Orpheus

Thirty Percent True

Jinyoung’s heart is pumping. He’s with Mark and Yugyeom, waiting in line to check in to their flight with their luggage. Mark and Yugyeom are talking about the girl that Mark is secretly planning to set Yugyeom up with.

“Ask her yourself when we get there.”

“But hyung…” and Yugyeom ceases his questions with a reluctant sigh.

Jinyoung isn’t paying attention. Something else has is attention.

Aish -- I think I left something in the car.”

“Was it important? Do you want us to wait for you?”

“You guys go ahead, I’ll call manager-hyung to come back.”

Jinyoung catches a serious glance from Yugyeom before he leaves the line, baggage in tow. He steps out of the airport and onto the drop-off area. He’s grateful he can be afforded a moment of peace – not many people seem to recognize him or perhaps care to do so. He doesn’t call the manager. He doesn’t phone anyone. He stands there, watching the taxis and buses unload their cargo of business nomads and tourists. As he watches, he ponders. He reminisces on the events that have led up to this moment.

He remembers stumbling upon a boy who wanted to learn how to fly.

Aren’t you scared of injuring yourself when you flip?

I do it because I care about my family. GOT7 is my family and I want to show them I care.

He remembers the same boy who lifted him up on occasion over late night television.

I’m just not naturally funny on camera like you or Jackson.

But still, you’re more than just a pretty face.

He’s remembering how his heart burst when he heard that boy’s confession, followed by a kiss under the lights of a sleepless city.

You’re not small, Jinyoung. You’re brilliant. You’re the one I’m searching for in this city of millions.

He’s thinking about their moments in bed together. He’s thinking about hours without words, and only his skin and his lips.

Kiss me.

Do you trust me?

I do.

He’s recalling all their directionless rabble, the unending flirting over supper.

You’ll still love me when I’m fat, right Mark?

I’d like a little tubby for the hubby.

And he’s pondering their moments of transparency, of initimacy, on rainy days over ice cream.

If you get hurt because of me, then I won’t forgive myself.

He thinks about the one boy who made the headlines to his life for several months. He then remembers them getting caught and how terrified he was. He remembers wanting to run away from it all, but then others stepped in to remind him of something important.

We’re family now. We’re not against you.

He thinks about a letter that read ‘I love you’. He can almost hear the same words as they were spoken to him in his room last night. His body remembers the slow dance and the warmth he felt, and that he wish had never left.

He thinks about how terrified he is still. And then thinks about what he has to do next.

One more week until LA, Gyeommie!

Mark and I always talked about it when we were trainees. I had never been on a plane then.

But not America. Not yet. I can’t wait.

Yugyeom, I need to ask you a favour. It won’t be easy, but… I need you to do this for me.

 

Now Jinyoung is strolling back into the airport. He’s towing the weight of his suitcase behind him, while carrying the burden that has emerged on his chest. He’s trying to stay in touch with reality as he dodges the people hurrying to their next destination.

He finds Mark and Yugyeom waiting for him, having had their tickets and luggage checked in, now at the entrance to the security gates.

“Hey, did you get what you were looking for?” Mark asks, as he’s greeted by a troubled face. “Hey -- what’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”

It takes all of Jinyoung’s focus to remain calm and undeterred by the indescribable worry that begins to appear on Mark’s face.

“Our manager reported what happened to the head office, and now they’re conducting a formal investigation.”

“Wait what?”

“Jaebum asked me to stay and testify.”

Mark’s eyes bore deep into Jinyoung’s brain. He tells himself that those worried eyes will haunt him for the rest of his life.

“But we’re supposed to go to L.A. together.”

“You should go. You haven’t been home in two years.”

Jinyoung sees Yugyeom’s own sorrowful expression, as his hand comes up to gently squeeze Mark’s shoulder. Mark turns around, only to see Yugyeom’s own gaze silently reaffirm Jinyoung’s words.

“Were you always planning to stay?”

“Jaebum and manager-hyung will be coming to pick me up. They want to make sure the company will still support us if a scandal breaks.”

Mark looks down and away in an effort to hide his tears.

“Please don’t do this. Come with us.”

Jinyoung himself begins to cry, his voice faltering as he continues to speak.

“I’m scared, Mark. I can’t go to LA without knowing if you’ll be able to come back to Seoul by the end of it. I told you I can’t forgive myself if something bad happens to you because of me.”

“But I'm responsible too,I should stay with you.”

“I’m not sure if this is the best thing for us right now.”

Mark turns to stare directly at him, eyes welling with tears. The sight is heartbreaking, searing itself into Jinyoung’s memory.

“What are you saying?”

“Please go without me, Mark. Please go.”

Mark’s in tears. It doesn’t take much effort for Yugyeom to guide him through to the security bay.

“We’ll talk when we land?”

“Please take care of him, Yugyeom.” Jinyoung replies, tears flooding his eyes.

Yugyeom nods solemnly in acceptance of his responsibility. Mark’s protests turn to mumbles as he struggles to find the words, all the while Yugyeom is pulling them and their collective luggage back into the line.

I love you Mark. Jinyoung mouths silently.

Other travellers begin to line up behind Mark, obscuring him from Jinyoung’s view -- followed by his own hands as his covers his face in grief.

 

To Be Continued.

 


A/N: I first want to thank everyone who supported this fanfic through their subscriptions, their comments, their upvotes, and their views!

As for "To Be Continued"... for the three weeks I've known that this was the ending that I wanted to go with, to conclude the seven chapters (and accompanying interludes). Nevertheless, I'd rather not officially end on such a sad note.

As such I've decided that I will be writing a sequel! I can't give a definite date as to when it will start, but I've made the story AFF if you wish to subscribe and get updates as soon as it does, most likely in the next week.

In the meanwhile, if you've enjoyed what you've read, please upvote or comment! 
It's been quite a journey these past few weeks, and it wouldn't have been so without your enthusiasm as readers.

UPDATE: FORTY PERCENT TRUE is live!