Promise

Different Worlds

"KYAAAA ! LOOK ! SEHUN OPPA BOUGHT THE NEW MCM BAG ! I NEED IT !"

 
"OMG KAI OPPA'S PHONE CASE IS SAPPHIRE BLUE ! JUST LIKE MINE !"
 
"OMOOO ! YESTERDAY CHEN OPPA ATE A STRABERRY SUNDAE ! AH, I WISH I WAS THAT SPOON !"
 
My name is Kim Nari and this is what I go through every single day at school. The Daeguk High School... how to put it simply... a school where only brainless fan girls go.
 
 
And not any kind of fangirl, this school is totally biased about worldwide K-Pop group that I hate so much, EXO. They're just a bunch of pretentious pretty boys. Okay I have to admit I'm a bit jealous to see people like them having so much success without having to work their butts off. I'm raging everything I see them on TV, in a magazine, on a screen or ever when I hear their voices. They make me sick. And the worse thing is that my best friend Naeun is also addicted. We were both taking our break at the restaurant where we're working, when there are no customers we sit and catch up with our everyday lives.
 

"Can't you just try listening to them ? I'm sure you'll like it !" She said handing me an earphone.
 
"No thanks, being brainstormed by them is not really my purpose in life." I said.
 
"Tsk." She said before plugging it into her ear. 
 
"Oi, Kim-poo." I heard. My eyes widened. I turned.
 
"Joanna ?" I said looking at the Barbie doll standing in front of me. Joanna Yoo, the only daughter of one of the most influent Korean businessmen. This girl is do damn rich and so damn irritating at the same time.
 
"What are you doing here ?" I said.
 
"It was the only way to reach you, when are you going to get a damn cell phone ? Anyway, I need you to come and take Diamond for a walk after school. He's lazy these days." She said.
 
"Diamond ? Your 10 centimeters dog ? Where do you want me to take him for a walk, in the bathroom ?" I said.
 
"Very funny. Bring your cheap at my house after class or you're kicked out." She said before walking out of the restaurant, followed by her army of brainless barbie doll soldiers.
 
"When are you going to claim respect ?" Naeun said.
 
"I think it's no use." I said.
 
"It is ! You can't just let her talk to you like that ?" She said.
 
"She pays me 200$ just to walk her stupid dogs, of course I can." I said. 
 
"You already make enough money at the restaurant, you don't even need this ty job." She said.
 
"I do, Naeun ah. Or else I wouldn't be doing it." I said. Just then, some music played in Naeun's bag.
 
'Geurae wolf, naega wolf, awooo !'
 
"Don't tell me you set this stupid song as your ringtone." I said. This girl is helpless.
 
"Shut up, it's catchy." She said and took out her phone. I shook my head.
 
"Urgh, kill me now." She said and put back her phone into her bag.
 
"Not answering ?" I said.
 
"Nah, it's that idiot Sungwoo." She said.
 
"Are you dating him again ?" I said.
 
"Hell no ! I clearly told him it was over but since he kept on calling and calling, I firmly-"
 
"Naeun. You're back with him." 
 
"I didn't do it on purpose, you know when you loved someone it's so hard to let go !" She said. I sighed and shook my head.
 
"You'll never change... Even after everything he did to you ?" I said.
 
"Bad, bad !" She said and hit her own head like an idiot. How come I'm even friends with this person ? Just then, a group of high school students walked in and sat at a table.
 
"Let's just... serve." I said. She nodded. As we took their orders and served them, and noticed there was an awful silence. An abnormal one.
 
"That's weird. Isn't it the time when they all reunite to blabber about the 12 idiots ?" I said.
 
"You didn't hear the news ?" She whispered.
 
"What news ?" I said.
 
"Baekhyun's dating news came out this morning, he's dating SNSD's Taeyeon." She said.
 
"And that's why they're like that ? I thought someone was dead !" I said.
 
"Of course someone's dead, their chance of dating him !" She said.
 
"And how come you're not sad ?" I said.
 
"My bias is Kai, I couldn't care less about who Baekhyun's dating." She said. I rolled my eyes. After the last service, we took off our aprons, took our pay, bid goodbye to the staff and walked out.
 
"I gotta go, see you tomorrow !" I said.
 
"Go home carefully !" She said. I nodded, waved and started walking home. Aiish, only if we had a car... After 20 minutes walking, I arrived home. My house isn't really the kind of house anyone would dream for but I like it. It's cozy. I took off my shoes and walked into the house.
 
 
"I'm here !" I shouted as I threw my bag on the couch.
 
"Oh, Nari ah you're here ?" Mom said running to me.
 
"Yep, where's Jaebum ?" I said.
 
"At the arcade." She said.
 
"Again ?! Aiish is he planning to put all his money into this stupid thing ?" I said.
 
"I tried to tell him you know." She said. I shook my head.
 
"Anyway, see you later." I said.
 
"Where are you going ?" She said.
 
"To Joanna Yoo's house." I said.
 
"Joanna Yoo ?! From Yoo group ?! Omo ! You should change, you can't show up there like that !" She said.
 
"Mom, I'm only going to take her dogs for a walk, she didn't invite me to eat cookies and drink tea." I said.
 
"Oh... I see... Ummm... bring me some salmon when you'll come back." She said with a sad smile. The one suffering the most wasn't me but my mom... I could say I didn't care about this school or the other students bullying me but she did, and it broke her heart to see that I wasn't a 'it girl' but the commoner everyone avoids. It also makes me sad to see her so concerned...
 
"I'll be okay." I said and kissed her forehead with a smile. I then changed, took my bag and went out. I walked to Joanna's house. It only took me about 10 minutes to get there but I think it took me more time to get from the main entrance to the dogs' room. Yes, the dogs' room.
 
"Alright, do your job. And well ! Or else you're fired." She said and walked away, arms crossed. Tsk...
 
 
"Come here buddy..." I said grabbing Diamond. I picked him up and took him for his walk in the streets. I liked this kind of days. Sunny day with some fresh breeze blowing. As I was walking, I was greeting the whole neighborhood. They all knew me anyway because of my numerous part jobs, and I sometimes deliver some things for them for some extra money. And wow, I understand why she wanted me to walk him, he's slowly becoming a fattie. I bet he eats more than me.
 
"Noona !" I heard. I turned and saw Jaebum running to me. When he reached me, he was panting.
 
"Jaebum ah what's wrong ?!" I said.
 
"Noona... please... I need... money..." He blurted between his breaths.
 
"You can go to hell." I said and turned but he rushed in front of me.
 
"Noona please, I lost at the game and they'll beat me up to death if I don't give them their money back !" He said.
 
"I guess that's your fate." I said before walking away again until he stopped me.
 
"Noona, please... I beg. I won't take your money anymore, I promise. And I'll all return it to you." He said.
 
"Fine. How much ?" I said.
 
"100$." He said. My eyes widened.
 
"Where would I get that from ?! Are you crazy ?!" I said.
 
"Come on noona, I know you got paid at the restaurant !" He said. I sighed and took out a 100$ bill from my pocket and gave it to him.
 
"Thank you so much, I promise I'll return it all to you !" He said with a smile.
 
"Jaebum ah I don't need you to return it, I need you to stop wasting your money in those stupid machines. All the money you spend there, it could do great help to us you know. We're not rich unless most of the people that go there, they can play all they want and loose all the money they want but we can't. You know dad's in jail now and mom doesn't have the help of anyone to raise us. Please, make her task easier." I said putting my hand on his shoulder. He lowered his head.
 
"I'm sorry..." He said. I kissed his cheek.
 
"I'll see you at home, be careful." I said and continued my walk with Diamond. I really wish he would stop doing this... ever since my dad went to jail for illegal gambling 5 years ago, she didn't have any more ressources for the household. I started working part time at 14 and Jaebum stared along with me. At that time, he was only 12 but we had no choice. My mom works as a ticket seller at the train station, it's very far away from home. She wakes up at 5;am, goes to work, comes back at 3:pm then goes to her second job as a cashier at the market until 11:pm. The house is almost all the time empty except on week ends. My dream is to get the money to get dad out of prison (not because I want it but because mom wants him home), make mom stop working and buy Jaebum the console he wants. One day, I'll make it, I promise.