Interlude 4: Rather Be

Thirty Percent True

Mark had knocked for the umpteenth time.

“Are you there, Jinyoung?”

No response. They hadn’t talked for a week, and Mark was desperate to talk spend some alone time with him. It was after all their day off. Another lazy Sunday morning, to which most of the boys had went out to seize the day. Save for, Bambam who was in the kitchen cleaning up after breakfast.

Muffled sounds came from within, which Mark could easily identify to be the Busan boy.

“Are you changing or something?”

The muffled sounds continued with no reaction to Mark’s inquiry.

Lately, Jinyoung had been quiet. If anything, Mark felt like Jinyoung was turned off by him. Jinyoung made casual jokes with everyone. But as soon as Mark entered the picture, the edges of his smile would drop slightly – his laughter would be a second shorter, and a couple decibels quieter. Mark even kissed the boy on the cheek, though Jinyoung had made no attempt to acknowledge it ever happened.

Hence why Mark showed up at his door with two spoons and a tub of ice cream he managed to pick up at the convenience store promptly after breakfast.

“Hello, Jinyoung-Umma? Time for a break!”

It could be that Jinyoung was sleeping and talking in his sleep. Or, Jinyoung was reading out loud with his headphones on. Or he was on the phone, talking up something dire. Hence, the older boy was stuck in a dilemma – to either burst in uninvited, or to ask Bambam if he wanted dessert with his breakfast.

 Carpe Diem, kid.

Mark, turned the knob and pushed the door in slightly. He put an eye through the slit and scanned the bed. The covers were messily sprawled over the mattress, but no boy was found to be slumbering. Mark then pushed the door through further, inching his facing a little further passed the threshold.

Immediately, Mark was startled by a boy who dashed quickly in and out of Mark’s line of sight. Realizing that Jinyoung was awake, and moving, Mark pushed the door all the way.

“Nah, nah, nah nah nah. No place I’d rather be!” Jinyoung had sung in a mildly accented English.

Mark was right about one thing – Jinyoung had his headphones on. What he didn’t expect was a boy in a shirt and boxers dancing in his room.

The intruder hid a giggle as the boy danced in front of him, his back turned towards the door, and his body soaking in the rays of sun that had gloriously shone through the bedroom window. His hips were ing awkwardly, though passionately, his arms making circles then rising above the boys slumber-crowned head of hair. While Jinyoung had been known to be a surprisingly dancer at times, Mark had bore witness to something goofier, quirkier, and definitely very candid.

“When I am with you, there’s no place I’d rather be!”

Then the dancer spun on a heel unsuspectingly towards the door. Mark was clad in tank top and basketball shorts, convenience store baggy in hand, and a rather amused look on his face. Immediately, Jinyoung pulled the headphones from his ears.

“Hey.” The bewildered and embarrassed boy said, catching his breath. He rubbed his ears in response to the blood flooding through.

Mark lifted the arm with the ice cream and the spoons. “I brought dessert!”