Interlude 8: Enablers

Thirty Percent True

Jinyoung repeatedly mumbled “delicious” with a mouth full of sashimi, placing another empty platter to the side. He and Mark had waited two hours to eat supper. This was after they suffered the humiliation of watching their teammates devour the fish that Mark and Jinyoung caught with their bare hands. Their only consolation was a bag of chips – that and a sore-winning Youngjae taunting them with fat cheeks and barren dishes.

Across from a ravenous Jinyoung sat Mark with eyes bright and twinkling.

“You have to thank your Dad for me.” Jinyoung said in between chews.

“I definitely will.”

“After everything I did for Yugyeom and Bambam, they betrayed me.”

“It’s the producers’ fault, they’re enabling them.”

“They should be fired.”

Mark breathed in the calming scent of miso soup before sipping it, a ritual he followed through with a priestly consistence. If Jinyoung was less hungry, he might have displayed the same table manners.

“I’m so full now.” Mark said, putting down the empty bowl and leaning back in his chair.

“Don’t pull out your wallet yet, we need to order more food.” Jinyoung demanded, pushing the remaining salmon on to his own plate.

“But then you’re going to get fat.”

Jinyoung’s face turn slack-jawed, mid-chew. Mark leaned in, cocking his head to the right.

“And… I’ll love cuddling you just the same, Jinyoungie!”

“You’ll still love me when I’m fat, right hyung?”

“I’d like a little tubby for the hubby.”

“What about if I go bald?”

“Now you’re pushing it, Jinyoung.”

Jinyoung smiled.

“When my aunt sends me money, I’ll pay you back.”

“You don’t have to.”

“Well how can I repay you then, hyung?”

Mark leaned back in his chair and scratched his head.

“Maybe we can stop by somewhere on the walk back to the dorm?”

“A bakery… a coffee shop… a dark alleyway?” Jinyoung raised an eyebrow in emphasis of the last suggestion.

Mark pursed his lips, trying to suppress a grin. Then Jinyoung raised his hand, flagging down a waiter to order more food.