark.”

 


A/N: One more chapter to go! If you're wondering what the song was, it's Seinabo Sey's cover of Rather Be by Clean Bandit. Hence why Jinyoung recognized it ;).